Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

hand held gps

hand held gps

best 1 for the price good place thats got um

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

hand held gps

Try GPSonsale.com. I got one from them for 450. Which was the best price at the time for the Garmin 76cs which was one of the better ones when I was looking. Let me know how you do.

hand held gps

Garmin eTrex. Cheap, fully functional.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

From amazon its less than $90, but you can get instore pickup online at amazon for right around $100 if you want it now. I use it constantly, best bang for the buck without a doubt (and I own 3 diff GPS units)

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

hand held gps

Just a toy no real use. I have had one for 8 years.

1. Can not read it while on bike. Display to small
    2. Can not read it when driving a car. Display to small
    3. When hiking in the mtns you are always losing signal.

Does anyone use one hooked up to a laptop? What software you using? Is it sharware/freeware? I think that is when it is most powerful and useful.

Mike

~ FTrain

hand held gps

I have a different unit for use with the laptop/windows ce device. Its most useful with that setup, but i NEVER lose signal in the mountains with my garmin (and thats in more than 200 miles of hiking along the long trail). OK, well i lost signal once, at the bottom of a deep ravine, but thats it. I lose signal FAR more often in the city (daily or even hourly occurance).

The Garmin eTrex is a good general purpose unit, use it to do a breadcrumb route, and download to PC after the fact to see the route.

As far as s/w goes, the serial interface to GPS units is standardized so choose the software you like to use, and they pretty much all work. I use Rand McNally mapping software for some things and Streets & Trips for other things.

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

lol i'm getting it for the son learning toy

but i allso figured i would stick it in my pocket

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

hand held gps

I still use mine but I am not impressed with my Garmin hand held. I use the bread crumb trail for hiking also but you do lose signal in mostly vallys while hiking up in the White Mountains. I also use it to ski to see how many miles I went that day.

I wish it was more powerful so I can drive to any street by entering the name. Instead you need to preplan the route on your pc and then download it.

Of the two softwares you mentioned are any free?

~ FTrain

hand held gps

Do a few Geocaches in and around the area. makes getting out for a hike a bit more of an adventure.

go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and input your zip code to find the hidden treasures close to home.

~ FTrain

Lifer

hand held gps

I would maybe consider selling you my Etrex..

I have the eTrex Vista, the top of the line model, and I have the data package with detailed roads of the US. It is barely used at all.

Like others have said, it is mostly a toy.

I can actually read mine on the bike, but it is seriously dangerous to actually press any of the buttons while riding.

If you take the extra time to plan your route and download it to the GPS ahead of time, it can be nice for a trip. But that would require 1-2 hours of sitting in front of the computer the night before. It is easier to just ride around with a $1.50 map in your pocket and pull it out.

However... I would say on a TLR you will definitely have to get clever with the mounting, or how you power it. The vibration on my SV would cause the eTrex to cut out when you got on the engine. The vibration actually causes the power terminals to vibrate enough. You'd basically have to wire it into the bike, and make sure everything is soldered securely, and try to dampen vibration. Very annoying cause the thing takes almost a minute to boot back up again. There are all kinds of kits to get the thing working better on a motorcycle, but since it isn't really that valuable I never bothered. I have never really used it on the VFR, but the little use I got out of it seemed to indicate that the V-4 is smooth enough that it won't cut out.

Ben

hand held gps

I got the mtn bike kit. It was these little springs that you put in were the batteries goes and stop the problem with vibration. Used it on a TL1000R for a year. I love the max speed feature. lol
    Cheap and simple.

~ FTrain

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Re: hand held gps

Originally posted by beet
    best 1 for the price good place thats got um
    buy my bike

Bras cause cancer.

hand held gps

yup, i use mine for GPS veriried max speed, and also for bread crumb tracking. I wouldn't even consider trying to actually use it while riding. its sort of just a data capture tool for me...

hand held gps

I have put mine on the bike. I glance at it at stop lights and such. Its nice to know where you are. Here is a pic.

Here is the Software I use. Mapsource came with the GPS. Its not bad.

hand held gps

I've got an etrex legend. It mounts on the bike nicely with the leather case you can buy for it. Has a clip on back and you can just clip it onto the screen support frame. I like it for data logging, average speed and you can see where you were when you get home. If you are out exploring it gives you a general idea of where you are. You definitly need to buy (or steal from kazaa) the software with more detailed base maps. The legend only has 8MB, enough to have detailed maps of your surrounding area. I would spring for a model with more memory.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

hand held gps

Magellan Map 330 - a bit older, only 8mb of writable memeory. Easy to read, cheap to buy, as accurate as any other GPS...it works for me.

It's very easy to upload routes and download tracks.

-Matt

Re: Re: hand held gps

Originally posted by Nikon
    buy my bike
    lol

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: hand held gps

Originally posted by beet
    lol
    dont laugh - buy it - I need a service done to my bike and I can't afford it

Bras cause cancer.

hand held gps

I have 2 garmins, an Etrex Legend and a Gpsmap 60cs. The legend is small and in black and white. It is fine for hiking and when you have time to really look at the image. The 60cs is in color and with a bigger screen. I use that one on my sled and on the bike. It is simpler to use then the legend and comes with decent maps already in it. You can get more detailed map for your computer to download into the Garmins. Every GPS will lose satellites under heavy tree cover but should get them back when you get a view of the sky again.

hand held gps

Garmin 276 designed for marine use so it's waterproof, large display so it's easy to read, fast processor, cost around $600± but youll want extra memory so thay you will be able to load mapsource maps and leave them on it plan on spending $1k total. Streetpilot & Garmin V have similar capabilities but are not waterproof and not quite as fast a processor,

anything less is just a toy and you might as well get an e-trex for under $100

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON