Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

  1. #26
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    AS you don't appear averse to VAG, maybe a deal on a TT
    I like the TT a lot, I’d have to sit in one to know if its a realistic option. So far I’ve been doing some casual shopping and having trouble finding the options that I’m looking for in a first gen (225 Quattro, manual, under 100k, no rust, hard top), and I’m not sure I’ve seen a newer one with a stick that’s in my probable price range.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  2. #27
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    CRF450RL, and 06+ Civic SI, or wrangler.


    Or last gen GTO or G8 GXP.


    Or C5 or C6 Vette.

    Or Boxster.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

  3. #28
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Does this count as a sports car

    https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/wind...533230679.html

    I was looking for an M3 for you.

    I love looking for things for other people to spend their money on <3

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

  4. #29
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    I know you were a GTI owner, the gentleman’s sports car. So the SI is probably a little too boy racer. I’ve heard the shifter is one of the best in the biz.

    Embrace your inner rice, my dude.

    You have the 1200XE, we know you’re a gentleman.

    https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/plai...528342810.html

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

  5. #30
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Ugh, where’s Bergs.

    I had this exact car.

    Buy this and tune the hell out of it.

    https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/milf...531491775.html

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

  6. #31
    Lifer Gixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sandown, NH
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/belm...530489078.html

    I actually inquired about this a couple months back. Curious why they have last years foliage in the background.
    They said they were waiting months for Audi to fix something…

    And the dealer has horrid reviews….

    I think this thing is GORGEOUS, but can anyone say they feel comfy buying it? Especially from a sketch dealer?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

  7. #32
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    I'm gonna chime in because I have a 500 EXCf and my sister in law down the road has a 450L. In the past I had a ATK605DS. The ATK and the 450L are both dual sports. About as good off road as they are on. To me that means jack of all trades and master of none. I have ridden a few 450 dirt bikes and they are animals, the 450L seems so..... meh to me. Such a dual sport in the truest sense, and I mean that in a derogatory manner. This 450L is stock, so it could wake up if uncorked. The 500 was much better from the start, to me you can really feel how light and nimble it is.

    I have about $600 in power mods in mine to uncork it and like $300 in the correct springs, I also have DOT knobbies on it.

    I. Friggen. Love it. it is a street legal 450 dirt bike essentially. Light, nimble, power forever. I have taken it on 1 hour round trip rides on pavement and it is buzzy, but it is a 510cc thumper going 65 on pavement. I have never topped it out but I bet it will hit 90? I have also had it on motox tracks and done motogp races with it. I view most dual sports as 50/50 on/off road. The KTM is 90/10, maybe 95/5?

    The best way I can put it is that it isn't a 50/50 dual sport, it is a street legal dirt bike.

    you're more than welcome to try it if you're ever in Maine!

    As for the fun manual car? Corvette all day long

    https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto...521658946.html

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 09-13-22 at 06:36 AM.

  8. #33
    Lifer jimmycapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW CT
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    500 EXC if you want the ultimate go-anywhere (including single track) offroad dual sport. CRF450L if you want that, but a bit more road oriented and reliable. 690/701 if you want a heavier DS that will do roads much more comfortably than the former 2.


    I would get the 500

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #34
    Rust never sleeps. whynot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arlington MA
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    ...As for the fun manual car? Corvette all day long

    https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto...521658946.html
    That will fit in my garage n.p.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't believe everything you think.

  10. #35
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I'm gonna chime in because I have a 500 EXCf and my sister in law down the road has a 450L. In the past I had a ATK605DS. The ATK and the 450L are both dual sports. About as good off road as they are on. To me that means jack of all trades and master of none. I have ridden a few 450 dirt bikes and they are animals, the 450L seems so..... meh to me. Such a dual sport in the truest sense, and I mean that in a derogatory manner. This 450L is stock, so it could wake up if uncorked. The 500 was much better from the start, to me you can really feel how light and nimble it is.

    I have about $600 in power mods in mine to uncork it and like $300 in the correct springs, I also have DOT knobbies on it.

    I. Friggen. Love it. it is a street legal 450 dirt bike essentially. Light, nimble, power forever. I have taken it on 1 hour round trip rides on pavement and it is buzzy, but it is a 510cc thumper going 65 on pavement. I have never topped it out but I bet it will hit 90? I have also had it on motox tracks and done motogp races with it. I view most dual sports as 50/50 on/off road. The KTM is 90/10, maybe 95/5?

