Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Heated Grips Question

Heated Grips Question

What circuit on the bike should i hook Keira's Heated grips up to without putting too much of a drain on it. I could hook them straight to the battery but then Keira would have to remember to shut them off and even she admits that won't happen...

Bike is an 05' SV 650S.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Heated Grips Question

i have my warmers hooked up to low beam headlights. Been on there for 2 weeks and haven't had any ill effects. If your worried about tapping the headlights alone, you can always wire it up with a relay then tag the h/l's.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Heated Grips Question

Originally posted by duey
    i have my warmers hooked up to low beam headlights. Been on there for 2 weeks and haven't had any ill effects. If your worried about tapping the headlights alone, you can always wire it up with a relay then tag the h/l's.
    How do you know (based on current draw, resistance and wire gauge I guess) when you should use regular wire & switches versus relays?

Heated Grips Question

I used the running light circuit since i figure the headlights, brake light, and directions will all work if they blow a fuse. Damn those things get hot

Heated Grips Question

For just heated grips, you can probably get away with tapping in just about anywhere but your best bet would be to have it directly connected to the battery through a relay hooked to your running light circuit. This way it shuts off when the bike is off and doesn't excessively load other circuits on the bike. Using a relay also allows you to use a much smaller switch since it does not need to handle all of the current. Don't forget to use an inline fuse unless you have an auxiliary in your fuse box.

I've seen a few people disable their hazard lights and use the switch for that so they don't have to mount a new one.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Heated Grips Question

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    For just heated grips, you can probably get away with tapping in just about anywhere but your best bet would be to have it directly connected to the battery through a relay hooked to your running light circuit. This way it shuts off when the bike is off and doesn't excessively load other circuits on the bike. Using a relay also allows you to use a much smaller switch since it does not need to handle all of the current. Don't forget to use an inline fuse unless you have an auxiliary in your fuse box.

This is how I install them except I put the switch on the high current side of the relay. They draw very little current and the switch allows for high or low heat settings, something that would require two relays if you put the switch on the low current side of the relay(s).

In my application (as in above), the relay is there to prevent the grips from draining the battery when the bike is off and to isolate the "trigger" circuit from the grip circuit. I don't want a short in my grips to kill another electrical function on my bike.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Heated Grips Question

I can provide a wiring diagram for adding a relay, if anyone needs it.

Heated Grips Question

the only issue i have seen when tapping from the lights for power comes about if you also use those ghetto high current headlight bulbs... then with the grips on you have a very HIGH chance of blowing the fuse and having to ride home in the dark.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Heated Grips Question

great thing about the SV thought is the running lihgts are on a different circuit than the headlights, if you turn the key all the way back the running (parking) lights come one but not the headlights.