Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Harley announces adventure bike, naked bike and potentially a sport bike

Re: Harley announces adventure bike, naked bike and potentially a sport bike

Two friends at a dealership bought and tricked out a couple 800 scramblers for themselves. Suspension, exhaust and some ergo stuff. Came out cool but both sold them as they typically ride faster bikes and the novelty ran out. The two guys who bought the bikes used from them got a couple nice bikes.

Precision HD in RI had triumph for a while. Didn’t really know what to do with the brand. Now they don’t have them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 07-30-18 at 05:24 PM.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    Another option I do applaud is the electric bikes. I do think that this has a future. BUT not in competing with general use motorcycles. I'd love to see pricing go down to the 5-6K mark and see if it can grab market share from ICE bikes at entry level for urban use. Those make sense. Also what would make sense is selling upscale, serviceable, dirt and mini-bikes much like the Honda Cubs did for the kids of the 60's and 70's. Think of the grandpa's buying stuff like that for their grand kids. Not re-badged Razor crap but really high quality stuff that won't break and is serviceable. Develop riders with this stuff. They own Alta... This could work well.
    This is precisely where they, and a huge demographic, is going. People are moving to the city and the benefits of electric are huge for commuting, just need the range to catch up to allow a nice afternoon jaunt somewhere... and that isn't as far off as many folks think. Zero's got the best "motorcycle" equivalent IMO, the Alta's sure look like the most fun. My next "new" bike purchase will be electric, nearly guaranteed at this point.

CCS/LRRS #83

I’m fairly certain my next motorcycle will be a boat...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I’m fairly certain my next motorcycle will be a boat...
    DONT DO IT!
    Buy some kind of zippy car all three of you fit in, instead.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

HD’s new and upcoming line up excites me as much as a 65+ adult strip club. IMHO They have plenty of room and money to expand on their current offering.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Or one of Harley's endless series of options could be a motor that weighs 1/2 as much. Who am I kidding, the option would add 2 HP and weigh 25 LBS more.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'm sure riding a 900 pound "dirt bike" up a class VI would certainly be an "adventure"

Quote Originally Posted by Trajiks9 View Post
    HD’s new and upcoming line up excites me as much as a 65+ adult strip club.
    Dancers or patrons?

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    Dancers or patrons?
    Dancers .........thinking about a little further. Having both dancers and patrons being all 65+ would be very awkward to walk into. Either way, still as exciting as HD’s new and upcoming lineup.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

HD’s new and upcoming line up excites me as much as a 65+ adult strip club. IMHO They have plenty of room and money to expand on their current offering.
    How much can you possibly expand on more cruisers? They already have an imperial shit ton of cruisers in their lineup, and people still aren't buying them. Their drop off in sales and dying demographic are why they're trying to expand into new markets. The simple fact is that nobody under 40 wants to ride a cruiser.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    How much can you possibly expand on more cruisers? They already have an imperial shit ton of cruisers in their lineup, and people still aren't buying them. Their drop off in sales and dying demographic are why they're trying to expand into new markets. The simple fact is that nobody under 40 wants to ride a cruiser.
    That’s exactly what dude said. They have plenty of room to expand, since they only make cruisers.
    Ps: lots of people under 40 want cruisers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That’s exactly what dude said. They have plenty of room to expand, since they only make cruisers.
    Ps: lots of people under 40 want cruisers.
    Define lots...

Paul_E_D

More than nobody.
    There’s whole clans of hipsters with clapped out Harley’s and mild chops running around out there pretending to be having fun. Granted, not a one of them is buying a soft tail rocker model, but still, people under 40 are riding cruisers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Last edited by Garandman; 07-31-18 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    More than nobody.
    There’s whole clans of hipsters with clapped out Harley’s and mild chops running around out there pretending to be having fun. Granted, not a one of them is buying a soft tail rocker model, but still, people under 40 are riding cruisers.
    funniest thing ive read in a while, lol

Lifer

That ad video is ridiculous. But then, aren't all ad videos? Remember the Ducati Scrambler launch campaign?
    So far everyone I know riding a Scrambler is >50. And they love 'em.

Do it. Do it all. Why the hell not.

Harley would do well to make the Sportster...actually sporty!

They make a sub-model now the Roadster which genuinely makes my pants a bit tight in the front when I look at it. Then I read the specs; it is of course the same turd evolution motor, it weighs 571 lbs wet, has shit brakes, shit suspension, no overdrive, and once I hit the build tool and add ABS and rearsets the sticker is just shy of $13k. At that point you're 9/10th's of the way to a Thruxton R, which is 100 pounds lighter, has a great build sheet, and is priced at $15k. Or better yet, a CB1100 which is basically the same price.

This is really just one example that you can look at their entire lineup and draw similar conclusions with basically every model they produce.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 07-31-18 at 08:32 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

There are actually a lot of guys my age riding Harleys. It's the cool thing to have. Especially in the "I used to race mx when I was younger" groups.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    There are actually a lot of guys my age riding Harleys. It's the cool thing to have. Especially in the "I used to race mx when I was younger" groups.
    Sure sign you are getting old...

Paul_E_D

Always love seeing new bikes, and I hope HD makes good on their promise. Not that I'll be buying, but seriously it's about time.

That ADV looks absolutely ridiculous.

The Livewire and streetfighter actually looks pretty nice. Can definitely see myself getting an electric bike in the future.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Why don't they just put their efforts into making touring bikes with quality suspensions and frames that can actually be ridden. I had a street glide for a while. It did everything right as far as wind control and with some minor changes I made it very comfortable. What it lacked was a frame and suspension that would allow me to push it and have some, shall we say elevated fun. Also why does a motorcycle still need to vibrate like that at a stop light. They know how to make a balanced motor why not put it in everything. People are changing but they still want a good touring bike. Instead of continuing to make traditional ones. Make ones with traditional styling but bring in today's technology and make a bike to rival the goldwing in capability, make it 200lbs lighter and I would bet they would have a winner.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Sure sign you are getting old...
    I'm getting grays...

This is bs.

If I'm getting old... That means all y'all are basically dead...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I'm getting grays...

This is bs.

If I'm getting old... That means all y'all are basically dead...
    I may be dead, but you are alive and becoming irrelevant.

Paul_E_D

Suddenly I don't feel much like eating lunch.

Dancers .........thinking about a little further. Having both dancers and patrons being all 65+ would be very awkward to walk into. Either way, still as exciting as HD’s new and upcoming lineup.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Why don't they just put their efforts into making touring bikes with quality suspensions and frames that can actually be ridden. I had a street glide for a while. It did everything right as far as wind control and with some minor changes I made it very comfortable. What it lacked was a frame and suspension that would allow me to push it and have some, shall we say elevated fun. Also why does a motorcycle still need to vibrate like that at a stop light. They know how to make a balanced motor why not put it in everything.
    Go ride a M8 motor powered FLH. Very smooth at a stoplight. So much that some of the older buyers are calling it too smooth; lacks the requisite "character" they are after. Something like 30-F cooler too, which I think is the big selling point.

Although even my Rushmore era RK has some jiggy in her. Suspension isn't as compliant as I'd like, but the bike goes and stops better than it should. Air-over-oil rear dampers have required some learning. Although they did away with that on the new touring line.
    Mine is nimble as can be around the parking lot. Parking lot manners are on par with the GL1800 I borrowed a couple years ago.

Colin, you brought the wrong kool-aide sippy cup to this conversation, shhhhhh!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast