Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Harley dealers?

Harley dealers?

After 7 years of not having a road legal bike I've decided next spring it will time to get one. I know what I want and yes its a Harley. I'll be buying new. I know some people here have and had worked for Harley dealers and other have had experience with buying from Harley dealers. I'm looking for experiences and how the dealers were to deal with. I've been to two so far looking. Precision, and Cape Cod Harley. Montys in Bridgewater is also within a quick drive. Precision and Cape Cod were both the exact opposite of any sportbike dealer I've walked into except Cycle Design. They were quick to come over and greet me and offer help. I usually get the blank stare and the don't touch the bikes from sportbike type dealers.

I'm willing to travel to other dealers within reason if the end deal is good. I don't want to drive up to NH or to CT to save a 100 on msrp. It will cost me more in gas.

I'm looking for feedback on what you all have experienced with trying to make a deal to get a Harley. Good or bad it doesn't matter.

I'll be buying probably next March or April.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: Harley dealers?

No personal experience with them as I purchased used, however I've known a number of people who have bought from Sheldon's in Auburn and had good experiences.

I live about 4 miles from a smaller HD dealer. Nice being close but being small they have limited stock, both bikes and parts. Ended up buying my bike at High Octane HD, tons of bikes to chose from, tons of parts and accessories.

Might want to think about getting a new bike late fall. Dealers will be interested in moving the year stock and not storing it.

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

When I met you you rode gods bike, an RC51.

What happened?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    When I met you you rode gods bike, an RC51.

What happened?
    Well I want to bring the wife along for some fun. She has been to every one of my races since the beginning. More importantly I don't want the cops waiting for me at the end of my driveway. So no sportbikes or motards for the street for me. When I went into Precision a few months ago a guy came up and asked if he could help me. I said "Yes I'm looking for a bike with no performance." I did get a weird look but after I explained what I do he told me I came to the right place.

James

I do the riding academy at Sheldon's. People seem to have had good experience with the sales there. Can't speak first hand though

Talk to Oxx, he could maybe point you in some direction. Possibly not the right one? Not sure.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

American hd in Leominster seem like a bunch of nice folks. I live only a few miles down the road from Sheldon's, and when I needed things for my sportster project I made the drive to American just to not deal with the staff at Sheldon's.

Tell me you're getting an xr1200!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Tell me you're getting an xr1200!
    No but I did consider those. Only if they still made them. I would be in trouble too fast though.

I've narrowed my choices to a Dyna Wide Glide or Street Bob. I want to have some fun but not large ticket and potential loss of license fun. What ever one I get will get my usual tear down and rebuild treatment.

James

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

youll hate the wide glide. that 21" wheel and long wheel base make it an ill handling bike. the streetbob is a little better. if youre set on a Dyna then maybe a fat bob. ive heard nothing but good about their handling. im sure it has to do with the fact that the rims are similar size. same goes for the new low rider. the dyna switchback is a great idea but it rattles a bunch from the windshield

personally id stay away from a softail

i know you said new, but a lightly used police bike is always a good deal.
    weve got a few new ('15) road glides and '14-'15 street glides and roadkings

heres our site http://www.rochesterharley.com/
    it should have all the used inventory for all 3 stores (rochester, seacoast, and boston) and probably the new stuff too.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Stay away from Ronnie's in Pittsfield and New Rochelle HD in New York. They both are shady as hell. Agusta HD in Maine were super nice people. Very welcoming and a layed back approach. Sheldons can be tough on trade ins. But if that's not an issue then they are great on price. TSI in Ellington Ct is very good.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

I used to be the banner man for the 'I hate Harley' fanclub.

Somewhere along the line I fell in love with a few of 'em. If I were buying a new one, it's be a Street Glide S, hands down. What a wonderful bike...

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I used to be the banner man for the 'I hate Harley' fanclub.

Somewhere along the line I fell in love with a few of 'em.
    Not quite there yet. But the more I ride on the track, the more I see this particular color of light. I may be on an HD product in a few years. .. Will still have something more playful next to it in the garage though.

Another shot from the dragon last month on my 05 road king custom...
    Bought it new from TSI in Ellington, CT (not crazy far from you) and I absolutely tortured the head sales guy, Bill, with multiple visits and endless questions about what model to buy and how to mod it. He is still there, running the whole place I think, and 10 years into owning the bike, I don't disagree with one single piece of advice he gave me. Highly recommended.

