Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Heated glove liners

Heated glove liners

Anyone ever used these with sporty gauntlet style gloves, I kind of assume they wouldn't really work with properly fitted gloves? I was initially thinking I'd just install grip heaters, but I've been working on my bike too much lately and really just want to finish what I've got going now and ride, the liners seem like an easy alternative since I've got a heater jacket liner already...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Re: Heated glove liners

Meh. My opinion is they pretty much suck. Too bulky to be warn under a properly fitted sports glove.

The ones I have are Gerbing and are at least very similar to http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...ed-glove-liner.

The only gloves I have that will go over them are a pair of snowboarding gloves that I had around the house. No chance of them working with sport gloves that are anywhere close to fitting.

If I were doing it over I'd just get a pair of the winter heated gloves even though they don't offer as much protection as I'd like.

YMMV.

Lifer

I agree. Look at the firstgear carbon heated gloves. 'Sport' style fit and features, but heated. I bought a pair of 'touring' style heated gloves at first thinking they were the only option until someone here turned me onto the carbon glove. Glad I hadn't opened the touring gloves yet as I quickly returned them and bought the carbons. Slightly more expensive, but worth it.

Heated grips are still awesome for those late spring/early fall days when its too early to switch to electrics but you need a little help in the AM and PM. Fortunately heated grips can be installed on the way cheap.

Well your opinions of the liners were what I expected, too bad because they would have been an easy alternative.

Now how about opinions on grip warmers VS. heated grips? Some of the magazines and websites I respect seem to prefer the grip warmers over the heated grips...

Hyper

Lifer

I'm not following.. what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm not following.. what's the difference?
    The options are grip heaters, which are flat heating elements with an adhesive side that sticks/wraps around your handlebars or clipons. The benefit being that you can use whatever grips you like, seems like you need to use throttle side grips for both sides though?

Then heated grips are the whole kit and kaboodle, heating elements built into the grips. The benefit being ease of installation, but you have to use those grips.

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Well your opinions of the liners were what I expected, too bad because they would have been an easy alternative.

Now how about opinions on grip warmers VS. heated grips? Some of the magazines and websites I respect seem to prefer the grip warmers over the heated grips...
    Spend the extra money on heated gloves... I installed Symtec heat demons and they are not enough.

Lifer

Ah.. then I have no experience with 'heated grips'.. only 'grip heaters'. I have a $5 set courtesy of fleabay. They work okay. But need to be replaced every couple of years. (And mine are due.) Fortunately at $5/ea, it's no biggie.

I've always used grip heaters, until I snagged a closeout pair of Oxford heated grips at tt.
    Heated grips>grip heaters. More spendy too, but much warmer.
    When I get a decent pair of heated gloves too, I'll be singing it from the mountaintops.
    The ones I have now keep you from getting cold, but they don't make your hands sweat. Somebody on the webz said that's all their supposed to do...but that's another thread.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I use grip puppies on my street bike. Last time I mounted the grip heaters under the factory grips and grip puppies. Next time I am tempted to mount between the factory grips and grip puppies. I think this will make the heat much more effective.

Again, $5 per installation...

I use grip puppies on my street bike. Last time I mounted the grip heaters under the factory grips and grip puppies. Next time I am tempted to mount between the factory grips and grip puppies. I think this will make the heat much more effective.

Again, $5 per installation...
    Here's a post of one guy that did this-
    http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-m...than-50-a.html

For my DR350, I put the grip heater elements on, I like these for the convenience of them being always there, can just flip a switch on the cool mornings or evenings. In the winter time, I put on a set of ATV mitts (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...usk-Hand-Mitts) over the bars. With these and the heaters, I'm good to about 35-40 degrees with my regular leather gloves on. Below that I'll put on my thicker warmer gloves.

Lifer

Yup.. that's exactly how I would do it. The symtec kit he used for $35 can be replaced by a $5 fleabay kit from china if you are a complete tight-wad. From everything I have seen.. it is exactly the same thing. Uses heat shrink that is supposed to insulate the heating element from the bar and prevent the bar from becoming a heat sync. But if you leave the factory grips in place then that is a non-issue.

The one thing I might spring for (and I did) was a fully variable controller. These use a PWM controller instead of a large power resistor and are tons more efficient. I worry about overloading the relatively meager charging system on my bike and like the idea of only drawing what I am using. I bought a Warm 'n Safe brand hard-mounted controller for the grips. Works well.

I actually use heated liners (first gear) under my gloves (cortech scarab) AND heated grips (oxford). I have reynaud's syndrome though... I need to keep my hands really warm to be comfortable.

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Heated gloves > heated liners. Simply from a comfort standpoint. With that said, Powerlet and Firstgear's heated glove liners are made from a spandex type material and are the thinnest out there. I am not sure what Gerbing was smoking when they made their glove liners, but the Gerbing ones are bulky and not at all form fitting.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

My 2 cents after riding year round for 20yrs is its a tradeoff. Liners are way less convenient. Heated gloves are most useful to me. I tried heated grips but at 3*F, I ride with 2 fingers on the levers so those freeze. (use rubber/foam lever covers or levers become a serious heat sink).

In the cold your fingers lose hugely vs aluminum and wind.

I use snomobile handguards too, but the heated gloves were a Godsend. I installed a cig lighter type outlet on the dash and plug them right in.

Well since I'm not a 12 month rider I don't need the WARMEST option, but just springing for some heated gloves seems like the easiest option right now. I have a Gerbing heated liner with the wires run for gloves, are those a universal fit or do I need some sort of adapter?

Hyper

Lifer

I believe everything uses the the coax connectors now. My First gear gloves plug into my Gerbing jacket and the jacket in turn plugs into my Firstgear controller.

I believe everything uses the the coax connectors now. My First gear gloves plug into my Gerbing jacket and the jacket in turn plugs into my Firstgear controller.
    Excellent, that's easy.

Hyper