Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need new helmet, where to find good selection?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Need new helmet, where to find good selection?

I need to start looking for a new helmet. I was given one by a member on here after my crash (thank you!), but it's too big, it fits loose on my head. It's a Joe Rocket, medium size. I rode all day with it yesterday, altho I did like the fact it was not squishing my face, I still think it might be too loose to be safe...it will do for now if it can allow me to ride but I really need to find something appropriate.

So the closest dealership that seems to be around me is Valley Motorsports in Northampton. I find that they don't have a good selection. Their helmets choice is not very extensive, seems like they keep the basic models of Shoei, Scorpion and HJC.

I'd like to see variety...colors...graphics. My helmet was a Shoei, I really liked it. I would like to see Shoei, Scorpion (exo700 and up), etc. I want to stay away from HJC or any other low end brand. I'm not looking to brake the bank, either. I would even be willing to buy used, as long as it's a recent helmet with little wear on it and obviously has never been dropped, hence...no scratches/paint knicks should be visible as a proof of that.

Anyone know of a dealership that carries a nice inventory of sportbike gear? Should be within reasonable driving distance from me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

Re: Need new helmet, where to find good selection?

DUNCANMOTO

Go see Ted and Komaki.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hmm....for your info...I live in Southwick MA....reasonable distance....LOL Altho to see Komaki....hmm.

Do they have a good selection of the brands I want to try?? (I don't remember seeing many helmets when I was there?) If I can't see/try them on in the specific brand I want, I am not buying. I need to try on different sizes/models to see how it will fit.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

I'll let Ted chime in here on what he has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    Hmm....for your info...I live in Southwick MA....reasonable distance....LOL Altho to see Komaki....hmm.

Do they have a good selection of the brands I want to try?? (I don't remember seeing many helmets when I was there?) If I can't see/try them on in the specific brand I want, I am not buying. I need to try on different sizes/models to see how it will fit.

try on local, then call ted and have em ship it

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Hey kiddo go too Cyclegear in Manchester Ct 1/2 hr from your house. See what fits and the make model you like and then order from Duncanmoto. Cyclegear has a big selection to try. RT 83 Tolland Turnpike Manchester Ct.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

For selection, just check the helmet sites to get an idea of what each has:

Arai:
    http://www.araiamericas.com/#/home

Shoei:
    http://www.shoei.com/

Scorpion:
    http://www.scorpionusa.com/

Suomy:
    http://www.suomy.com/

HJC:
    http://www.hjchelmets.com/

As for fit, I would call local dealerships to see who carries what line. Enfield Motorsports might carry a decent line of helmets. Their site says they carry HJC, Scorpion, and Arai.
    http://www.enfieldmotorsports.com/

Last edited by The Snowman; 05-16-10 at 07:49 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Komaki can fit you V and it'll be better than any other dealer you go to.
    Arai and Shoei full fitment line and some graphics to show you too.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ
    try on local, then call ted and have em ship it
    +1 On Duncanmoto

Here are the helmets I really like, after viewing the links Chuck provided:

Shoei:

From the RF-1000 serie...
    Crest TC-5
    Diabolic 3 TC-5
    Diabolic Nightwing TC-5 (REALLY like that one..)
    Diabolic Zero TC-5

TZ-R serie...
    Vogue TC-7

Scorpion:

Sinister EXO-700
    Black Dahlia EXO-700

Now while I was working at one of the auctions a few weeks ago, the owner of a shop came in with a box filled with fancy pastries for me. (I had spoken to him on the phone before and he had told me he'd bring me a surprise..lol). When he learned that I was also a rider after asking him if he was carrying sportbike helmets in his shop (he's a Harley shop), he had told me he did carry them and if I was going to his shop, he'd let me buy any helmet I want at his cost. Seems like a pretty good deal to me but my question is...do shops make that much of a profit to start with on helmets? If they do...of course I"d like to be able to save on a big chunk of money by going to him....I could really use the savings...but if they do not, I'd prefer to encourage Ted's shop 100% even if that means I have to pay a few extra dollars.

I would highly suggest getting fitted before making any decisions on color or design. Going to someone who can fit properly, which is sounds like DuncanMoto is a good choice, can make all the difference. I had a very uncomfortable helmet until I started fitting Arai's for a friend of mine. The fitting time for the average person can be anywhere from 10-30 minutes so depending the helmet, it is a matter of the right shape, liner and cheek pad size, then design. The good thing is though that once you find what fits, you are set for awhile (or until they discontinue) Good luck!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Being fitted by someone else in not a concern to me. If I try the helmet on and I feel comfortable in it, it's all that matters. I know what to look for. I have tried heavy and light helmets before...definitely need lighter or I'll get headaches from a heavy helmet. And I know looser is more comfortable...but I also know it is not how it's supposed to fit (not safe)...the one I'm wearing right now..I love it because it's not snug...which means it's also unsafe. Got to find one that fits snug without making me feel like I'm going to choke in it. The Shoei I had was it...snug but still comfy and not too heavy.

A big plus for the new helmet I'm going to get is REMOVABLE liner. The one that was given to me has it and I LOVE that feature. I'm seriously leaning towards the Scorpion because it has everything I'm looking for...very good price, removable liner, good quality without braking the bank, acceptable design (not as pretty as the Shoei's tho...), very good ventilation, etc.

just got ordered a new lid from Ted, didnt even plan on buying a helmet but there are some Ridiculous deals on Arai's going on. Before it i'd completely ruled them out cause of cost but i ended up paying 100$ less for my Profile then i did for my RF-1000

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Just curious...whats the difference between a HJC and a Shoei or Arai? Another racer today tried on my HJC and said ti was more comfortable than his Arai and blew it out of the water.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

"Budeep a bubba"

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just curious...whats the difference between a HJC and a Shoei or Arai? Another racer today tried on my HJC and said ti was more comfortable than his Arai and blew it out of the water.
    I think it depends on your head. I tried on probably two dozen helmets before deciding on mine. I do think the liner materials are nicer on some of the more expensive helmets, but I'm not sure it's worth the difference. I have an Arai that was relatively expensive, even at closeout pricing, but I think it was worth it for me because nothing else fit as well. However, I'm not convinced that it will protect any better than a proper fitting helmet at 1/4 the price.

The only downside is that I think it is noiser than I remember my first Arai F-1 to be. The current model has a lot of vents, which probably add noise, or maybe it's just the way the upwash comes off my fairing and others aren't having the same experience with their Corsair V. No biggy, I generally ride with ear plugs...

Go with ARAI. You cant go wrong with an Arai. I bought mine from DuncanMoto. Ted will help you and take his time until you get the perfect fit and satisfy. They're good people.

I thought I knew how a helmet should fit, and what I wanted...and then duncanmoto told me I belonged in (whatever it was). Them kids were right. I've never had a helmet that fit as good as their recommendation, and I've had so-called knowledgeable salespeople help me out before. Them duncans know their stuff. Inside and out. It'll be worth the drive.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I don't like any of the Arai or Suomy graphics. Arai seems to gather more towards masculine graphics where as Suomy is way too "busy" with the colors/graphics.

Given the few that I typed previously, I think you get a pretty good idea of the type of graphics I'm looking for, as well as the colors. It's pretty much always with black/white/grey/a little bit of dark blue or pink. I do not want another solid color helmet as this is what I had with my previous Shoei...now I want a helmet with nice graphics that I like.

I might go to Ted and Komaki, if there is a good selection in Shoei and/or Scorpion. It's just the distance is a big turn off just to try a helmet on. I hope I can make it down there at some point.