Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Harbor Freight lift table?

Lifer

Re: Harbor Freight lift table?

+1 The HF stand is for hacks on a budget, just like 98% of the rest of their tools.
    It is what it is.

That said, it gets my poop off the ground. Cannot stress what a luxury it is to work on a bike at chest height. I love mine.

I also use Rotella.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I liked mine, but mine was the older model and also had the option of air or pump lift.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I agree with loudbeard on this, at least for garandman...Not that the people who are happy with the HF ones are wrong, and to each his own, but I paid 900ish for the handy knockoff from the dude in NH (as I posted early on in this thread, a couple years ago)...for 600 bucks more, it’s air operated, heavier duty, better resale value, has side panels for mowers and quads, doesn’t need a new chock, has the removable wheel spinner deal for the rear wheel, and best of all, you won’t hate yourself as much for being penny wise and dollar foolish IF a bike ever falls off it (or the whole thing tips over).

I dunno, I’m the opposite of a snap-on type of tool purchaser, and I hate wasting money, but this doesn’t seem like the kind of tool where it’s wise to get the cheapest POS available. It’s a lifetime tool, with some legit concerns for safety and your wallet if it fails. Keep in mind that once the bike is in the air, sometimes you wanna apply some force to it with tools or a light breeze might blow thru. The whole point of it is to make working on your bikes easier and more enjoyable and that foot pedal to use air to raise and lower the bike is pretty damn luxurious; once it’s got air pressure, it’s not unusual for me to use some different heights while the same bike is in the chocks, depending what it is I’m wrenching on.

Lifer

What's the "removable wheel spinner deal for the rear wheel"? Drop out panel? The HF stand has a drop out bit too.

My biggest beef with the HF stand is the turned up edges. I'm just waiting to slice myself open on them. The smooth sides of a Handy or Titan lift are much nicer. It's been a long winter and I've been obsessed with shed and garage build threads and videos on the interwebs. Seen some pretty slick setups where folks jackhammer out a bit from their slab and fit the lift table into it. Pretty sweet. Can't really do that with a manual hydro operated HF lift. But then again you can't push the bike/table around your (small) shop if it's in a recess in the slab either. Upside of the turned up edges is you don't lose that 10mm socket when it gets repelled off the end of your ratchet at the speed of light and rolls to an alternate dimension, never to be seen again..

HF stand does its thing and probably won't fall over as long as you aren't doing anything extra dumb. I should be the acid test for this. I'm in the market for a 800+ lbs tourer and am definitely more than dumb enough to load it up on my HF table, then jack it to the stops. If this table is going to fall over, I'll be the one to make it happen. Stay tuned.

I would like to spring for one of those Handy/Titan style wheel chock/clamps one day. The HF one is exactly as awful as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I would like to spring for one of those Handy/Titan style wheel chock/clamps one day. The HF one is exactly as awful as it looks.
    The chock is absolute garbage, but it works when used in tandem with tie downs. It is an effective positive stop for the front tire. Roll it in, engage the edge guide, keep a hand on the bike while you secure your two tie downs, and there's nothing to worry about. I treat the bike the same as I would loading it into a pickup bed or trailer until I have my tie downs in place.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

What's the "removable wheel spinner deal for the rear wheel"? Drop out panel? The HF stand has a drop out bit too.
    It’s a panel that drops into the rear of the platform with rollers to allow the rear wheel to spin. I bought it thinking it would make cleaning those damn chrome spoked wheels on the road king easier. It doesn’t line up with the wheelbase of the bike when the front wheel is all the way forward in the chock and I’ve never used it...in fact, there are all kinds of issues with putting the Harley on the stand because of fenders and other parts on the bike being in the way of the chock, even if I try to put the rear wheel in there. Fortunately, I have plenty of bikes that need work and do fit on the stand!

Lifer

RK is a double cradle steel frame, no?
    You need one of these:

From what I can tell from youtubes, this is what the pros use too.

Ken Condon replied that he is satisfied with his HF table. He had posted previously he’d heard that the newer model was less stable then predecessors, but his concerns have been assuaged. Walked into HF today but forgot to look at one.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    what little I do about you,
    This part is correct.

ImBeek. Which one do you have, or are these models different? For the amount of work to be done, not sure that investment works for me, though I’m sure BOCO applies. Have to do some work on our brush mower as well so going to check width of that one.

Motorcycle Lifts | NHProEquip.com

Last edited by Garandman; 02-14-18 at 05:39 PM.

I think I have this one with some extras, like the side extensions that make it wide enough for a quad or mower: TITAN SDML-1000D MOTORCYCLE LIFT | NHProEquip.com

Colin, that kind of jack came with mine, and I’ve used it with the road king but I believe it doesn’t fit under the bike at rest so usually I put a different lower profile hydraulic jack there for the Harley.

Last edited by Imbeek; 02-14-18 at 06:56 PM.

Anyone use them for snowmobiles? Most sleds hav e a front track of around 48” so there’d have to be some sort of add-on. Think our touring sled is close to 700 lbs and 10’ long.

Posted a thread on the Yankee Beemers page and most everyone is satisfied with the HF model. A concern for me is garage real estate. Our garage in Boston is as small as a two car garage can be. And we just put the 3D printer in it, along with bicycles, motorcycles, snow thrower etc. etc.. In NH we have tons of floor space but that’s not where I usually work on Bikes.

One of the guys has a rail from Aerostich that is propped up on milk crates. Seems like a terrible idea on the face of it, but it’s light and simple.

Aerostich Aluminum Wheel Crate Workstand-Three-Crate :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Lifer

That, like many things Aerostich sells, is a complete fucking ripoff. If you can't fab something like that up after a short trip to the homecenter then you should probably back away from the hand tools.

The Box - Marietta Motorsports

That, like many things Aerostich sells, is a complete fucking ripoff. If you can't fab something like that up after a short trip to the homecenter then you should probably back away from the hand tools.

I felt that way about ALL of the work tables I was looking at when I decided I wanted one. I built one for $100 and a couple of hours with basic tools. Yes, I have to put the bikes on and off with a ramp (if you can load a bike into a truck or trailer than this is not an issue). It's on wheels. It's incredibly solid but doesn't weigh a ton. I cant collapse it to the floor where it just sits taking up space, so I use it as a work table for other things, and I can pile up an amazing amount of shit on it when not in use. Fancy vinyl flooring scraps make for easy clean up. It's sized so my gsxr can sit on it with both front and rear stands, but also has a chock and eye bolts for my MX bike.

It doesn't go up and down. But I'm fine with that trade off for rock solid stability. $100.00 and a small amount of time....

Edit: just looked at that aerostich piece of shit, you have got to be kidding me! $247.00????

Last edited by gixxer72; 02-15-18 at 12:28 PM. Reason: wtf

Gixxer72, posted pics anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    No, but I'd be happy to take a couple when I get home tonight and post them here.

One of the YB’s has a Kendon and they look a good fit for my needs. Compact, air over hydraulic, priced $800-1,000. That way I could bring it to NH if need be.

Stand-Up™ Middleweight Motorcycle Lift - Kendon USA

Review of the Kendon Motorcycle Lift - YouTube

Last edited by Garandman; 02-15-18 at 04:50 PM.

I have a few now but can’t seem to attach them from my phone. Yes, I’m on the short bus.

I’ll post them from my office tomorrow.

Edit:it about as basic as can be, just 2x's and 4x4 posts. There are two cross pieces under the deck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harbor Freight lift table?-image-jpg  

Last edited by gixxer72; 02-16-18 at 08:18 AM.

Soofle (Ian) on born just listed a used harbor freight table for sale for 200

Called Kendon to find out their story. They are out of stock because they are introducing revised models, “In the Spring.” He did not have any further information yet. He also said they would ship direct if asked since the closest dealer is over 100 miles away.

If somebody like SeaCoast wanted to pick up the line, I’d be happy to order through them.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-19-18 at 04:26 PM.

BMW Airhead group just posted the HF Lift table will be $279.95 for a three day sale March 9, 10, 11.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-07-18 at 11:44 AM.

If somebody like SeaCoast wanted to pick up the line, I’d be happy to order through them.
    Why would they want to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My biggest beef with the HF stand is the turned up edges. I'm just waiting to slice myself open on them.
    Used a file and trim those down after snagging my jeans I few times. Love my HF table only issues where the edges and the pump leaking. Have the old style and it puts my Road King in the air without issues. Air pump is on order might have to retro fit a bit but it should work..

One of the [BMW] Airhead guys uses automotive trim around all the edges.

Our minivan has 90+” with the seats removed. Went to the Medford Store and they would not load it: said they would only load it onto a pickup. So do not go there unless you have a pickup.

Other stores, with a manager with a brain, will likely use their hydraulic lift tables to put it in whatever you have. Package is 89” long and weighs 339 lbs.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-09-18 at 01:10 PM.

I just picked one up in the Danvers store, hard to beet at that price. I was looking at a few others but there prices jumped and where no longer worth the extra money.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14

2018 Beta 390 RR-S

Quote Originally Posted by flippedr6 View Post
    I just picked one up in the Danvers store, hard to beet at that price. I was looking at a few others but there prices jumped and where no longer worth the extra money.
    How hard is it to convert them to pneumatic?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast