Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

5 Year helmets??

5 Year helmets??

I knew helmets are only good for one drop, but I had no idea that they had a shelf life! 5 Years on a helmet is what they are telling me. I priced a new Arai helmet yesterday and fell over. $765.00!!! YIKES!!

Any one know of helmets at a better price??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

5 Year helmets??

I have two arias that I bought last year and the year before. I bought two HJCs for racing this year and haven't touched my arai since. I paid $160 for both of them, and a tinted shield.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

5 Year helmets??

Where did you buy them?

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

5 Year helmets??

I just bought my new KBC helmet from Brockton Cycle center for less than $150, and bought a mirrored shield through the internet for about $30. Might want to check that place out. They have a good variety of helmets in all prices. I needed a new helmet - mine was coming up on 5 years old and it actually hurt to wear it because it was so worn out.

Brockton Cycle Center

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

5 Year helmets??

I have an HJC and I thought it was good. I picked ud this new Arai and it was lighter than air. It looks like a Power Ranger with more air ducts than helmet! It was gorgeous. Mine weighs a ton next to this. I like the new Arai but I hate the $765.00 price tag.

5 Year helmets??

holy crap big red, thats a smoking price. i havent seen them that low. good find.

ive never had anything but an hjc, but ive never had a reason to look any further. from what ive heard the main difference between hjc and the $500.00 helmets are a little wieght savings, and less wind noise. i have been down with my old hjc on and it protected my noggin just fine. good luck

Tony
    '02 954RR

Things that make you go hmmmm

5 Year helmets??

Many folks with the Scorpion line seem to like them, myself and blackvfr are two of those people. HJC price, but better features.

5 Year helmets??

That price for the Arai is a little ridiculous. Most places seem to sell the "premium" helmets for around 400 bucks. Still too much, but not out of the question. On the other hand, the latest test data shows the cheaper helmets actually protecting you brain better because the non-snell shells are softer and absorb more energy.

Paul_E_D

5 Year helmets??

HJC are great!
    I love my Shoei but after my last Helmet purchace of an HJC I will get another one. I bought a Med size for passengers, but I squeezed into it surprisingly well. The comfort/air vents and noise level while riding were all satistactory!

My Shoei RF900 When they first came out was $400, I got a discount of $75 getting it at cost. Now you can get it MSRP for $400. Too much IMHO. But I am not complaining, it's what I wanted and have been happy with it.

Next Helmet is either an HJC, or KBC !

Ask Jaynnus about her Scorpion, I think she is the only one I know with one? Not sure if she liked it or not

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

5 Year helmets??

Got my passenger a hjc cl-14 at Brockton Cycle, New Enough has them for less, or had them for less, don't know their inventory currently...she likes it, I tried it on, I'd buy one, I have an Arai currently...

Kevin
    '05 Warrior
    Quincy, MA
    AIM: BostonianR6

5 Year helmets??

a conspiricy by helmet manufacturers to sell more helmets

FWIW, my son bought a $750 Arai RX7 @ Brocton Cycle for $350

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

5 Year helmets??

How could they sell a $750.00 helmet for $350.00. I heard that places will drop the price on thier helmets when the manufacturing date is three years old or better. The helmet is only good for 5 years beyond the manufactures date. If it sits on a shelf for four years, it only has one year left. That would not be a bargain.

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

5 Year helmets??

Scorpion helmets are sweet looking. I really wanted to get one, but went with what fit me best. Sizes may vary too with each brand. I mostly fit into XS, but can fit into a Shoei XXS. Your best bet is to try them on...they all fit differently.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

5 Year helmets??

You are so right Ninja! Although I love the look of the new Arai, the helmet is built for pill heads. I'm more of a pumpkin head and they just don't fit right. The HJC's fit me well but they are heavy!

Everybody to the limit!

5 Year helmets??

Originally posted by BusaBoy
    You are so right Ninja! Although I love the look of the new Arai, the helmet is built for pill heads. I'm more of a pumpkin head and they just don't fit right. The HJC's fit me well but they are heavy!
    Try an HJC AC-10 or AC-11. They are made of "Advanced Composite Polywhatsits" which makes them lighter and shit.

5 Year helmets??

The helmet is only good for 5 years beyond the manufactures date. If it sits on a shelf for four years, it only has one year left.
    Can I get some proof of this? Sounds like major BS. I'd understand maybe a racing sanctioning body not wanting older helmets, but it's not like they disintegrate after five years. That's some cinderella-at-midnight horseshit...

Everybody to the limit!

5 Year helmets??

Originally posted by Proulx06
    Can I get some proof of this? Sounds like major BS. I'd understand maybe a racing sanctioning body not wanting older helmets, but it's not like they disintegrate after five years. That's some cinderella-at-midnight horseshit...
    Apparently the foam liner, which is the part that compresses to protect your brain from excessive G shocks, degrades over time. I don't know of any proof other than the manufacturer's stating this, but if you'd like I can hit you in the head with a baseball bat wearing a new and old helmet and you can tell me which hurts more

5 Year helmets??

The media between the shells that absorb the impact disinigrates/breaks down after five years. There are places that will not even let you on thier track if your helmet is beyond the 5 year mark.

5 Year helmets??

The media between the shells that absorb the impact disinigrates/breaks down after five years. There are places that will not even let you on thier track if your helmet is beyond the 5 year mark.
    most are 2 or 3 years tops

5 Year helmets??

I looked in side my helmet and I could not find a date. I brought to MOTO World and they said that whoever sold it to me may not have wanted that date to be known for a reason! Not sure how true that is but I'm buying a new one anyway.

Lifer

5 Year helmets??

This thread is starting to overflow with bullshit and misconceptions. So let me clear some of this up.

1.) I have felt no weight difference with my HJCs and my Arais, so either I have super neck msucles or some people are whiney.

2.) Manufacturers recommend replacing a helmet after a max of five years of use. They degrade through normal use, cleaning, secreted oils and sweat from your head, and other handling and environmental factors. This 5 years is not a shelf life or a will self destruct after such date.

3.)Noone that sold you a helmet neglected putting a date on it because they didn't want you to know when it was made. That's pure bullshit.

4.)Racing organizations recommend replacing your helmet every 2 years max. I have not seen a well mantained helmet that with the required certifications turned away. They are providing the safest environment possible so their guidlines are stricter. There are no bike manufacturers that require a one piece leather or other equipment to use their bikes. Racing organizations do. There's a difference.

5.)Old helmets are sold cheaper to make room for current production stock, this is done in every single branch of retail for the same reason.

Did I miss anything?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

5 Year helmets??

Yes you did. These sound like your opinions and may well be accurate. They also may not be. MOTO over in Acton will not sell a helmet that is beyyond 5 years for the reason I have already mentioned. It was defined as 5 years period. Not 5 years of wear, not secretions, simply 5 years past manufacturers date. The people at this store as well as several bikers there yesterday validated this theory. Call them or email them for clarification. Also, the model HJC I have weighs a full lb. more the the new Arai. As you know, 1 lb. makes a huge differance on the road.

5 Year helmets??

Yes you did. These sound like your opinions and may well be accurate. They also may not be. MOTO over in Acton will not sell a helmet that is beyyond 5 years for the reason I have already mentioned. It was defined as 5 years period. Not 5 years of wear, not secretions, simply 5 years past manufacturers date. The people at this store as well as several bikers there yesterday validated this theory. Call them or email them for clarification. Also, the model HJC I have weighs a full lb. more the the new Arai. As you know, 1 lb. makes a huge differance on the road.
    Damn, I wonder what they do with the five year old helmets if they believe that...I'd take a five year old Arai anyday. Maybe I hate life, or maybe I don't believe what you're saying. I have styrofoam $1.99 coolers from my childhood that still hold ice and beer like fuckin' CHAMPS...no degradation there...

5 Year helmets??

Just found this on the SNELL website...true or not, I'm not sure I'd get a new helmet if my five year old one was in good shape. But that's just me and my worthless skull...

---
    Why replace helmet every five years?
    The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.
    ---

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast