Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Harley-Davidson Pan America

Re: Harley-Davidson Pan America

I believe the accessory skidplate does cover the R/R, while the OEM tin can plate leaves it exposed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

yes but it's still mounted low and directly behind the front wheel. I think the battery is mounted right behind it, too. I'd be worried about water crossings as well as getting it coated in mud/dirt.

I had similar concerns. I've been through a few water crossings where the rear wheel was completely submerged. That can't be good for a battery. I wonder if it's in an airtight compartment or something?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

A guy in Yankee Beemers (which should probably be called “Everything but Beemers” or “*Also own a Beemer”) just bought one. Delivery 5/19.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you leave a battery submerged for a while you'll kill it but if it's temporary the battery doesn't care. I've pulled jetskis off of the bottom of lakes and fired them up (after draining the cylinders and cases lol)

My test ride is scheduled for this weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    My test ride is scheduled for this weekend. I'm looking forward to it.
    No shit? I've yet to hear about either of the two I signed up separately for.

Looking forward to your review on it!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ... Yankee Beemers (which should probably be called “Everything but Beemers” or “*Also own a Beemer”)
    Oh man, that's so true. I'm a member and I've never owned one

Lifer

Ken keeps urging me to attend rallies and the only real street bike I own now is a harley road king!

I've seen victories at their events in years past so I don't feel that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Ken keeps urging me to attend rallies and the only real street bike I own now is a harley road king!

I've seen victories at their events in years past so I don't feel that bad.
    You need a midlife crisis. The Pan Am seems fitting for exactly that.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Lol. I have that covered in spades. I've changed my life pretty substantially since I turned 40. Plenty of big ticket purchases, not least of which that Road King.
    Problem is anything with the bar and shield has traditionally been shunned in some crowds. That BMW club being one of them. In my opinion it is a dated attitude as a stock pipe Harley touring bike is almost exactly as socially offensive as an equivalent K1600B.

Lol. I have that covered in spades. I've changed my life pretty substantially since I turned 40. Plenty of big ticket purchases, not least of which that Road King.
    Problem is anything with the bar and shield has traditionally been shunned in some crowds. That BMW club being one of them. In my opinion it is a dated attitude as a stock pipe Harley touring bike is almost exactly as socially offensive as an equivalent K1600B.
    To my knowledge you’ve never been to a YB event, so how the fuck would you know? Your one data source?

Last edited by Garandman; 05-21-21 at 09:12 PM.

Lifer

To my knowledge you’ve never been to a YB event, so how the fuck would you know? Your one data source?
    I have zero interest in getting into any of this with you. Certainly not here. I will only add that your “knowledge” is incomplete.

I have zero interest in getting into any of this with you. Certainly not here. I will only add that your “knowledge” is incomplete.
    We are talking about a club whose motto is “Ride to eat, eat to ride.” At least one third of the bikes at the May breakfast were not BMW’s. No one cares.

A dealer salesperson brought the new BMW R18 (BMW cruiser) which should flop just as badly as the R1200C did.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-22-21 at 08:40 AM.

Lifer

No one cares.
    I am very happy to hear that opinion from you. In the end it is what it is. I hope to be at at least one overnight sleepaway this season. But I fully expect more side eye scowling.

Ride review to follow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I am very happy to hear that opinion from you. In the end it is what it is. I hope to be at at least one overnight sleepaway this season. But I fully expect more side eye scowling.
    Can’t help you with your head trash.

The far more important question is if the dealer sales staff can sell them.

Ride review to follow
    Cutaways are cool!

That is a fukken good looking bike. The studio shots didn't do it justice imo.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Lifer

I read about the "ride-lowering" mode that drops the suspension at stops. I find that feature interesting, but I would hope that it "parks" in that lowered mode, as most adventure bikes seem to require the rider to step on a peg to mount the bike. As I age and become less flexible, that is the toughest thing I am encountering in terms of continuing to ride dirt bikes and adventure bikes. My KTM 350 is lowered by 35mm and I still have to mount it as it is rolling. I have to use the peg-step method to mount my DL. This might just be an old guy thing.
    I like that HD is expanding their market, but I do not like the looks of the engine on this thing. It looks like a plastic mock-up. Is it just covers? I like the tubeless, spoked wheels - but they should have made the front a 21". I do not like the fairing, and the tank looks big and tall. The CG looks like it might be high. The bike looks very "agricultural".

Needing a peg to mount an adventure bike is a short guy thing. I'm 6'2" and have not found an adventure bike I can't mount with a swing of the leg yet.

But yeah, kudos to Harley for introducing a feature that every other adventure bike manufacturer should have thought of 10 years ago.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    That is a fukken good looking bike. The studio shots didn't do it justice imo.
    The very first thing I thought. The pics posted here are SO much better than the stock pics. LOVE the gray, BTW! And can't wait to see the review!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

The demo ride consisted of me signing numerous waivers but they let you out on your own, unsupervised. They had a course mapped out with red arrows at intersections telling you which way to go. This particular course went around Lake Elsinore. I should note I "accidently" ended up on the famous mountain road, Ortega (hwy 74), and felt the need to urgently attack the apexes to find a nice turn around at the top so I could get back on the very mundane route they mapped out and return the bike within an hour.

The dirt course was a joke... it was literally a gravel parking lot with some cones. I chose not to use it and again "accidently" went off pavement on my route. Man, those red arrows they lay out sure are hard to see

What I liked:
    Looks better in person.
    The motor was great. Typical power you'd expect in this class and it's available anywhere in the rev range. Differences between ride modes are obvious.
    Clutch pull is very light.
    Brakes worked well.
    Suspension worked well (semi-active) with noticeable changes in plushness between ride modes.
    Transmission is good (no quickshifter/autoblipper).
    Seating position is very neutral, mostly typical ADV ergonomics.
    Dash was great - nice and clear with lots of info if you desire.
    It wears its weight well and is easy to maneuver.
    The idea of no valve checks ever has a very strong appeal.

Neutral areas:
    The elevator (adaptive ride height) was not needed for my 6'0" stature but worked almost seamlessly. If you brake very abruptly to a stop, you can feel it lower about an inch or so. May be great for the vertically impaired, or may be an expensive failure point down the line.
    There was wind buffeting at speed in both manually-operated windscreen positions. Easy to bolt up a new one, though.
    Kickstand is not typical. I tried to push down the center stand while seated nearly every time but suppose you get used to it.
    There are little fairings that block the wind on your legs with a vent in them. It was a warm day so I would have wanted more airflow, but it might be appreciated on colder rides.
    No quick ABS/TC turn-off switch. BUT, apparently you can make a custom ride mode with these off and switch on the fly. I just don't know what is involved to make those changes.

Dislikes:
    The vibes. The bars weren't bad but I did feel it in my feet. I'm not sure how it would go with a long day in the saddle.
    No quickshifter/autoblipper. Total letdown on a current top-shelf bike.
    The exhaust is routed by your right leg/foot. I get why it's mounted there but again, not sure how a long hot day would go.
    No heated seats...I got made fun of for this, but at this level of bike and pricepoint, I think it should be included.

Should you buy it?
    If you are in the market for a big ADV bike, I think it should definitely be on your comparison list. I think HD hit the design brief spot-on and will likely entice a lot of riders new to the brand.

Would I buy it?
    No, not yet. At least not at the $20k+ MSRP they had listed onsite. No quickshifter, no heated seats, and maybe I'm not a two-cylinder guy but so far the Tiger has the edge in the motor department. As with everything, YMMV.

Other things to note:
    According to the dash the front tire was inflated to 40PSI and the rear to 47PSI. Also, the tires are more of the 50/50 varietal. While on Ortega, I felt it more difficult to hold a line compared to my Tiger, but I'm guessing different rubber or even playing with the pressures may cure that.

The dash syncs with your phone and you can operate just about everything through the handlebar controls. I would be curious to see what the aftermarket comes out with for GPS mounts, but it appears HD made the bike with the assumption you'd stream phone GPS to the dash -- while definitely a great feature, I want an actual GPS since I'm often out of cell-range.

Also, as expected, the HD folks you talk to are not ADV guys. They did not know how to disable ABS/TC and did not understand why I would want to do it. I withheld some of my other inquiries after that.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

What the hell? Where’s the orange one? That link just goes to a black one and river roxk

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

The demo ride consisted of me signing numerous waivers but they let you out on your own, unsupervised. They had a course mapped out with red arrows at intersections telling you which way to go. This particular course went around Lake Elsinore. I should note I "accidently" ended up on the famous mountain road, Ortega (hwy 74), and felt the need to urgently attack the apexes to find a nice turn around at the top so I could get back on the very mundane route they mapped out and return the bike within an hour.

The dirt course was a joke... it was literally a gravel parking lot with some cones. I chose not to use it and again "accidently" went off pavement on my route. Man, those red arrows they lay out sure are hard to see

What I liked:
    Looks better in person.
    The motor was great. Typical power you'd expect in this class and it's available anywhere in the rev range. Differences between ride modes are obvious.
    Clutch pull is very light.
    Brakes worked well.
    Suspension worked well (semi-active) with noticeable changes in plushness between ride modes.
    Transmission is good (no quickshifter/autoblipper).
    Seating position is very neutral, mostly typical ADV ergonomics.
    Dash was great - nice and clear with lots of info if you desire.
    It wears its weight well and is easy to maneuver.
    The idea of no valve checks ever has a very strong appeal.

Neutral areas:
    The elevator (adaptive ride height) was not needed for my 6'0" stature but worked almost seamlessly. If you brake very abruptly to a stop, you can feel it lower about an inch or so. May be great for the vertically impaired, or may be an expensive failure point down the line.
    There was wind buffeting at speed in both manually-operated windscreen positions. Easy to bolt up a new one, though.
    Kickstand is not typical. I tried to push down the center stand while seated nearly every time but suppose you get used to it.
    There are little fairings that block the wind on your legs with a vent in them. It was a warm day so I would have wanted more airflow, but it might be appreciated on colder rides.
    No quick ABS/TC turn-off switch. BUT, apparently you can make a custom ride mode with these off and switch on the fly. I just don't know what is involved to make those changes.

Dislikes:
    The vibes. The bars weren't bad but I did feel it in my feet. I'm not sure how it would go with a long day in the saddle.
    No quickshifter/autoblipper. Total letdown on a current top-shelf bike.
    The exhaust is routed by your right leg/foot. I get why it's mounted there but again, not sure how a long hot day would go.
    No heated seats...I got made fun of for this, but at this level of bike and pricepoint, I think it should be included.

Should you buy it?
    If you are in the market for a big ADV bike, I think it should definitely be on your comparison list. I think HD hit the design brief spot-on and will likely entice a lot of riders new to the brand.

Would I buy it?
    No, not yet. At least not at the $20k+ MSRP they had listed onsite. No quickshifter, no heated seats, and maybe I'm not a two-cylinder guy but so far the Tiger has the edge in the motor department. As with everything, YMMV.

Other things to note:
    According to the dash the front tire was inflated to 40PSI and the rear to 47PSI. Also, the tires are more of the 50/50 varietal. While on Ortega, I felt it more difficult to hold a line compared to my Tiger, but I'm guessing different rubber or even playing with the pressures may cure that.

The dash syncs with your phone and you can operate just about everything through the handlebar controls. I would be curious to see what the aftermarket comes out with for GPS mounts, but it appears HD made the bike with the assumption you'd stream phone GPS to the dash -- while definitely a great feature, I want an actual GPS since I'm often out of cell-range.

Also, as expected, the HD folks you talk to are not ADV guys. They did not know how to disable ABS/TC and did not understand why I would want to do it. I withheld some of my other inquiries after that.
    Nice.

I’m out on the vibes.

I heard the 107 in my bike they had perfectly counterbalanced but a focus group said it didn’t “feel like a harley” as much, which infuriates me.

Your park avenue leads to..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast