Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

HEL Brake Lines?

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

HEL Brake Lines?

In the market to buy some ss braided lines. A click away from buying the Galfers, I decided to shop around and found HEL's web site. Anyone have these installed? What is your opinion good/bad?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Re: HEL Brake Lines?

I've had two sets of HEL ss brake lines, custom ordered to fit my old CBR streetfighter and my new SV1000. Needed longer lines to work with risers and dirt-bike bars, so I ordered through HEL.

Good quality stuff, all stainless banjos and a pretty huge choice of colors for the banjos and lines. Great customer service as well, e-mailed back and forth with one of the guys to determine the right length and which kit I needed (wound up going with dual full-length lines up front). Also installed a full-length clutch line:

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

I only buy HEL lines. They have a place in Florida that you can call and order them to whatever length you want. They are great to deal with. I never buy pre made lines. IMO, the pre made are just long enough. I like to have just a little bit more of slack.
    They will make them the same day you order them, and you will have them in 2 days priority mail!

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

^^ Agreed. I ordered one set direct from HEL, the other from Nick at moto-madness.com, also a great guy to work with.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

High maintenance priss

I have HEL brake and a custom clutch lines on my TLR. I like their blacked-out Stealth line. Great product & support.

so you were looking at Galfers, then thought about HEL. why not consider Goodridge?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I'll throw another vote in for Hel lines. I have bought 3 sets from the boys at Moto Heaven. The fit is absolutely perfect and they will custom make them for you however you like. They also have a no-hassle lifetime guarantee. That guarantee covers everything from cosmetic damage to actual line failure.

It doesn't hurt that the majority of the real road racing crowd uses them across them pond from the Ulster to the NW.

Some interesting facts:
    Source: http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/info/aluminium-fittings.htm

Never Use Aluminium Fittings On Braking Systems
    Some people sell aluminium brake line fittings for brake hoses. Not only is this a dangerous practice but you will also notice that they are normally sold with a 'for race use only' label as a possible legal get out clause for the company involved.

HEL Performance have never and will never use aluminium fittings on brake lines - Why? When two metals with different electromotive force are placed together and are subjected to an electrically conductive fluid, 'electrolytic' corrosion takes place. If you are looking for a light weight, corrosion resistant high strength alternative to stainless steel then we suggest you check out the HEL Performance Titanium fitting mini site.

Electrolytic corrosion works on the same principles as a battery. Two metals, an anode and a cathode, are placed in fluid and an electrical reaction takes place which results in the softer metal being eroded due to electrolytic corrosion. Once these conditions are met, a "corrosion cell" is created, an electrical current will flow and metal will be consumed at the anode. The only way to remove this corrosion is by using metals of the same electromotive force (EMF). HEL Performance only ever use stainless steel or titanium fittings on stainless steel hose for our motorcycle brake lines which keeps the EMF constant across the system eliminating electrolytic corrosion.

Electrolytic Corrosion Of
    An Aluminium Fitting

This image shows the results of electrolytic corrosion of an aluminium fitting when connected to stainless steel hose. Corrosion has resulted in half of the fitting breaking away - if this line had been left on the vehicle the results could have been fatal. Do not use aluminium fittings on your brake lines.

For example, Aluminium has an EMF of +1.66 volts and stainless steel an EMF of -0.34 volts. When these two metals are in contact in the presence of a fluid (rain water etc) the electrolytic corrosion outlined above must take place resulting in the erosion of the anode (the positively charged metal in which in this case is aluminium). The greater the difference between the difference in the EMF's of the two metals the greater the level of corrosion.

In the case of an aluminium brake part this could lead to catastrophic results in the failure of the brake system. Again we reiterate that you should never use aluminium brake line fittings on any vehicle even for race use. The minimal weight saving obtained by using aluminium fittings is insignificant especially when viewed against the real dangers and risks involved when, and we mean when, the fitting corrodes.

Do not use aluminium fittings on your brake system.

HEL Performance only ever use Stainless Steel or Titanium fittings, on stainless steel hose with either stainless steel or Titanium bolts. So Ride the best you can - Fit HEL Performance Brake Lines.

Last edited by SAB; 02-12-10 at 05:45 PM.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Went with the HEL's gold color banjo's with smoke color coating. I like the fact that the HEL's have stainless steel banjo fittings, unlike galfer. Goodrich has a nice product but, I didn't think they offered the color options like Hel or Galfer did. Can't Fuggin wait for Spring!!!!

Last edited by Trajiks9; 02-14-10 at 02:34 PM.

Got HEL lines on my kz1000 and the ZZR,, top notch stuff. worth every dime. JT

Posting Freak

Sorry to go OT but what do Galfer use for fittings??

2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Ebony Edition
    Miles my first (this) season: 5800
    KAWASAKI RULES WOOOOO!

This writeup is correct. +1

Quote Originally Posted by SAB View Post
    I'll throw another vote in for Hel lines. I have bought 3 sets from the boys at Moto Heaven. The fit is absolutely perfect and they will custom make them for you however you like. They also have a no-hassle lifetime guarantee. That guarantee covers everything from cosmetic damage to actual line failure.

It doesn't hurt that the majority of the real road racing crowd uses them across them pond from the Ulster to the NW.

Some interesting facts:
    Source: http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/info/aluminium-fittings.htm

Some people sell aluminium brake line fittings for brake hoses. Not only is this a dangerous practice but you will also notice that they are normally sold with a 'for race use only' label as a possible legal get out clause for the company involved.

HEL Performance have never and will never use aluminium fittings on brake lines - Why? When two metals with different electromotive force are placed together and are subjected to an electrically conductive fluid, 'electrolytic' corrosion takes place. If you are looking for a light weight, corrosion resistant high strength alternative to stainless steel then we suggest you check out the HEL Performance Titanium fitting mini site.

Electrolytic corrosion works on the same principles as a battery. Two metals, an anode and a cathode, are placed in fluid and an electrical reaction takes place which results in the softer metal being eroded due to electrolytic corrosion. Once these conditions are met, a "corrosion cell" is created, an electrical current will flow and metal will be consumed at the anode. The only way to remove this corrosion is by using metals of the same electromotive force (EMF). HEL Performance only ever use stainless steel or titanium fittings on stainless steel hose for our motorcycle brake lines which keeps the EMF constant across the system eliminating electrolytic corrosion.

Electrolytic Corrosion Of
    An Aluminium Fitting

This image shows the results of electrolytic corrosion of an aluminium fitting when connected to stainless steel hose. Corrosion has resulted in half of the fitting breaking away - if this line had been left on the vehicle the results could have been fatal. Do not use aluminium fittings on your brake lines.

For example, Aluminium has an EMF of +1.66 volts and stainless steel an EMF of -0.34 volts. When these two metals are in contact in the presence of a fluid (rain water etc) the electrolytic corrosion outlined above must take place resulting in the erosion of the anode (the positively charged metal in which in this case is aluminium). The greater the difference between the difference in the EMF's of the two metals the greater the level of corrosion.

In the case of an aluminium brake part this could lead to catastrophic results in the failure of the brake system. Again we reiterate that you should never use aluminium brake line fittings on any vehicle even for race use. The minimal weight saving obtained by using aluminium fittings is insignificant especially when viewed against the real dangers and risks involved when, and we mean when, the fitting corrodes.

Do not use aluminium fittings on your brake system.

HEL Performance only ever use Stainless Steel or Titanium fittings, on stainless steel hose with either stainless steel or Titanium bolts. So Ride the best you can - Fit HEL Performance Brake Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajiks9 View Post
    Went with the HEL's gold color banjo's with smoke color coating. I like the fact that the HEL's have stainless steel banjo fittings, unlike galfer. Goodrich has a nice product but, I didn't think they offered the color options like Hel or Galfer did. Can't Fuggin wait for Spring!!!!
    Good deal

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

anyone have an email address for these guys? the US site says contact@helperformance.com but the phone number above and mailing address below it says UK.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    anyone have an email address for these guys? the US site says contact@helperformance.com but the phone number above and mailing address below it says UK.
    Mto-Heaven is the best US rep. They are really fast and quite helpful with dealing with any Hel related questions, orders, or warranty work.

http://www.moto-heaven.com/store/hel...us&mode=update

Quote Originally Posted by SAB View Post
    Mto-Heaven is the best US rep. They are really fast and quite helpful with dealing with any Hel related questions, orders, or warranty work.

http://www.moto-heaven.com/store/hel...us&mode=update
    cool thanks, I just sent off an email.

+1 for HEL.
    I got mine direct from HEL in the UK after they had problems a couple of years ago with their then distributor in FL. The guy took my money and didn't ship the lines, I wrote to Simon, owner of HEL in the UK, he refunded my money and sent me the lines air freight with stainless banjos FOC.
    Thats what I call customer service, they work great, I have used Goodridge in the past and whilst they are not any better performance wise, the color combos are great if you want a custom look.

ok so how do I measure these things up to get the length I need. I took some measurements with the suspension fully extended. The shortest I got was 30inches but that was running as direct a line from the master to the caliper as I could get so that would be no slack in the line. how many more inches should I add to that?

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

wish i had known about custom fits... i just ordered the generic fit for my bike. they are all a bit long, and the angles on the ends aren't the same as OEM. however, +1 for the quality, color choices, and including the banjo bolts and washers.

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

oh yeah and should I go with a 70° or 90° banjo fitting? I'm adding a brembo master cylinder so this end would go off that and I know straight won't be anywhere near ideal.

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    oh yeah and should I go with a 70° or 90° banjo fitting? I'm adding a brembo master cylinder
    I have a 90* off my Brembo M/C, but your application may be different. I'd think you'd want to mount up the M/C and then look to see what will work the best.

[edit] And on measuring, I believe they take their measurements from the ends of the banjo's. HEL should have measurements already for a dual-line system and I would think it would be the same measurement (just different banjo for your application). They'll help figure it out. Err'ing on a little too long (inch?) is better; can just tie it up on the lower triple or forks.

FWIW - HELs measurements for their standard dual-line on the TL is *just* long enough. Knowing that, i'd add a 0.5-1 inch just to be safe if changing a fitting.

Last edited by keeena; 04-08-10 at 04:55 PM. Reason: rambling

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I have a 90* off my Brembo M/C, but your application may be different. I'd think you'd want to mount up the M/C and then look to see what will work the best.

[edit] And on measuring, I believe they take their measurements from the ends of the banjo's. HEL should have measurements already for a dual-line system and I would think it would be the same measurement (just different banjo for your application). They'll help figure it out. Err'ing on a little too long (inch?) is better; can just tie it up on the lower triple or forks.

FWIW - HELs measurements for their standard dual-line on the TL is *just* long enough. Knowing that, i'd add a 0.5-1 inch just to be safe if changing a fitting.
    I need custom lines because the lines I have now are too short with the Brembo. they don't even reach. I had to move the starter switch over and put the brembo right next to the throttle so that the brake lever wouldn't hit the throttle cables and housing. that combined with the completely different design compared to the non-radial style stock one and where the lines connect plus having helibars equals me needing longer lines. The email response I got from them is they just need to know the length I want and they can make it and its measure from the center of the banjo.

and I'm thinking the 70° fitting would work best so that I can point the lines toward the center of the bike rather than having them just go straight down with the 90. I just kinda wanted to see if there was someone smarter than me who had a good reason to go with one over the other. but I think it really is just down to each individual case.

Take the amount you are short on the standard lines and add an inch or 2, I have used a piece of electrical wire to simulate the line including slack etc then straighten it and measure the length.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Take the amount you are short on the standard lines and add an inch or 2, I have used a piece of electrical wire to simulate the line including slack etc then straighten it and measure the length.
    Good luck!
    that gives me an idea. I'm gonna take a piece of wire and run it just like I want. then measure it. thanks.

I'd get them a few inches longer than you actually need. It makes routing them easier and caliper cleaning becomes a snap if you have room to play with.

ok just emailed him again with the lengths, fittings and colors I want. is it weird to be excited about brake lines?