Attachment 40333

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    youll hate the wide glide. that 21" wheel and long wheel base make it an ill handling bike. the streetbob is a little better. if youre set on a Dyna then maybe a fat bob. ive heard nothing but good about their handling. im sure it has to do with the fact that the rims are similar size. same goes for the new low rider. the dyna switchback is a great idea but it rattles a bunch from the windshield

personally id stay away from a softail

i know you said new, but a lightly used police bike is always a good deal.
    weve got a few new ('15) road glides and '14-'15 street glides and roadkings

heres our site http://www.rochesterharley.com/
    it should have all the used inventory for all 3 stores (rochester, seacoast, and boston) and probably the new stuff too.
    I understand what you're saying about the handling. I'm not dead set on those but pretty close to it. There would have to be a compelling reason to get something else. I've already been working on a build sheet and the handling issues of the 21 inch wheel will be dealt with as best as I can. I do plan on sticking with the Dyna family because its easier to upgrade the suspension. I don't want a full dresser. I am just not ready for a bike that big.

I guess in the end I want a bike that I can ride around with the wife on the back in reasonable comfort but also ride around solo without needing a docking permit to park it. Since its a Harley it also has to look good . So with that said the wide glide or street bob are out front.

James

I should add that the advice I appreciated back in early 2005 from Bill at TSI was pretty similar to what Oxx is saying, even though the "bob" bikes didn't exist yet. Especially about steering clear of softtails if distance riding is likely, and others told me to get a wider, smaller diameter front wheel.

Ride one of the touring family bikes before you eliminate them as too heavy/poor handling. They aren't all full dressers, and my favorite thing about mine (05 RK custom) is the less than a minute it takes to remove the windshield, backrest, and luggage rack, if I'm riding local and its warm out. They handle much better than they look like they would, and I'm sure you know that racetech makes emulators for the forks. I'm still saving to get those, and open to ideas for improvements over the air shocks (already raised the floorboards as far as they will go and got longer shocks from a regular road king, all to improve the weakest point on the bike, in my opinion: cornering ground clearance).

Every bike will have some tradeoffs. Once I ruled out the softtails, for me it came down to passenger (and personal) comfort with a touring, vs. better looks and handling in a dyna. I'm glad I chose touring because I still am lucky enough to have other bikes on the road that handle much better than any Harley, when I feel like riding like that. I hardly ever take passengers, but personal comfort-wise, I was loving my road king when I put a couple thousand miles on it in 5 days last month.

One last thing. Having all the multiple foot positions on the road king makes TONS of difference in comfort over long hauls. I use the highway pegs, the passenger pegs, and the regular floorboards with the heel shifter removed so I can put my feet all over those things (the heel shifter is cool and all, but is in the way of about 8" of useful range for you left foot on the floorboard, including the critical for comfort "mid control" position). Between the multiple, comfortable foot positions, a rider backrest, and the windshield, it's like a couch on wheels. Most Dynas have less of those features, or look contrived if all the pieces are added.

Last edited by Imbeek; 09-06-14 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    ... and open to ideas for improvements over the air shocks (already raised the floorboards as far as they will go and got longer shocks from a regular road king, all to improve the weakest point on the bike, in my opinion: cornering ground clearance).
    had a CVO Ultra come in the other day with Ohlins on the back and cartridges in the front. IDK if it raised the ride height at all but they sure were pretty

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

So is that like ohlins double clicker price times 2= close to two grand? I knew they existed, just also assumed they were out of my price range. What about the progressive shots at around $400 a pair or so? Any reports on them?

I had a softail standard, the softail version of the Dyna wide glide. It was everything Oxx said it was. I hated the 21" and forward controls. My buddy rides an '03 Dyna Sport not sure if they still make those. It's a great HD and he has done slot of upgrades, suspension and motor. Plus it's mid controls. I've heard good things about American HD . I've never been. I dealt with Kelleys before it became High Octane. HO has answered a few questions about my recent purchase with no hassle at all. If you decide to go used, check out National power sports and Ryan Nicholson.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    So is that like ohlins double clicker price times 2= close to two grand? I knew they existed, just also assumed they were out of my price range. What about the progressive shots at around $400 a pair or so? Any reports on them?
    i dont have any feedback on others. this is gonna come as a shock (no pun intended) but HD owners dont typically care about handling.
    ive got 1 customer on set of the fancier progressives shocks, but other than the fact that he likes them, i dont have any other feedback

back to the OP. James you might like the new low rider. be sure to check that out too.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 09-06-14 at 10:21 AM.

if it means anything to you, the '15 road glides VIN model designator is KTM

i dont have any feedback on others. this is gonna come as a shock (no pun intended) but HD owners dont typically care about handling.
    ive got 1 customer on set of the fancier progressives shocks, but other than the fact that he likes them, i dont have any other feedback

back to the OP. James you might like the new low rider. be sure to check that out too.
    if it means anything to you, the '15 road glides VIN model designator is KTM
    The Low Rider is on my radar. I'm just not a fan of the alloy wheels.

Leave it to Harley to make a USA bike with an Austrian number. No fairings for me.

As I said my biggest dilemma is where to go. It's looking like I'll have to do the multiple dealer thing. Luckily there are a decent number within an hour.

James