Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To all occupants of lane 1 on the highway.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

When I am merging onto the highway amd still on the merge lane, touching my brakes to make you aware that i see you and am adjusting speed to allow for your right-of-way Here are two options for you. Which do you think is the correct one?

1. Drive as normal so I can gauge your speed and my merging gap.

2. Slow down and/or come to a complete stop on a busy highway. You fucking moron.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 09-17-11 at 07:45 PM.

Re: To all occupants of lane 1 on the highway.

Well, I'd say One, but I'm guessing the morons who you are frustrated with chose two.

ive seen option 2 way too many times. . . .

option 3: speed up while lol'ing

Lifer

My rule in this situation is to accelerate and make my own space.

If the driver I slip in ahead of was reasonable, I'll wave when I'm settled in the lane.

Fewer bad things can happen when I accelerate

I saw a driver chose option 2 the other day. Then a kind gentleman in a freightliner relocated his trunk into the guys back seat free of charge.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Lifer

That'll leave a mark

Driving in and around Stoneham is a shit show.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM
    My rule in this situation is to accelerate and make my own space.

If the driver I slip in ahead of was reasonable, I'll wave when I'm settled in the lane.

Fewer bad things can happen when I accelerate
    Not always possible.

Lifer

True,

Sometimes it seems the cager is trying to get in the way and stay there, but most of the time it is just stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by duey View Post
    I saw a driver chose option 2 the other day. Then a kind gentleman in a freightliner relocated his trunk into the guys back seat free of charge.
    you know how many times I've almost helped people with that. ok I get it people are stupid and don't know what a yield sign means but for fucks sake when there's any vehicle, never mind a huge one there, don't you look out for your own safety?

Lifer

Or - there's option 3: Pull up next to you, match your speed and leave you stranded out in the breakdown lane... Optional - curse at you and flip you off the whole time.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

When I am merging onto the highway amd still on the merge lane, touching my brakes to make you aware that i see you and am adjusting speed to allow for your right-of-way Here are two options for you. Which do you think is the correct one?

1. Drive as normal so I can gauge your speed and my merging gap.

2. Slow down and/or come to a complete stop on a busy highway. You fucking moron.
    what i do when i see oncoming/merging traffic is decided based on a few criteria;
    both parties speed, perceived rate of acceleration and projected orientation at the lane merge point
    traffic around me & availability of the lane to my left (easiest way to make a gap)

if the merger is projected to be ahead of me (at equal pace) and traffic is tight, i'll back out of the gas or even tap the brake to open a window. once i've done this, if the merger hits their brakes i will usually give them a couple seconds to figure out that they are ignoring a perfectly good merge point, and if they don't hammer it and jump into the spot, i'll hammer it, curse a blue streak, and move on down the road cursing the general stupidity of people.

if the merger is projected to be equal or behind me at the merge point, i'll get on the gas to further open a window behind me if possible.

bottom line, proper road etiquette dictates that you open a window for people if you can.. and if i saw merging traffic tap their brakes i'd be bewildered as to their intent.. now, seeing the brake tap as a communication as you indicate is something i'd not considered, but i'd say that might cause more problems and confusion than it can solve

note: the 'general stupidity of people' bit is obviously not directed at you, though it could be circumstantially interpreted that way.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Or - there's option 3: Pull up next to you, match your speed and leave you stranded out in the breakdown lane...
    i know someone who does this intentionally. i don't understand it..

Get out while you can

Find your own path

If someone is merging, and they make an attempt at doing correctly, I will work with them as needed. If I need to move, I'll move. If I need to slow down I'll tap the brakes. I might even speed up if it works out better that way.

If someone is merging and they are oblivious I won't do a thing for them and might make their life harder in the process. Example: Huge, stupid long merge lane and they dawdle down it at 35 mph, make no attempt to look at the traffic situation in the next lane and think they're going to cause me to slam on the brakes just to let their dumb ass in at the last second when the suddenly realize "their lane" disappeared. Hell no. They can visit the breakdown lane on that one.

*assuming I'm not on the bike*

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

On the water, you have give-way and stand-on boats. Stand-on boats are supposed to maintain speed and course so that give-way boats can make adjustments in course and speed to avoid a collision. I wonder if the same sort of rules apply on the road in some states? I wish people would just maintain speed so that merging traffic can adjust without any surprises.

I tend to hit merge lanes hard on the gas.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    On the water, you have give-way and stand-on boats. Stand-on boats are supposed to maintain speed and course so that give-way boats can make adjustments in course and speed to avoid a collision. I wonder if the same sort of rules apply on the road in some states? I wish people would just maintain speed so that merging traffic can adjust without any surprises.

I tend to hit merge lanes hard on the gas.
    I think that's the basic meaning of "yield."

I believe the vehicle entering the road on the on ramp is required to yield to any vehicles already on the roadway.

The trouble starts when:

The entering vehicle thinks yield means stop.
    Either vehicle is oblivious to their surroundings.
    The "stand-on" vehicle goes out of its way to make it hard to merge or in some way doesn't just simply "maintain a steady course."

Banned

Some people don't know the rules of the road here. :-)

5 years of driving and riding here.. counting over 100k miles ( i was a delivery driver and been all over new england ) i can safely safe that about 50% of MA drivers would not be allowed a drivers license ANYWHERE else in the world.
    I have noticed people do not have any distance presseption, have very hard time using their eyes/mirros to check for vehicles around them while doing any changes on their course. they panic driving next to any vehicle (from a motorcycle to an 18-wheeler) i find this pretty funny too. they create traffic jams on 3-4 lane highways. I have only seen this year.. it has to be a result of awful driving skills..

in MA if you are blind/deaf are ABLE TO renew your license.. like seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    i can safely safe that about 50% of MA drivers would not be allowed a drivers license ANYWHERE else in the world.
    I think it's more like 90% of the general public shouldn't be driving with the limited skill set they have.

D.C. and St. Louis scared me more with horrible drivers for a different reasons.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Or - there's option 3: Pull up next to you, match your speed and leave you stranded out in the breakdown lane... Optional - curse at you and flip you off the whole time.
    If there is a breakdown lane!

Got a variation of this last weekend: young woman driving a large SUV (ever notice how 'empowering' these things seem to be for, 'er, testy women) practically glued her grill onto the preceding cars trunk to shut me out all the while doing what else, talking on the phone.
    Nearly put me into the armco!

Last edited by Hammerspur; 09-18-11 at 02:35 PM.
    "A skittish motorcycle with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on Earth."
    T.E. Lawrence

2WT

what's worse than this? ROTARY TRAFFIC! Seems no one knows how to drive in a rotary these days, people in the rotary making complete stops to let traffic merge in LOL

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

I believe the vehicle entering the road on the on ramp is required to yield to any vehicles already on the roadway.

I was referring to the cars that don't have the yeidl sign. I think they should be required to maintain speed, if safe to do so.

Lifer

The trouble starts when:

Either vehicle is oblivious to their surroundings.
    The "stand-on" vehicle goes out of its way to make it hard to merge or in some way doesn't just simply "maintain a steady course."

YIELD Sign

COLOR: Red and white, with red letters.

Yield signMEANING: Slow down as you approach the intersection. Prepare to stop and yield the right-of-way to vehicles and pedestrians in or approaching the intersection. You must come to a full stop at a YIELD sign if traffic conditions require it. When you approach a YIELD sign, check carefully for traffic, and be prepared to stop.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

It does mean stop if there is no room to safely merge into traffic.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast