Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Harley announces adventure bike, naked bike and potentially a sport bike

Harley announces adventure bike, naked bike and potentially a sport bike

Harley-Davidson To Build Adventure Motorcycles, Streetfighters, And Electric Bicycles Following 2019 LiveWire | Cycle World

I applaud Harley for finally getting off their ass and making something exciting. The Streefighter looks gorgeous. Too bad the Pan American is so fugly. I'm finally excited to see what Harley is doing!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Harley announces adventure bike, naked bike and potentially a sport bike

Streetfighter kind of looks like a Diavel, just not as good.
    I think Harley is finding marketing the old can only go so far. I hope the succeed with these lines.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I'm sure riding a 900 pound "dirt bike" up a class VI would certainly be an "adventure"

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Too little too late

Lifer

It’s funny how the stereotypical Harley outlook ruins these, if a 1200cc bike is a “skirtster” then what is a 975cc naked?

Wow some of those new models look cool as hell...not that I will be buying one, because bikes I own are good enough and paid for, but I’m glad they are making a run at some new designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    It’s funny how the stereotypical Harley outlook ruins these, if a 1200cc bike is a “skirtster” then what is a 975cc naked?
    I very much doubt these will be marketed to the traditional Harley enthusiasts.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I still like that Indian tracker thing better, if it's appointed well.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The electric tracker concept is hot. All others are pigs.

Paul_E_D

I'm digging the streetfighter model.

Compactness in terms of length reminds me of a Buell. Always wanted a Buell growing up.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Oh man, with the ENDLESS crying I hear about the raptor going from a V8 to a V6, I cant even imagine the backlash of an electric Harley. Good luck with that one, guys.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think their electric bikes will be Altas with harley badges.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Oh man, with the ENDLESS crying I hear about the raptor going from a V8 to a V6...
    Apparently the backlash worked since it looks like the Raptor will be getting the new 7.0 for 2019.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Apparently the backlash worked since it looks like the Raptor will be getting the new 7.0 for 2019.
    lol no it wont

lol no it wont
    Not that I actively follow this topic but that must mean it's still a rumor and the 7.0 will only end up in trucks that used to have the V10?

If a v6 is good enough for the ford gt it should be plenty good enough for the raptor

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Not that I actively follow this topic but that must mean it's still a rumor and the 7.0 will only end up in trucks that used to have the V10?
    7.0 is for the 3/4 ton and up trucks.

they did just release the raptor motor for the platinum f150s

they did just release the raptor motor for the platinum f150s
    I was hoping the Taurus SHO would be refreshed with that engine but almost all the sedans are going away. I also couldn't get comfortable in the Taurus and the interior was lacking for the price so I went with a slightly used MKZ with the 3.0t. It's my first turbo car and I'm loving everything about it!

Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-30-18 at 01:17 PM.

MKZ is hot!!!!

Not for the typical HD demographic, and will the HD dealer staff be able to sell to a different demographic? I think Buell was an oddity for them, and with the typical HD models being in demand back then it didn't matter about moving Buells. But if these bikes are any good, and can help the bottom line, then the dealers will need to get motivated on selling them. I got a tour recently of the Ocean State HD in Warwick RI, crazy amount of thought went into that shop, blending old and new together. Things like vintage outboard motors, hoists, cash register, ice box, etc. And a really nice Owners Group lounge room. You have to check this ship out if you get the chance. But they have to sell a lot of product to support what they did there.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Harley-Davidson To Build Adventure Motorcycles, Streetfighters, And Electric Bicycles Following 2019 LiveWire | Cycle World

I applaud Harley for finally getting off their ass and making something exciting. The Streefighter looks gorgeous. Too bad the Pan American is so fugly. I'm finally excited to see what Harley is doing!
    Yeah the naked does look as cool as the adv is ugly. I think the headlight from that thing came from the vacuum cleaner we have at home.

Last edited by backinthesaddle; 07-30-18 at 02:48 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

LMAO I don't even mind that PanAmerica, or most of these new concepts. Even the "Custom" seems way more interesting than anything they currently offer.

CCS/LRRS #83

I'll test ride them at the next Classic.

Talk to dealers from all brands to see what is selling right now. The 5-6K entry level bikes are selling well as well as the class leaders in their classes. It's either those with little extra cash or those with enough to afford the best. This market is shifting so fast without much brand loyalty. Those former BMW bigots will jump to a KTM when they think it's a better ADV bike. KTM back to BMW and H-D to Indian. I'd hate to be responsible for direction of an MC company right now.

I think H-D is making a big mistake with the ADV and Sport Naked. There are better bikes in those categories already filling the market and they evolve so fast that making a profit with them is tough. Indian and the FTR1200 is smart. Tracker's are not represented and they are sticking close to the brand theme with dirt track racing. Plus we don't buy one because of spec's.

Another option I do applaud is the electric bikes. I do think that this has a future. BUT not in competing with general use motorcycles. I'd love to see pricing go down to the 5-6K mark and see if it can grab market share from ICE bikes at entry level for urban use. Those make sense. Also what would make sense is selling upscale, serviceable, dirt and mini-bikes much like the Honda Cubs did for the kids of the 60's and 70's. Think of the grandpa's buying stuff like that for their grand kids. Not re-badged Razor crap but really high quality stuff that won't break and is serviceable. Develop riders with this stuff. They own Alta... This could work well.

Last edited by ducatirdr; 07-30-18 at 03:37 PM.
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I very much doubt these will be marketed to the traditional Harley enthusiasts.
    I think you are right. The same way that, for Ducati, the Scrambler line (or brand) wasn't marketed to traditional Ducati enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Not for the typical HD demographic, and will the HD dealer staff be able to sell to a different demographic? I think Buell was an oddity for them, and with the typical HD models being in demand back then it didn't matter about moving Buells. But if these bikes are any good, and can help the bottom line, then the dealers will need to get motivated on selling them. I got a tour recently of the Ocean State HD in Warwick RI, crazy amount of thought went into that shop, blending old and new together. Things like vintage outboard motors, hoists, cash register, ice box, etc. And a really nice Owners Group lounge room. You have to check this ship out if you get the chance. But they have to sell a lot of product to support what they did there.
    Dealership behavior isn't easy to change, especially not in the U.S.

Although Ducati has sold a lot of Scramblers here, it is still a struggle getting the dealers to take the bikes (and their customers...) seriously.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast