Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Held Phantom vs A* GP Pro/Tech vs Knox Handroid

Re: Held Phantom vs A* GP Pro/Tech vs Knox Handroid

If you want something cheaper but with Knox's scaphoid protector, take a look at the Teknic Violator 2013 model @ around $150.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So, as noted above I'm a fan of Titans, the top end Held offerings, but I'm going to be trying out Heroic's SP-Rs this season for a comparison. Currently listed at $250 on their site so in the right ballpark price wise in comparison to the Phantoms. I'll get some comparison pics between my Titans and the SP-Rs this weekend if there is interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    So, as noted above I'm a fan of Titans, the top end Held offerings, but I'm going to be trying out Heroic's SP-Rs this season for a comparison. Currently listed at $250 on their site so in the right ballpark price wise in comparison to the Phantoms. I'll get some comparison pics between my Titans and the SP-Rs this weekend if there is interest.
    A few people who have pitted around/with me have picked these up...mixed reviews on their parts. I'm sticking with the proven Helds.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I love my Helds except for the fitment on my pinky and thumb. All my other fingers fit perfectly except those two where I have about an 1/8 of an inch of play. Aside from that I love these gloves because of the comfort and protection they provide.

Shannon

I commented to Held about their almost comically long thumbs when I got my current Titans and their advice was to 'milk' the thumb down over your hand, in time the base will stretch so your thumb can fill the whole space... I may still just get the thumbs shortened on mine.

I may still just get the thumbs shortened on mine.
    I was thinking about that. Not sure where I could take them to be altered aside from a track day.

Shannon

How do they fit compared with A*? I use a XXL A* and it's still too tight even after breaking them in, he KOBE Pro I have been using XL fits nice. I need another pair of gloves for backup (probably make the A* the backup). I was gonna go with Kobe's again but I went through 2 sets already and they keep blowing apart after 1 crash. If the Helds last 2 crashes I'm ahead of the game.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Anyone ever tried kushitani?

I've only tried on both and the Heroic seems much nicer to me. I bought a pair of Heroic SP-Rs last year but haven't ridden in them yet. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dip Dungles View Post
    I was thinking about that. Not sure where I could take them to be altered aside from a track day.
    send them to Heroic. Todd will do them.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

I just picked up a pair of GP Plus' off ebay BNWT for $100 shipped. havnt gotten to ride with them yet but they have been breaking in nicely wearing them around the house etc. good solid construction. kinda almost looking forward to going down on them to test em out

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

I have a pair of Held Evo Thrux(I know, not the same gloves) that I had to replace 3 times last season/6000 miles due to it coming apart. Once the valcro was coming off the strap, then the finger stitching came apart and then the inside liner in one of the fingers. Finally got a good pair and they're really comfy. They're thin so I really feel everything.

I'd go for the Phantoms. As someone said, they can be had for $200 now on closeout.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    How do they fit compared with A*? I use a XXL A* and it's still too tight even after breaking them in, he KOBE Pro I have been using XL fits nice. I need another pair of gloves for backup (probably make the A* the backup). I was gonna go with Kobe's again but I went through 2 sets already and they keep blowing apart after 1 crash. If the Helds last 2 crashes I'm ahead of the game.
    Comparing gloves when it comes to their sizes is near impossible IMHO. Put it this way, I have had a pair of Cortech Adrenaline's sized medium, A* GP Pro's size XL and my current Held Phantom's in size 9. My hands are all over the place when it comes to size.

When I bought my Held's from Seacoast they were tight enough to cause discomfort in my palms. After being broken in they fit quite well (minus the length in the pinky and thumb).

Just keep trying pairs on till you find the right pair for your paws.

Shannon

I have a pair of knox handroids and I can tell you that the fit and feel is great, alot of wrist support, more than any other glove ive tried probably because of the plates around the wrist and sidi type locking, the kangaroo offers alot of feel and you can definitely tell the difference in thickness between regular leather and kangaroo when you have them on

I went with the HELD Phantoms, there were only a couple left in my size and my color Black, on both Revzilla + Superbiketrackgear combined.
    I shall post some pics once they arrive and add my 0.2

Crash tested the phantoms and they held up fairly well. Got Todd at heroic to throw some stingray on the palm were I wore through a tad. Good as new

Hey fellas, so I received my Held phantoms yesterday and tried them on this morning. They fit well across the palm but the fingers and thumb are a tad bit longer. I may try to get a size smaller.
    These gloves are pretty high quality though, protection is every where and they feel super light. I paid 200$ for these from Sportbiketrackgear.com.
    Any one else had the length issue with these gloves? Worth getting them hemmed?

Had the same problem with my size 9's. thumb and pinky are about 1-2 cm too long. Tried the next size down but they were unbearable.

About to send mine off to heroic to get trimmed

Last edited by Dip Dungles; 03-05-13 at 11:14 PM.
    Shannon

My first Titans I got in 2009 the fingers / thumb were perfect. The Titans I got last year, clownishly long thumbs. Titan claims they will stretch at the base and thus not be so foolish over time but I'm very tempted to have them tweaked via Todd @ Heroic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    Anyone ever tried kushitani?
    I have a pair.. Also have a pair of held galaxys and phantoms. All three have saved my hands from injury in crashes. The kushitanis have thin fingers and took a little bit before they were comfortable. I wasnt a fan of the soft padding but it did just fine. What I didnt like was the thin leather loops around the fingers that held the padding for the knuckles in place. Once those are torn the padding is free to flop around. This year Ill be going back to a set of Helds or maybe Heroics.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I have a pair.. Also have a pair of held galaxys and phantoms. All three have saved my hands from injury in crashes. The kushitanis have thin fingers and took a little bit before they were comfortable. I wasnt a fan of the soft padding but it did just fine. What I didnt like was the thin leather loops around the fingers that held the padding for the knuckles in place. Once those are torn the padding is free to flop around. This year Ill be going back to a set of Helds or maybe Heroics.
    Was it the gp6? Overall how would u compare its "crashability" compared to a phantom? I haven't crash tested my phantoms yet but heard it's tried & true several times over. I've tried heroics & have to admit they were very comfortable out the box. My buddy crashed in the bowl with them & they didn't hold up as well as I thought they should but it did saved his hands.

Thanks guys, think I will give it some time see if the thumb length would settle into the base, else I may reach out to Todd @ heroic

Since you guys are on the subject of gloves. I got the Dainese Super Speed jacket 2 weeks ago and I took my bike out last sat but my glove felt really uncomfortable. The jacket has a really tight and snug fit all over. I usually wear short cuff gloves because I ride on the street. The jacket sleeve is pushing on the end of the glove. Do you guys usually unzip the wrist and tuck the glove in the jacket? I like to ride with the wrist part zipped shut. The glove I'm using with this jacket is the Dainese 4 Stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    Was it the gp6? Overall how would u compare its "crashability" compared to a phantom? I haven't crash tested my phantoms yet but heard it's tried & true several times over. I've tried heroics & have to admit they were very comfortable out the box. My buddy crashed in the bowl with them & they didn't hold up as well as I thought they should but it did saved his hands.
    They are the gpr6. I crashed them 3 times. Once and the time that doomed them was in 1a when I came down flat on my palms. I went down hard enough to keep my hands tingling for over an hour.

What tore and makes them unusable to me is the thin leather band around the pinky finger that holds the padding over the knuckles on. I thought that was a poor design from the start.

I will probably be getting a set of Helds again. I like the hard armor, I think they crash a bit better even though I did wear a hole through a set of Phantoms and mainly because they are easier to get. If I really need a pair and I cant get them at the race track, I can get them down the street at Seacoast.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    They are the gpr6. I crashed them 3 times. Once and the time that doomed them was in 1a when I came down flat on my palms. I went down hard enough to keep my hands tingling for over an hour.

What tore and makes them unusable to me is the thin leather band around the pinky finger that holds the padding over the knuckles on. I thought that was a poor design from the start.

I will probably be getting a set of Helds again. I like the hard armor, I think they crash a bit better even though I did wear a hole through a set of Phantoms and mainly because they are easier to get. If I really need a pair and I cant get them at the race track, I can get them down the street at Seacoast.
    Awesome thanks for that comparison. Guess ill be sticking with held

Quote Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
    Do you guys usually unzip the wrist and tuck the glove in the jacket? I like to ride with the wrist part zipped shut.
    I always make sure that my jacket is underneath my gloves. That way in case of a fall my jacket will not slide up and leave my arms/wrist exposed to the pavement.

Shannon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast