Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Heading to Daytona 2007 Need suggestions..

I spent some time today with my friend trying to modify his snowmobile trailer into something we can safely use to transport the bikes from MA to FL. Im not all that confident on how things are turning out. His dad made home made chocks which arent bad but they arent good either. The trailers definitely not designed to do what we are trying to do as well..

Anyone know of a place to buy or borrow wheel chocks that are not that much money? or better yet anyone have a trailer they are willing to rent for short money or let someone borrow? All ideas are welcome, thanks. We are planning on leaving friday night.

Anyone?

-Lou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The chocks aren't that important, it's how you tie the bike down. Alot of bike shops do carry chocks if you want them. I use 3 tie downs per bike, one off each lower tripple tree to the floor, make sure you aren't scratching the plastics. Get the bike tied in snuggly and have your friend sit on the gas tank, this compresses the suspension, then tie it down tightly. Once the 2 front ties are on the bike won't move, it will wiggle a little but mot much. The rear tie down is just to keep the rear tire from bouncing around, I make a triangle, one point through the rear tire then rearward to two mounting points on the trailer. Most important make sure you aren't just putting tie down points throught the plywood deck of the trailer, put something else under the deck to add support of the tie down so it doesn't pull through the deck.
    There are rental trailer places around, I rented from a place in Ellington Ct. years ago, but your sled trailer should be OK.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

I have a snowmobile trailer that is already modded with all the tiedown hooks in the frame that i have used to tow bikes and other Misc things. I would let you borrow it but my friend in NY is already borrowing it If you want I'll swing by after work and help you tien down the bikes if you want, just make sure you have some ratchet straps and some tie down points.

Like BBH said the chocks aren't all that inportant (i don't use them) but they are a good idea so the bike theoretically dosen't bounce side to side on large bumps. but you can just screw some 2x4 blocks on either side of the front and rear tires if it would make you more comfortable.

Also if you have access to it i would get one of those huge rolls of saran wrap (like Best buy/Circuit city use to wrap open box TV's) and wrap your bike to protect it from rocks and salt kicked up from the car/truck while it is being towed.

[QUOTE][/wrap your bike to protect it from rocks and salt kicked up from the car/truck while it is being towed.
    QUOTE]

Good idea! +1
    Nevr thought of that, my trailer is enclosed, but i like the idea!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Don't get lost

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.