Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Harleys

Harleys

So Wookie being the kind teammate he is, let me take his Sportster for a rip last night. I've never ridden a cruiser of any kind, only sport bikes and my KTM. There are so many negatives I have about that bike, but my god was it fun. I dont think Id use it as a daily rider, but for getting out on a weekend and just cruising that fucker would be fun. I never saw the appeal of cruisers really until I rode one, and I gotta be honest, I had a big grin on my face the whole time. And say what you want about them, the looks people give you cause of the noise is pretty funny.
    Then again, I was more happy to get back on my KTM when I was done with the test ride than I was on the Harley at any point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Re: Harleys

I was a Sporty fanatic all my life. After getting into sportbikes, you couldn't pay me to ride one now... glad you liked it.

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I had just the opposite experience. I was on an early 90's 1200cc Sportster and couldn't wait to get off of it.

I felt like I was convulsing, even with the rubber-mounted handlebars, I was shaken to pieces.

I wouldn't mind trying out a V-Rod though, different generation of bike altogether.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    I felt like I was convulsing, even with the rubber-mounted handlebars, I was shaken to pieces.
    Well, 2 of the complaints was the vibration, and the brakes, but then again, I ride a dirtbike on the street, so the vibration wasnt bad for me, and I race an EX500 and the Harleys brakes felt the same, so that didnt bother me much.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

OK my two cents...
    I do own a Harley a 2006 Softail standard Twin cam internally balanced Fuel Injected. So yes the sporty's and others do shake. That is part of the mystique I think. I think it sucks, personally. I wouldn't have bought a paint shaker. I think they are over priced for what they are. So why did I buy one and why to do I love it.
    1.) IT's all my grandfather ever rode. I HAD to own one once.
    2.) Torque. Plain and simple
    3.) Comfort. I am 6' 230lb and 47 years old and I like to ride 300 miles or so at a time. I can't on a Sportbike anymore, Plus the wife aint so keen on sitting up so high on the back fender.
    4.) No throttle hand restraint. I used to race cars and dirtbike. I like to go FAST. I like having a license !!

OK maybe it was more like a nickle

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

There is probably a reason you don't see many twenty somethings on a HD.. or any cruiser for that matter.. and the same reason you see so many over 40's on them.
    While is is possible to do long cruise rides. two up trips etc on a sportsbike. Its also possible to drive the same rides in a chevette. Me i prefered to do the ride in a caddy.. or on my HD. Had multiple HD"s in my life, Last one being a 2002 HD FXDWG. I thought nothing about getting on it and driving down to Myrtle beach, or tossing the bags on her and grabbing the wife for a weekend get away. I honestly cringe about the thought of going over 400 miles on the ZX. A weekend get away with the wife? Well I can, so long as I find a place that has a hot tub ready and I want a nookieless weekend. Then again I found I love sportsbikes as well.. After 18 years on STD/Cruisers I wanted a change. And it was good, then I found Deals gap and it was really good, then the crack that is trackdays and it was great. But in the end I can picture a life without a sportsbike, I just never can picture a life without a motorcycle so that means back to cruisers at some point.

Comparing the two is unfair. Its apples to oranges.

I prefer not to spend lots of times with any rider who looks down at another because of their choice of ride. It shows a lack of love for riding and a total narcissistic love for an image of themselves on a bike.

As far as price, Sure the initial outlay was big $, but a bike I bought for 20K in 2002 sold for 17.5 in 2006 (with maybe a $800 total in upgrades , not including consumables like tires..), I'd would not mind getting that kinda of holding value on a sportbike come resale time

1967 Model Human, All male accessories. Manufactured by John & Irene

MidMassGsxr

Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    I had just the opposite experience. I was on an early 90's 1200cc Sportster and couldn't wait to get off of it.

I wouldn't mind trying out a V-Rod though, different generation of bike altogether.
    The new sporsters have rubber mounted motors. I think it started in 2005 or 06, so they dont really vibrate like they used to

Quote Originally Posted by jmh992003 View Post
    The new sporsters have rubber mounted motors. I think it started in 2005 or 06, so they dont really vibrate like they used to
    Yea, dont ya think it was about time?

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
    Yea, dont ya think it was about time?
    I know a few girls who did not like the change......

1967 Model Human, All male accessories. Manufactured by John & Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jeff View Post
    I know a few girls who did not like the change......
    LOL,
    Funny you say that! When my girlfriend goes to Amazing to get a new vibrator, she tells them she wants a "Jackhammer".....
    She's fukkin retarted!

Quote Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
    LOL,
    Funny you say that! When my girlfriend goes to Amazing to get a new vibrator, she tells them she wants a "Jackhammer".....
    She's fukkin retarted!
    HAHAA...anyway I agree they are fun (in limited doses) I am obviously more into a sport type bike and performance, but riding my cousins harley's was damn fun. Just cruised around back roads in the Groton area and had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Well, 2 of the complaints was the vibration, and the brakes, but then again, I ride a dirtbike on the street, so the vibration wasnt bad for me, and I race an EX500 and the Harleys brakes felt the same, so that didnt bother me much.
    now that scares me...If the brakes are as bad as the EX I might need a new bike. BTW - HDs don't spit out brake pads.

Really though, it is bike you like or you don't. You can never convince a HD rider to ride a sports bike or visa versa. If you don't like them I can completely understand if...and if you do I can understand that also. (some people like both, but I guess they are retarded). I can list the reasons I like mine (I think it looks amazing, I don't get tickets, I can enjoy it at near the speed limit, comfort, etc.)....., but it is about what you like not what I like.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

I still don't understand what it does...