Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Heated gear, what's a good system?

Heated gear, what's a good system?

Can anyone recommend a good system for heated glove liners, socks, shirt, etc? Would love a system that could use a portable battery or the bike battery, and let me use them alone (just gloves for example).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Re: Heated gear, what's a good system?

I don't know yet. I've only been getting the gloves, with setups to plug into the bike's battery. I've used Powerlet, Firstgear, and Gerbing so far, and each has lasted one season before one of the gloves quits working. Powerlet and Firstgear each lost the left glove; Gerbing the right. I got through last winter using the right Firstgear and the left Gerbing.

I don't know if this is bad luck, or if heated gloves can only be expected to last 4K miles, or what.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 09-13-16 at 01:32 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I have owned Gerbring gloves and jacket liner for 6 years - no issues. I have not used the gloves plugged in too often but when I did they were fine. They are super bulky, I don't wear them often as a result.

I did get the thermostat to adjust the heat, this is a great addition as I did not find myself needing full power in too often. Nice to be able to turn it down.

With the jacket and regular gloves I could ride comfortable in 40 deg all day.

I have a Gerbing dual channel controller that I run with a Gerbing jacket liner and Firstgear Carbon heated gloves.

The jacket liner I bought used, probably 5 years ago. It's pretty flawless.

I purchased some Gerbing glove liners probably 4 years ago. Ended up selling them here, as they were just too bulky for me. The Firstgear Carbon gloves I've had for a couple seasons now and they have been great. Much better than the liners.

I also have a pair of heated Gerbing socks, however, rarely wear them. I generally find that I don't need them (I'm generally wearing Sidi adventure rains, which do a decent job keeping feet warm), and when I do need them, will either have to change socks when I get where I'm going or walk around all day with wires hanging out of my legs, which is at best awkward.

I've never found an actual need for heated pants.

I don't ride in temps like PhilB or RandyO, but it isn't unusual for me to be out in single digit temps with that set up (but I do have significant wind protection).

Lifer

I have had good luck with Gerbing gloves, but agree that they are a little bulky. Not more so than the Held Freezer gloves that are my go-to winter gloves (Primaloft rules!). I have a jacket liner as well, and for my relatively short rides end up not using it at all. I may post it for sale on ADV or NESR. I feel the gloves are a must for me as my peripheral circulation is lacking to begin with

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

No love for heated grips?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I dig my integral heated grips on the duc. I haven't had heated gear since it was cut off me 10 years ago this nov. I'm a bit of a fair weather rider these days. But I may grab a first gear jacket soon. I think combined with heated grips it will be all I'd ever need. Some light snowboarding gloves for cutting the wind.

Paul_E_D

Have you considered a front wheel drive car with good snow tires? :-)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Not the same. I have heated grips on my VFR and DR. They work with the right gloves. Heated gloves are the best for longer rides

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I find that heated grips are great for taking the edge off, but below 50 I really prefer my whole hand be warm.

My setup is First Gear Carbon gloves, a Gerbings jacket liner and a First Gear Dual Wireless temp troller so I can tweak temp settings.

My jacket liner is from 2009 and has covered tens of thousands of miles. I tend to use it with just a t shirt (and my riding jacket) so it gets a ton of use. I had it cranked up for a few thousand miles just these past two weeks for example. I have zero worries about reliability and by far is some of the best money I've spent on motorcycle gear.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I have a pair of firstgear Carbon heated gloves. They are pretty warm even without the heat on, but they are definitely bulkier than regular gloves. I also have a firstgear heated jacket I picked up pretty cheap too. It's a bit of a pain to hook everything up when getting on the bike just for a short trip. Both my street bikes have grip heaters, which are great for spring/fall. For real cold weather, lately I have been putting Tusk ATV mitts over my handguards/grips and combined with the heated grips, they are usually warm enough wih just my regular gloves for a <30 min ride, and without having to deal with hooking up all the heated gear.

If you're motivated, there's plenty of instructions online for making your own heated hear.

Edit, also, it's a good idea to install a voltmeter or LED voltage monitor when you start using heated gear. My FZ6 doesn't have much extra power, I ended up bump starting it a couple times one chilly night using my jacket and gloves.

Last edited by MattR302; 09-13-16 at 09:37 AM.

Insulated rain suit (acts as windbreaker) and grip heaters on high and hold on tight!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Insulated rain suit (acts as windbreaker) and grip heaters on high and hold on tight!
    Perfect for those frigid days in CA when it drops to 65?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I am 140lbs and 6'...Cali winters low of 45 at night with low humidity...brrrrr!!!

I personally don't deal well with cold...even low 50's low humidity I wear the rain suit...MA 50's was pretty comfy though... actually anything above 40 in MA I was out...but unless I am on a Dirtbike, I pass at the 0-30 degree riding

Desert side even colder winters....LAB2V low 30's high 20's at the start in Palmdale!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-13-16 at 01:30 PM.

Nice - I've been looking at Gerbing and Firstgear so far, also worried about how bulky they are. The glove liners are appealing because I want to use multiple gloves/multiple bikes.

A battery pack would be great so I could use them off bike, but I think the gloves alone pull about 2 amps. But a good sized 12mAh battery pack could probably handle a few hours at least, maybe?

The last few winters I've stayed pretty warm with the exception of my hands, but a jacket would be nifty too. I could shed a few of the 45 layers I usually wear.

Got a steal on some Gore Tex shell pants & fleece underpants last year and they are watertight and super warm. Not the most stylish thing but whatever. Thinking about something like the Dainese D Core to slip on underneath.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Make sure you heated gear fits snugly against your body. jacket and gloves. The more contact the more heat transfer.
    Gerbing and first gear are the brands. Get a heat controller as others have mentioned.
    The newer jacket liners are micro wire tech so they are less bulky as well as more comfortable.
    I have a heated first gear jacket for sale size XL Tall. I upgraded to a micro wire liner a few years ago. It is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Nice - I've been looking at Gerbing and Firstgear so far, also worried about how bulky they are. The glove liners are appealing because I want to use multiple gloves/multiple bikes.
    This was my plan as well. Didn't work at all. None of my gloves would fit over the glove liners. I bought bigger gloves. Wouldn't fit. I ended up using some snowboarding gloves as they were all I could find that would actually fit over them.

In my experience, dedicated winter gloves FTW.

I am using Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 gloves on my naked SV. I chose them because they include everything you need in the box. No need to separately buy a controller or pigtails to connect to the battery. Additionally, if you buy a jacket liner or pants from the same system, each item also comes with its own controller and pigtails (I believe the jacket and pants come with 2-channel controllers) so you can hardwire another bike or sled if you want.

They are warm enough to keep the chill out, but in the high 30s/low 40s, I wouldn't call them warm at speed. That said, I am riding a naked SV.

So far, they've held up for one short Autumn and one short Spring riding season. I mostly use them to commute.

Last edited by golden chicken; 09-13-16 at 07:27 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I think I need to get over to the shop in Topsham, bring a pair of my gloves, and try them on. Pretty sure they carry Firstgear gloves/socks on the shelf.

I have a 3-season armored glove that I'd love to make work, but if it's too bulky then probably a winter glove. I have excellent winter gloves, just not armored.. but I've worn those on several super cold days or longer rides.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I am moving away from heated gear and to performance insulation instead, in the coldest weather, the best heated gear doesn't work that well, in cool weather 30s & 40s is about the coldest I will use my heated gear, below that, and I am wearing extreme arctic carhartts (same 1000 denier cordura that Aerostich uses) with under armor

with as many charging system failures I have had (all warm weather luckily) I no longer have faith in electricity over my own body heat

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

^ whole suit?

I'm also a fan of insulated products...the wind is the factor on bikes and if it's pretty much completely blocked off I stay nice and toasty on body heat (and I'm a skinny guy)

Alas, I get cold hands...so even with insulated outerwear, I still need heated grips or gloves

Kid I used to work with had a firstgear Thermo suit, Firstgear Thermo 1-Piece Suit - RevZilla

He remember him telling me he went for a weekend ride to Montreal in the winter wih just a tshirt on underneath and was comfortable.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON