Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

kind of long but... NEW HERE... help me out?

I live in the natick/framingham etc etc area. I recently got a new job that has let me start thinking about spending some money on things I have wanted for a while. I have never been on a sportbike and wont act like I know anything about riding one. I have been on countless quads/dirtbikes which doesnt really count. I am 21 and I know my insurance will probably cost at least $2000 from what I have been told for my age and a sportbike.

In about 2 months I want to put some money down ($1500-$2000) on a used 2001 GSXR 600 and finance it for 3 or 4 years. I have been told to look to spend around $100 a month from various places I have called for quotes on this model. I am only looking for a used 01 in the mid $6000's with decent miles. I have all this class information and stuff I am going to sign up for before hand so I dont just go out and crash the thing or die. I am not an ass who will try anything stupid before I learn for months and months trust me. My first car was a Mustang and I didnt tach it out, race it or burnout/donut in it until I had it for the whole summer basically so I dont really need any comment about being a dumbass for thinking about a 600 right away I think I can learn the bike like I learned my car. I have actually been told by a person who is 22/23 now that started off with a brand new 03 R1 last year and said he was happy that he went bigger to learn instead of a used 600 but I am convinced my choice of a 01 600 is a good one.

I dont want to get anything else really because I dont like any of the other looks/styles (R6,ninja,CBR) and I have have been learning about only GSXR parts you know? Like I have made up a list of stuff I want to do to the bike right away. I am just trying to fill in a hole for where my Stang used to be and modding the bike might keep my mind off stuff.

So any suggestions on good places for learning to ride? Any good places that do performance mods and installs? I was at the Expo center car show this January and there was a bunch of sick bikes there from this one place but I lost their info and I dont remember the name because I wasnt interested in getting a bike then like I am now so anyone remember who they might be? So any help or suggestions on a place to get insurance, take beginner classes, performance shops, dealers etc would be a great help. Thanks everyone take it easy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You're going about it correctly, no doubt. You really can't lose with the Gix 6. But I'd suggest looking for something real solid and well taken care of. Forget about the bling 'til you learn how to ride it the way it is. The best used bikes out there are usually the ones that haven't been modified yet...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Thanks man good advice. Yeah I was deciding if I should get something that already has exhaust/rearsets/damper and all that stuff or just get one thats stock but you certainly made a good point I will follow when it comes time to go out and look for one. Thanks again man lol

....................... PinHead's Avatar

If ya keep an eye around these web sites your bound to see some sweet deals go through as well. Get a loan pre-aproval from a credit union and wait till you see a sweet ride that meets your needs.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

No insult intended here, but I would look for something USED, dependable, and durable. DEFINATELY look for something "dumpable", because you WILL drop it...

Kawasaki EX500 springs to mind...

Here's another thing to ponder...You know that nice little rush you get when the 2 stroke dirtbike hit it's powerband? TRIPLE it for a sportbike...Stay away from anything over 600cc's for an inline 4, and 750cc's for a V-twin...

And Stone is correct. Find a used bike that has as little modification done to it as possible...

Good luck, and welcome to the fold. !

Signature:
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
    HTML code is ON
    vB Code is ON
    [img] code is ON
    Smilies are ON

Damn Joe,
    I usually wait until the noob's post counts hit around 100 before I let them know that you tend to post pictures of your girlfriend...Don't be mad that you have to leave the Ninja in the garage and take the Euclid/Hitachi out with us when she wants to ride on the back...Sheesh..

Signature:
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
    HTML code is ON
    vB Code is ON
    [img] code is ON
    Smilies are ON

01 GSXR_600 eh?

got 1 with x-tras but the decent miles kinda done fucked it all up i reckon

" Never create what you can't control "

Bikes?

To each their own.......

If your tall, you'll want a longer frame or heli bars etc...........

If your shorter frame then a lot more bikes are available to you for comfort and ergonomics.

I know Rock GSX750NH has a 2002 750 gixxer and loves it.
    a tad more pow than the 600 your thinking of. and at around 385 lbs the bike is LIGHT and feels well balanced. Sure weighs less than my 'bird @500 lbs.

But if your new to bikes I'd start around 600cc or dirtbike a bit.

If your tall like 6'2" and up, then work into a liter bike like an older Honda 1000F or other "gentleman's crusier"

Also, try a NH dealership or one far out in the boonies.
    You'll start with a better price to negotiate down from.

-Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

okay, i held out as long as i could.

take a serious look at the Suzuki SV650/SV650S.
    awesome little bikes for short money. less plastic to get bunged up, lots of easy upgrades when you're ready. no winding it up to 13,000 RPM before you get any usable power.