    The best way I can put it is that it isn't a 50/50 dual sport, it is a street legal dirt bike.

    you're more than welcome to try it if you're ever in Maine!

    As for the fun manual car? Corvette all day long

    https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto...521658946.html
    Thanks, really appreciate the perspective!

    I’m not so sure about a Corvette. I kind of like the looks and power, but have been been disappointed by almost every American car I’ve driven over the last 20 years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I'm gonna chime in because I have a 500 EXCf and my sister in law down the road has a 450L. In the past I had a ATK605DS. The ATK and the 450L are both dual sports. About as good off road as they are on. To me that means jack of all trades and master of none. I have ridden a few 450 dirt bikes and they are animals, the 450L seems so..... meh to me. Such a dual sport in the truest sense, and I mean that in a derogatory manner. This 450L is stock, so it could wake up if uncorked. The 500 was much better from the start, to me you can really feel how light and nimble it is.

    I have about $600 in power mods in mine to uncork it and like $300 in the correct springs, I also have DOT knobbies on it.

    I. Friggen. Love it. it is a street legal 450 dirt bike essentially. Light, nimble, power forever. I have taken it on 1 hour round trip rides on pavement and it is buzzy, but it is a 510cc thumper going 65 on pavement. I have never topped it out but I bet it will hit 90? I have also had it on motox tracks and done motogp races with it. I view most dual sports as 50/50 on/off road. The KTM is 90/10, maybe 95/5?

    The best way I can put it is that it isn't a 50/50 dual sport, it is a street legal dirt bike.

    you're more than welcome to try it if you're ever in Maine!

    As for the fun manual car? Corvette all day long

    https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto...521658946.html
    Thanks, really appreciate the perspective!

    I’m not so sure about a Corvette. I kind of like the looks and power, but have been been disappointed by almost every American car I’ve driven over the last 20 years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think I need to get test drives in some of these cars, I’ve only had direct experience with a few.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  11. #36

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    [I’m a noob]

    Yeah, if you want to “dirt bike ride” then the 500; 30 mins on back roads are doable on the 500 to Hodges; and while the 690 is far more comfortable on the pavement, the 500 is far more fun once you get there. 690 is 350lbs, has a longer rake, and doesn’t turn as well. Unicorn bikes don’t exist, and I believe that if you’re riding actual dirt trails (and not fire roads or 2 track); you should have the machine that’s as dirt capable as possible; with small mods to make it tolerable on the road.

    Platforms aside (the 500 is a clear winner here); I am more curious about what you have a passion to ride; how good of a dirt rider are you and what sort of riding history? Do you need the bike to excite you like crack? and how much dirt you realistically see yourself doing?

    If you’re just testing the waters, may only ride dirt once every 2-3 months, A DRZ may suit your needs entirely at 1/3 the price (WR if you want to save weight). The Japanese bikes will do it with far less maintenance. But If you need the bike to ride like an animal, you have the skills to tame the beast, you used to ride MX bikes, and sliding is your therapy, then the 500 is the way to go.

    I’ve also heard mixed things about the 450L in terms of it not being what a stereotypical Honda XR platform offers in terms of reliability. A lot of people ride them, but most of the people ride KTM or Husky instead; especially at the price point they’re at.


    If you can, just try riding the DRZ/450 (uncorked), 500, and the 690; then go from there…if you can’t, just get a 500 and don’t ride on 290

    [/noob]

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-13-22 at 01:29 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  12. #37
    Member Crconnor18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Woburn MA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    322

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    DRZ 400 & an SR II Viper?

    I even have a drz400s I’d sell you if you want!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #38
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    RI / CT border
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/belm...530489078.html

    I actually inquired about this a couple months back. Curious why they have last years foliage in the background.
    They said they were waiting months for Audi to fix something…

    And the dealer has horrid reviews….

    I think this thing is GORGEOUS, but can anyone say they feel comfy buying it? Especially from a sketch dealer?
    at 100K, if the timing chain hasn't been done yet..... $$$$$

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #39
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    DRZ 400 & an SR II Viper?

