Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

hayabusa

hayabusa

Considering Hayabusa

does anyone kow whats under that dopey tail section

can the infantile graphic cripple cross be peeled off

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

hayabusa

richw

Tail section with the hump on covers the mounting bracket for the passanger seat. You can either put on the rear seat or the hump. The rest of the tail section is a storage area.

The graphics can always be removed, but not sure if there is paint under them or not.

Great bike, lots of power. A little slower than some in the tight corners.

Hope this helps.

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Just Registered

hayabusa

graphics will likely change in '06 along with *some* of the bodywork...so sayest the british tabloids.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

hayabusa

I know I'm late on this one, but.....

The rear "HUMP" is for aerodynamics. It is meant to keep the air flowing that comes off the riders back. I ride with the hump on 90% of the time and you can feel a little buffeting when the seat is on so IMHO I would say it works. If you don't like the way it looks you can put the rear seat on.

The stickers............They come right off and there is paint under them. Plenty of people remove them and the only sticker on the bike that is painted over, and the only one that can't be removed without affecting the paint of the bike is the Suzuki on the gas tank.

I'll give you a quick review on the bike.

Pros

You already know it has gobs of power. The new litre bikes are equal or greater in the peak horsepower, but people don't understand that there is more to it than that. The Busa makes tons more power early, the dyno chart I had on done on mine shows that it has 80ft/lbs of torque at 3000 rpms, that's more than most litre bikes have peak and easily puts out more torque earlier than the v-twins. They peak, in stock form, close to 100 ft/lbs. It is a very stable bike on long rides and on the highway. Very comfortable for a sport bike, and it has one of the best passenger seats I've ever seen. There is a huge aftermarket parts arena for this bike, and not just performance either. There are tons of people selling second hand parts that are upgrading. You can find tons of these on the Busa forums. There are also things for the bike that some people like (not me) like luggage and bar risers to make a sport tourer out of the bike. The engine is actually very mild mannered in that it is lower in compresion than the super sport bikes. You should only run 87 octane in the bike unless you start building the inside of the motor. You will gain huge amounts of power with minimal mods to the bike. I have installed an exhaust, cams, power commander, filter and modified the airbox and have over 30 hp at the wheel more than stock. Those are huge gains in the bike world.

Cons..

Ok, here are the bad points, but it all depends on what you want out of it.

It will not handle the twisties like the super sport bikes, but every road has to straighten out sometimes and even if it doesn't it can still hold it's own. The six piston brakes aren't the greatest. Some braided lines and good pads liven them up nicely though. Insurance can be hi in Mass. The will eat up rear tires fast, especially if you are at all hard on the throttle. My first one lasted less than 2000 miles, after that I have been getting about 4000 or more.

I can't think of anything else, but if you have any questions let me know.

hayabusa

Thanks for the inputs

I am point and shoot rider too

I am going to make a study between this and a 2002 or better K12 and lastly an FZ1

Though the FZ1 steel frame is just such a blast from the past that it tweaks my nose

hayabusa

More cons....
    If you aren't buying new, make sure the cam chain tensioner has been updated.

The earlier Busa had an aluminum sub frame that would crack.

2nd gear drive dogs can get buggered up, and cause the shifter fork to fail if you are into wheelies, and "banging" it into 2nd gear.
    This requires splitting the case to fix.

More misconceptions....
    That it will rip you arms off, and is uncontrollable.

Fact is....
    The Busa is the Smooothest in power delivery, it isn't like you got hit in the ass by a truck, but it's so linear it's VERY deceiving.

Front forks can be reworked, and resprung to help in the handling dept, as well as the rear. But this bike was aimed at being the straightline speed king.
    It is now speed restricted to 186mph...and like you got the balls to try it? But I know how to de restrict it.....

I gotta admit it is very comfortable on a long cruise.
    And when I can swing it, it will be one of my next toys.....

hayabusa

honestly i dont see why everybody faints over the busa... yeah it is a bigger motor and is faster but so what.. how many people will be able to really use it and beat a liter bike. dont we want cornoring and speed.. and secondly how can anyone say they look nicer then a new r1 or zx10. people just love to say ooooh i have a busa i am faster ooooh.. just my opinion.. i do like the busa not my cup of tea but i appreciate them just hate the hype behind them..

05 Ducati ST3

hayabusa

If you buy a 'busa, you now have to spell BOYS by it's new Suzuki spelling BOYZ.

It's all about the bling.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

hayabusa

Originally posted by Graffix31
    honestly i dont see why everybody faints over the busa... yeah it is a bigger motor and is faster but so what.. how many people will be able to really use it and beat a liter bike. dont we want cornoring and speed.. and secondly how can anyone say they look nicer then a new r1 or zx10. people just love to say ooooh i have a busa i am faster ooooh.. just my opinion.. i do like the busa not my cup of tea but i appreciate them just hate the hype behind them..
    I'm not sure why everyone faints over the Hayabugly either when the ZX-12R is a much prettier specimen!

All kidding aside, bikes like the busa and 12R have a different role in the motorcycle world then the liter bikes. The current breed of liter bikes were designed for the track. They have features like: stiff unforgiving suspension, light weight construction, very tall first gears with 2-6 being close ratio for good track condition acceleration, small cramped riding position, and reduced bottom end torque in exchange for increased top end. On the other hand, the 12 and busa are designed to be street machines. They have increased weight for smoother rides, larger spacing between gears, MUCH more comfortable to sit on, and still have retarded amounts of horsepower!

The biggest advantage the busa and 12 have over the liter bikes is comfort. The extra 100lbs we carry around really softens the ride on rough streets and keeps the bike planted in rough corners. I have gone on day trips over 600 miles with the 12R without any comfort issues. Also, if you do any 2 up riding, your passenger will be much happier on the 12 or busa.

In terms of performance, the 12 and busa in the right hands can stay with anything else on the road. On a track, they can be outrun in the corners by the smaller bikes but not by a large enough margin that can't be overcome by their straight line abilities.

At the time I purchased my 12R, I was really interested in the 10R but it was way too small for me. No matter what I did, I could not get comfortable on it. I also considered the Eyeabuser but I never cared for its styling and I liked the way the 12 handled better (coupled with the fact that I love Kawasaki engines).

In the end it depends on where your priorities are. If you can live with 10% less cornering ability of a liter bike with 10% better straight line ability and about 50% better comfort, the busa or 12 will be perfect for you. On the road they will all perform about the same with the busa and 12 being MUCH more comfortable!

Just my $0.02!

-Bill

Lifer

hayabusa

Think of the Busa, etc.. as VFRs on steroids. Not race reps that are overweight.

Not that I really need/want that much power but I'd ride one of those over a ZX-10, etc.. any day as they are supposed to be pretty damn good for a tall rider.

And even if they are slower in the corners it is doubtful the bike is actually holding you up on the street. It's probably got way more cornering ability than most of us can use on the street, regardless of what the magazines say when testing it at the racetrack.

ISTR watching some TV show about the Busa and that ugly tail section is one of the key design features that lets it hit ridiculous speeds.

Ben

hayabusa

Glad to hear from the
    zx-12R guy

I agree with all of that plus
    the increased fun factor of mega-power