'course, ben'll say it would be a great SECOND bike.

can't go wrong w/ the ex500, i must admit.

but the SV is way cooler.
    and that's what's really important, isn't it?

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Forget the EX500. You will not like it and the chicks will make fun of you. If you go with a SV650 then people will think you are a girl. The SV650 is a favorite for girl riders.People say get one that is banged up because you will crash it. I do not believe everyone out there is going to crash on their bike.

Instead go around to a bunch of shops and sit on different bikes. Find one that fits you well and you feel comfortable on. At your age the main concern is treating the bike with respect. You are going to want to get on the highway and see how fast this bike will go. Resist temptation and take it very slow. A bike is all about respect and riding within your ability. A 500, 650, 750, or 1000cc bike will all kill you. Just start off slow and take corners at a reduced speed.

My first bike was a TL1000R right off the showroom floor. I am 6'2" and that bike fit me so well. I love the VTwin for torque and also size but they are very heavy. I did not crash or go down on that bike.

The next year I found myself on a new 2002 CBR954. This bike was not as comfortable but light and better suited for the riding style I was doing.

The point I am trying to make is that it does not matter what bike you get. Focus on what bike fits you best for the money you have to spend. Then once you get a bike what matters is taking it slow and learning how the bike handles. Be very careful in the turns because that is where most people go down. Take the Mass motorcycle course and learn how to be safe on the road.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

~ FTrain

If you use your head and know what your limits are and don't try to keep up with the "big dogs" you can ride anything that you like. My first bike was a Katana 600, rode it for a year, after that I went straight to the GSX1300R Hayabusa. I know what my limits are and stay in them, I know not to try shit that I can't do, and I don't try to keep up with anyone in the twisties that I don't think I can keep up with. The straights........now that's a different story, but that just comes with the bike I bought.

Seriously though, as long as your smart about it, the GSXR600 will be fine. Just take your time and be smart. Stay on top of your maintenance too, a chain on a street bike needs 100000 times more attention than a dirt bike or ATV. Maintenance and upkeep can make you or break you on a street bike.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

ftrain..your comment about people who will think that guys riding SV650 are girls is way off base....there is many guys out there who ride the SV650 (nakked) and the SVS...that is a silly thing to say, and I hope guys who ride a SV in here won't see your comment! LOL About people saying that newbies WILL crash their bike to begin with, that is not true. I havent' crash my brand new bike and I'm in my second season riding. (I'm not saying I won't crash it eventually tho....) Besides, the SV650S is badass bike! (not the nakked version tho) and I'd like to get one myself when I have the loop. Besides....you have to think, besides other motorcyclists, most people don't know shit about bikes! Hell, I ride a 250, and I get as much looks from cagers than any other rider out there. Because to them, I'm sitting on a machine that "kills"....LOL They don't know if I'm riding a 250cc, or a 600cc...besides, most of them calls any sportbikes "ninja" they say stuff like "oh, you ride one of those Ninja bikes" even to people riding other makes....LOL

Originally posted by ftrain
    Forget the EX500. You will not like it and the chicks will make fun of you. If you go with a SV650 then people will think you are a girl. The SV650 is a favorite for girl riders.People say get one that is banged up because you will crash it. I do not believe everyone out there is going to crash on their bike.

Instead go around to a bunch of shops and sit on different bikes. Find one that fits you well and you feel comfortable on. At your age the main concern is treating the bike with respect. You are going to want to get on the highway and see how fast this bike will go. Resist temptation and take it very slow. A bike is all about respect and riding within your ability. A 500, 650, 750, or 1000cc bike will all kill you. Just start off slow and take corners at a reduced speed.

My first bike was a TL1000R right off the showroom floor. I am 6'2" and that bike fit me so well. I love the VTwin for torque and also size but they are very heavy. I did not crash or go down on that bike.

The next year I found myself on a new 2002 CBR954. This bike was not as comfortable but light and better suited for the riding style I was doing.

The point I am trying to make is that it does not matter what bike you get. Focus on what bike fits you best for the money you have to spend. Then once you get a bike what matters is taking it slow and learning how the bike handles. Be very careful in the turns because that is where most people go down. Take the Mass motorcycle course and learn how to be safe on the road.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

Too late, already saw it!! LOL
    My SV is my first bike and I love it! I may fall behind a bit on the straights, but, this thing corners GREAT! I've ridden with all sorts of riders/bikes and had little trouble keeping up. Good bang for the buck, that's for sure!

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Buy what you like. Don't spend a lot. A bike you need to fix up a little will keep you riding more responsibly since you put all the work into it and it's way cheaper than everything else out there.

Don't buy new, it's just a waste in my opinion. Unless you are planning to keep a bike until it dies, then new is just braggin rights.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Also remember that you will most likely drop your bike. It may not be while it is moving, but it might be that you forget to put the kickstand down, forget to put it in gear when it is parked on a hill, some kids playing near it. Your first bike will go down at one point or another 99% of the time. There are the lucky few, but there is a saying that those who have not dropped a bike will drop a bike. So remember that if you see a bike that you like but has some scratched up fairings I wouldn't worry about it.

There is a lot of excellent advise posted. My thought are as follows, assuming the rider is responsible and stays within their limits. Staying within "their limits" is key!
    1. Buy used - for the first street bike, there are many good deals out there right now. Stay away from the heavely mod'd ones.
    2. Set down on alot of bikes and find one that "feels good" and is designed for the type of riding you intend to do.
    3. Engine size, this could play a key role in your insurance cost.
    Consult an insurance agent on the displacement/cost. If you plan to do a lot of highway cruising, I would go with 1000 and up, otherwise 600 - 750 is ok.
    4. Then with the above factors in mind, purchase what just plain looks good to you.

Check out the motorcycle safety coarse. Good luck !

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Originally posted by NHBusa
    There is a lot of excellent advise posted. My thought are as follows, assuming the rider is responsible and stays within their limits. Staying within "their limits" is key!
    1. Buy used - for the first street bike, there are many good deals out there right now. Stay away from the heavely mod'd ones.
    2. Set down on alot of bikes and find one that "feels good" and is designed for the type of riding you intend to do.
    3. Engine size, this could play a key role in your insurance cost.
    Consult an insurance agent on the displacement/cost. If you plan to do a lot of highway cruising, I would go with 1000 and up, otherwise 600 - 750 is ok.
    4. Then with the above factors in mind, purchase what just plain looks good to you.

Check out the motorcycle safety coarse. Good luck !
    I agree with every thing except # 3 with respect to the hoghway driving....a 600 or a 750 will be more then fine on the highway...I think even a 500 would be ok. I have heard the the ex250 struggles a little.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Point noted.........
    I may have gone a little high on the displacement for highway riding in response to the original post. I was thing of my personal preference if I were to purchase a touring bike. By the way, I hear that if you put a faring on the ex250 it doesn't struggle any more on the highway.

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Originally posted by NHBusa
    Point noted.........
    I may have gone a little high on the displacement for highway riding in response to the original post. I was thing of my personal preference if I were to purchase a touring bike. By the way, I hear that if you put a faring on the ex250 it doesn't struggle any more on the highway.
    We're just spoiled with how the busa just purrs on the highway at 80mph with no effort. lol

Originally posted by busa413
    busa on the highway at 80mph lol

Now THAT"S funny!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Yep.. a small bike like an SV650 will not give you any trouble keeping up.

Yes... you can/will get left behind on straights. However there are few places on the east coast where anyone is going to leave you behind on a straight without a very serious risk of going to jail. If they just blast up to 130mph or something quick, as soon as they slow down, you will catch up in less than 1 minute. I remember this most obviously from last year down at Deal's Gap. One day we were in GA I belive on a real long straight. RevHappy took off >100mph, I was on my SV and Clayton was on his Ducati, and we didn't really have any trouble keeping the R1 in sight. As soon as he'd gotten his thrill we'd catch back up pretty quickly. It was more of how fast you were willing to go, as some of the other people in the group chose not to really crank on their bikes and fell further back. Yep, if Doug had chosen to really give it the beans for a long time he would have lost us on the straight, but again that would have been a pretty extreme risk to go 150+ or whatever it would have took to really lose us.

It's much easier to fall way behind in the twisties even when you don't have a horsepower deficit.

If you're going to ride a bunch consider the actual physical size of the bike too. Probably not a factor for your first bike, but a lot of the ultra small race reps are not going to be great for anyone over 6'. Getting something a few years older will help you with reduced horsepower (more beginner friendly) and probably give you more comfort too.

Of course if you are 5'7-5'9" go ahead and get a freakin tiny bike that weighs nothing and you'll be able to ride it all day long in comfort.

Ben

Originally posted by benSV

Of course if you are 5'7-5'9" go ahead and get a freakin tiny bike that weighs nothing and you'll be able to ride it all day long in comfort.
    watch it, boule.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.