    I even have a drz400s I’d sell you if you want!
    Hm, how much? I’ve spent a decent amount of time on DRZs and am not totally opposed to them. I had previously been saving up to buy one, but now find myself in a position to spend more…. Have not had a chance to ride any of the other bikes on my wishlist. I really wanted to go to Dirt Daze last month to snag some test rides, but family obligations kept me away.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  15. #40
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    [I’m a noob]

    Yeah, if you want to “dirt bike ride” then the 500; 30 mins on back roads are doable on the 500 to Hodges; and while the 690 is far more comfortable on the pavement, the 500 is far more fun once you get there. 690 is 350lbs, has a longer rake, and doesn’t turn as well. Unicorn bikes don’t exist, and I believe that if you’re riding actual dirt trails (and not fire roads or 2 track); you should have the machine that’s as dirt capable as possible; with small mods to make it tolerable on the road.

    Platforms aside (the 500 is a clear winner here); I am more curious about what you have a passion to ride; how good of a dirt rider are you and what sort of riding history? Do you need the bike to excite you like crack? and how much dirt you realistically see yourself doing?

    If you’re just testing the waters, may only ride dirt once every 2-3 months, A DRZ may suit your needs entirely at 1/3 the price (WR if you want to save weight). The Japanese bikes will do it with far less maintenance. But If you need the bike to ride like an animal, you have the skills to tame the beast, you used to ride MX bikes, and sliding is your therapy, then the 500 is the way to go.

    I’ve also heard mixed things about the 450L in terms of it not being what a stereotypical Honda XR platform offers in terms of reliability. A lot of people ride them, but most of the people ride KTM or Husky instead; especially at the price point they’re at.


    If you can, just try riding the DRZ/450 (uncorked), 500, and the 690; then go from there…if you can’t, just get a 500 and don’t ride on 290

    [/noob]
    At one point I was 90% sure I wanted a 701 (or 690, but the 701 is prettier to me), but the more I think about it the more I want to get in to more serious off-roading. My Scrambler keeps me pretty happy on fire roads and double track. When I was set on the 690 platform I was also thinking I would need to sell the Scrambler and it would be my only bike, and that’s not the case anymore.

    My history: I rode around in the woods when I was a kid and did a little motocross when I was a teen. In my 20’s and early 30’s it was all street bikes, then I got a KTM 640 Enduro and had a good time with that on fire roads and some not-too-technical trails. Then fire roads and easy trails with the Scrambler. Ive ridden DRZs and enjoyed them, I’ve ridden KLX and CRF 250s and enjoyed them less. I would probably be happy enough with a DRZ, but I would also probably be asking myself why I didn’t spring for the best. A used DRZ would probably lose very little money if I decided to flip it, of course. I feel like I can get everything out of a DRZ, but kind of want something that will give me room to grow.

    As for how much dirt I realistically plan to do, I find myself going out of the way to find dirt even when I’m planning a street ride, basically every time. And that’s what’s really drawing me to a dual sport. So I think I’d be doing it weekly or biweekly, at least, during the riding season.

    In any case, I think I am leaning towards the 500 at this point, but still open to others.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  16. #41
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    Beta 390 + another GTI
    Tell me about Betas. Ive watched a bunch of YouTube reviews, but getting first hand info is great. The positives, as I see them:

    They look great
    They (apparently) come from the factory pretty uncorked
    It’s cool that they come with a Trailtech Voyager as the stock dash
    They’re cheaper than KTM and Husky while being as good or better dirt bikes

    Potential downsides:

    Maybe a little more aggressive than I want (actually, I guess the 390 is supposed to be pretty chill)
    Limited dealer network
    Limited aftermarket/parts availability
    Quality is a question mark for me, with the other brands I have a decent idea what to expect

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  17. #42

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Yeah, the 500 should fit the bill…beta makes a 490 (lower seat height, excellent bike, but limited dealer/servicing support), Husky makes a 501 (linkage suspension, a little less “harsh” compared to the EXC) but very close to what the 500 is so you can’t go wrong with either

    Keep the scrambler to cover the ADv and pavement duty and eve 500 for nearly pure dirt duty. The 690/701 can get close to scrambler duty

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

  18. #43
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Tell me about Betas. Ive watched a bunch of YouTube reviews, but getting first hand info is great. The positives, as I see them:

    They look great
    They (apparently) come from the factory pretty uncorked
    It’s cool that they come with a Trailtech Voyager as the stock dash
    They’re cheaper than KTM and Husky while being as good or better dirt bikes

    Potential downsides:

    Maybe a little more aggressive than I want (actually, I guess the 390 is supposed to be pretty chill)
    Limited dealer network
    Limited aftermarket/parts availability
    Quality is a question mark for me, with the other brands I have a decent idea what to expect
    will fill in some color when i have a bit more time ... i'm on my 3rd Beta and have loved all 3. not sure if you posted but how tall/heavy are you?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  19. #44
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    will fill in some color when i have a bit more time ... i'm on my 3rd Beta and have loved all 3. not sure if you posted but how tall/heavy are you?
    I’m 6’2”, 250-ish. Actively losing weight right now, but you never know how that’s going to go/last. I am assuming any bike I get will need some suspension work, at least to get the most out of it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  20. #45

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I’m 6’2”, 250-ish. Actively losing weight right now, but you never know how that’s going to go/last. I am assuming any bike I get will need some suspension work, at least to get the most out of it.
    Oh. Forget Miata and my suggestion of the Locost... That does change things a bit.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #46
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I’m 6’2”, 250-ish. Actively losing weight right now, but you never know how that’s going to go/last. I am assuming any bike I get will need some suspension work, at least to get the most out of it.
    The KTM is also a very large bike, which I like. the Betas are quite small, super nice bikes though.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #47
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I’m 6’2”, 250-ish. Actively losing weight right now, but you never know how that’s going to go/last. I am assuming any bike I get will need some suspension work, at least to get the most out of it.
    Ill be at Southwick Nov. 6 if you want to try a not stock 500 excf!

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #48
    I hardly know ‘er Spooler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    41
    Posts
    798

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    I may take you up on that if I havent pulled the trigger on anything yet. I’m really impressing myself with my restraint, not jumping directly into anything, lol.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

  24. #49
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,229

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I may take you up on that if I havent pulled the trigger on anything yet. I’m really impressing myself with my restraint, not jumping directly into anything, lol.
    Ill be in Rumney NH next saturday but I figure Southwick is closer to Worcester. Ill be at that NETRA family fun run the weekend before too.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #50
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,417

    Re: Help me choose a dirt-focused dual sport and cheap, fun car

    Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Tell me about Betas. Ive watched a bunch of YouTube reviews, but getting first hand info is great. The positives, as I see them:

    They look great
    They (apparently) come from the factory pretty uncorked
    It’s cool that they come with a Trailtech Voyager as the stock dash
    They’re cheaper than KTM and Husky while being as good or better dirt bikes

    Potential downsides:

    Maybe a little more aggressive than I want (actually, I guess the 390 is supposed to be pretty chill)
    Limited dealer network
    Limited aftermarket/parts availability
    Quality is a question mark for me, with the other brands I have a decent idea what to expect
    bah, i fell in a deep, deep hole with work. haven't had time to address these but the Beta's are smaller bikes, like xrocket points out. you would have to do some tweaking at your size to fit the chassis properly. (tall seat, bars, and peg edits)

    few coins for now on your potential cons:

    - dealer network - Dave in western MA through Monty's or Chuck in Oxford, MA will have anything you need pronto.
    - aftermarket is actually quite good and some parts from other makes fit, e.g. KTM pistons (not all models but i used one in my 250), KTM footpegs, for instance, but i've never had a problem acquiring great stuff.
    - out of the '13, '19, and '22 models i've had, i think the only thing that was an issue was a crimped ground on the '19. the harnesses have gotten better over time, but they can be a downside for some. it's hard to say how many bikes actually suffer from poor wiring though. there has also been some main bearing issues and fork anodizing issues but it seems to be hit or miss and was dealt with by Beta immediately. my '13 Sachs forks were trash but the '22s are KYB. the Sachs forks can be improved easily now though, there are a handful of kits to improve action, and i think the anodizing issues are rare these days (Kawi had a similar issue). keep in mind i've only had 2-strokes plus i delete oil injection and any extra wiring.

    all bikes can have issues, but one thing Beta stands out for is their customer service and responsiveness. extremely easy to talk with the US headquarters. the bikes also come with a 6 month warranty as well.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •