Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Who got Guzzi?

Lifer

Re: Who got Guzzi?

Honestly, If I was going to go for a Guzzi I would get the simplest one - V7 stone. I like the looks. I dig the weight. I dig the low rpm torque and going back to the basics of motorcycling....There is a nice one being sold on CL for about $6.5k new looking

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

I have an 08 Sport 1200. Essentially a Breva with some dress up. Breva is essentially a naked Norge. Only sold one year in the states in that configuration. Let me know if you ever want to take it for a spin, fun bike, definitely different. I don't want to sound like I'm spamming you, but it is for sale. You are welcome to ride it just to see if you like the Guzzi feel. Stay away from the first couple years of the 8V engines they had an oil overheat issue.

Jim Hamlin would probably give you a decent deal on a trade in for your tiger... I think he's officially dealing Guzzi's now.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I have an 08 Sport 1200. Essentially a Breva with some dress up. Breva is essentially a naked Norge. Only sold one year in the states in that configuration. Let me know if you ever want to take it for a spin, fun bike, definitely different. I don't want to sound like I'm spamming you, but it is for sale. You are welcome to ride it just to see if you like the Guzzi feel. Stay away from the first couple years of the 8V engines they had an oil overheat issue.
    I just had double knee replacement surgery. Not sure when I can ride again but it is unlikely before Fall.

This thread is just a little research.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I just had double knee replacement surgery. Not sure when I can ride again but it is unlikely before Fall.

This thread is just a little research.
    No problem. I'm not trying to push the bike on you, just offering it up if you want to take it out for an afternoon. From other threads you've had, I doubt the Sport would be a good fit for you long term. But in a couple few hours it would give you a decent idea if you like the larger Guzzi drive train. The smaller V7 series is a great choice as well.
    Good luck.

Who got Guzzi? I do. I've had my V11 LeMans for almost 10 years.

Who got Guzzi?-dscn1119-jpg

I like it a lot but they aren't for everyone. If you have knee issues a Stelvio might be your best bet.

I had knee issues. My range of motion in the left knee was -6 to less than 100 degrees. After six months of physical therapy if I work hard I should be 0-130 in both knees. Looking on Cycle-Ergo shows my knee angle would be 77 degrees on the V11. About the same as the SV650S I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Jim Hamlin would probably give you a decent deal on a trade in for your tiger... I think he's officially dealing Guzzi's now.
    I have no plans to sell the Tiger, ever. Added the touring seatt lower Renthal bars like the Sport, Penske shock and strut inserts, heated grips, Trax bags - it's just about perfect for my needs.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-06-15 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I owned a 2007 Griso 1100 for a few years, great bike, the 1200 is even better. No mechanical issues whatsoever with the bike, Seacoast for a dealer, no others compare! No problem with parts supply. The forum I like is GuzziTech.com and excellent on-line supplies from MG Cycle, Moto Guzzi Parts and Accessories available online at MGCycle.com. Easy maintenance, adjust the valves yourself, change oils easily.

The Griso ergos didn't quite work for me in the long run, long reach to the bars, short distance to the pegs, but if you have long arms and short legs, should be perfect. I did fit a different ProTaper bar, that helped. Kinda miss it.

I like the Norge and the Stelvio, and would probable get a California 1400 but for the [expletive deleted] forward controls and footboards.

BTW, the national Guzzi meet was a couple of weeks ago at Keene. Go to Tutto Italiano at Larz in August, and IMOC in Sturbidge in September. Pretty sure Seacoast has demos.

My '07:

Photo by Mark Wilson Images:

... Barre MA:

... damn, now I have to get me another Guzzi ...
    Thought that Griso looked familiar and then Pow! A picture from when I still had hair, damn kids....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I have no plans to sell the Tiger, ever. Added the touring seatt lower Renthal bars like the Sport, Penske shock and strut inserts, heated grips, Trax bags - it's just about perfect for my needs.
    I hear you, mines perfect for me too.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Except for the "TDF." Every time I park in a lot, some old dude comes up and tells me about how he used to have a Bonneville, Tiger, etc. I have no problem with it: you meet a guy who road a 1965 Bonneville across the country and back, pretty damned hard-core.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

@Falko, I looked at a Sport 1200 at Seacoast, October 2007 I think it was, maybe you bought that one? I liked the looks of it, still do. Could be that it doesn't have the ergo issues of the Griso, long reach to bar, short reach to pegs, which is discussed on the guzzitech forum, what bars to get, what pegs to get, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    There is a nice one being sold on CL for about $6.5k new looking
    This one? 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200

@duganc1717, more pics from that ride, 'way back when Kenn still had the Suzuki:

Last edited by whynot; 07-07-15 at 11:04 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    @Falko, I looked at a Sport 1200 at Seacoast, October 2007 I think it was, maybe you bought that one? I liked the looks of it, still do. Could be that it doesn't have the ergo issues of the Griso, long reach to bar, short reach to pegs, which is discussed on the guzzitech forum, what bars to get, what pegs to get, and so on.

This one? 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200
    I bought mine two years ago in CT. Mine looks just like that one in the CL ad. Looks like my toolbox and vacuum too....

The reach to the bars isn't bad, I have a 34 inseam and the leg room is ample. I've never really had an issue with the supposed heat from the engine people talk of either. My legs got hotter on my FJR than the Guzzi. It's a fun bike, probably the smoothest transmission I've ever had on a bike and the Sport gets a throatier pipe than the Norge or Breva.

Lifer

I've developed a crush recently on the Guzzi V7 Stone... But 48hp and 0-60 in 6 sec?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I've developed a crush recently on the Guzzi V7 Stone... But 48hp and 0-60 in 6 sec?!
    In the immortal words of Peter @ GMD Computrack Boston, "It may be heavy, but at least it's slow."

He was talking about the Honda RC51 (or perhaps it was the Superpigeon) at the time, but it applies here. You don't buy such a bike because of how fast it moves you, rather you buy it because of the way it moves you.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Damn. That thing with the rust colored tank does something for me.
    Much like the modern Bonnie, it's probably the kind of bike I need in my life.
    Simple, no frills, boring, throw some bags on it if you must, take it places it's not supposed to be an live to tell the tale, and almost have no fear of it costing you your license.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Moto Guzzi is basically still making BMW airheads that handle better. I haven't owned one (yet), but I have always liked them, and have had some experience with them. Guzzis have their own rhythm, which you have to adapt to, but once you do, they work great.

Last year I spent a few months working in CA, and couldn't take my bike due to scheduling. A friend there lent me a '91 Moto Guzzi 1000S, with about 100K on it, for the duration. The first couple of weeks I was all discombobulated, and it just didn't seem to do what I wanted it to do, in the way I wanted it done. Then I finally clicked, and grokked the way it actually handled and stopped and accelerated, and matched my timing to its response curves, and enjoyed the hell out of it. You can really hustle them along and make good time (and have fun) once you get the hang of the bike.

I have a shortlist out of all the bikes I've tested, of about a half a dozen contenders to replace my Ducati Monster if/when it needs to be replaced someday. The Griso is on that list. I enjoyed that bike when I rode one. I also am researching sport-touring bikes for two-up with the wife. The Norge is currently the leading contender (although I'm only about halfway through testing the options).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

We have V7II Stone set up demo at Seacoast Sport Cycle along with other
    Modes (audace, MGX21,V9 Bonner etc...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at Guzzi's lineup the other day and... they're not making a lot of appealing bikes. The V7's look nice, but handling and performance don't seem to be great. I like the Griso, but not enough to ever own one. The Stelvio and Norge are both kind of ugly... and the cruisers appeal to some, but not me. I am surprised they don't have a more diverse lineup.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    We have V7II Stone set up demo at Seacoast Sport Cycle along with other
    Modes (audace, MGX21,V9 Bonner etc...).

What's the difference between the V7II and V7III?
    When do u start doing demos, or what's the best day to come in?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Damn. That thing with the rust colored tank does something for me.
    Much like the modern Bonnie, it's probably the kind of bike I need in my life.
    Simple, no frills, boring, throw some bags on it if you must, take it places it's not supposed to be an live to tell the tale, and almost have no fear of it costing you your license.
    The Olive green has my attention... And the end of your message is exactly what I am looking for... I just don't want it to be TOO boring...

Basically I'm considering a leftover Honda CB1100, a Triumph Scrambler. Or the Moto Guzzi V7.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    What's the difference between the V7II and V7III?
    When do u start doing demos, or what's the best day to come in?
    V7III are slightly restyled, a touch more power and a lower MSRP. They are set to start arriving later this month.

Demos available any day - just stop in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I looked at Guzzi's lineup the other day and... they're not making a lot of appealing bikes. The V7's look nice, but handling and performance don't seem to be great. I like the Griso, but not enough to ever own one. The Stelvio and Norge are both kind of ugly... and the cruisers appeal to some, but not me. I am surprised they don't have a more diverse lineup.
    They are a niche company, making niche products. They aren't trying to cover all the bases, and I think it would be a mistake for them to try. I think the bikes they make do fit their niches very well, for the most part. They are very appealing bikes, to the people they appeal to. The Griso is on my shortlist, and I'm considering a Norge. If I was considering an adventure bike, the Stelvio would be a serious contender for me. If I was considering a cruiser, I'd be choosing between an H-D Road King or a M-G California, which I was impressed with on the testride I took.

Also note that M-G is part of larger company, which also includes Aprilia, Vespa, and Piaggio, and which thus covers a lot more of the market overall.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I think there is a stelvio at National for 7499

My friend is selling his 08 Norge, well sorted, nice bike.

MG sells only a couple hundred bikes in the US a year. We are not their market. The euro crowd is more in tune to the styling.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast