Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

best helmet for comfort

Re: best helmet for comfort

If only Arai did something with their shield mechanism. I have Arai for over 3 years and I dread every time I need to remove/install the shield.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    If only Arai did something with their shield mechanism. I have Arai for over 3 years and I dread every time I need to remove/install the shield.
    Not one for changing shields much, that would be an annoyance that I could easily live with if the helmet is comfy after 400 miles and shield is securely mounted. The mechanism on my last helmet (HJC AC-10 or maybe AC-12???) while easy to use is pretty flimsy and unreliable. Also does not support any opening between closed an open 1" or so.

when I first had an Arai, I was concerned, but no more, I actually like the ease even if it does sound like its gonna break, never broke one yet, 5 years changing from smoke to clear and back on a daily basis, its a proven shield change IMHO,

on the other hand, I have broke the mechanism on Shoei visors a couple times and HJC, more times than I can count and I've hardly worn the helmet

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

I am quite aware that comfort is a function of helmet shape and head shape and that I'll need to try many on to find a proper initial fit, that's clearly a given. I was looking a bit deeper into the issue and trying to find out what helmets have a reputation for comfort late in the ride and that goes beyond what you can feel while trying one on in a store, even if you wear it for 3 hours (there's a huge difference between walking around a store and roaring through turbulent air at 50 MPH). I realize this is clearly subjective, but that was the point... Based on what I'm reading, Arai will be a must try. I have always shied away from them due to the price, but I am now at a stage in my life where comfort is becoming more important.
    I've come to realize that it's better to pay more for comfortable gear than to pay less and realize it's unbearable and then have to buy the expensive gear anyway.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Bought an Arai Corsair-V today. So far so good. Sure has a lot of vents.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Really easy once you get used to changing visors

I guess I must be really lucky cause I've never had a helmet bother me even after day long rides, I even tend to forget that I'm wearing my current Hjc fg-17 because it is so light and fits so perfect, I'd compare it the the most comfortable recliner just wrapped around my head. This is the 1st helmet I've owned that the vents actually make a difference with air flow instead of just extra turbulence noise.

Now my ass getting sore from my rock hard factory seat is another story.

I really like Arai but the only one that fits me (long oval head) is the Signet-Q. Off road I have Shoei.

https://www.araiamericas.com/assets/...-Q_flyer-6.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post
    I guess I must be really lucky cause I've never had a helmet bother me even after day long rides, I even tend to forget that I'm wearing my current Hjc fg-17 because it is so light and fits so perfect, I'd compare it the the most comfortable recliner just wrapped around my head. This is the 1st helmet I've owned that the vents actually make a difference with air flow instead of just extra turbulence noise.

Now my ass getting sore from my rock hard factory seat is another story.
    I wish I were that way. I've done a couple of 2 hour rides and the Arai is not much better than my last helmet for comfort after being on me for awhile. Oh well, maybe it'll break in. Feels awesome for the first 90 minutes or so and seems to be made very well. Sure glad I got a steep discount, the MSRP on that thing is crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12