Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

need help finding a bike

Lifer

Re: need help finding a bike

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    I've been watching the SV market here for months and it's not uncommon to see a 99-02 SV fo $2k pop up on craigslist. I'm not sure how much better they will be than the one in Peabody, but you just have to be patient and consistent with searching.

Personally, I've been looking for a 04+ SV650s with less than 15k miles for $3500 and under. Every few months something fitting that description pops up, but they go quickly, so you have to be on the ball searching every day (or using a search agent on your phone). Back in January, someone even cross-posted a great candidate on NESR from another forum (FS: Not mine: 2007 SV650S - Hobrook, MA - $3,300) and I had missed when it was posted, searched NESR, and found it couple weeks later. Not sure if that bike is still for sale because the seller has not returned any of my emails or phone calls over the past month.

Check the SVRider Forum Classifieds too. They have posts from all over the country, but there are some New England ones every now and then. Using a tool to comb craigslist like Search Tempest might help too.
    I have an '04 SV with less than 2k miles on it, I'd let go for $3500.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    CHEAP! http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3613609352.html

Might try this one but something tells me the guy is dreaming... http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3656569746.html
    thanks for the links, that first one is deff dreaming. one of the worst bikes to do prolonged wheelies on and i bet he wonders why the engine is shot. i sent that second one an email cuz i'm not sure what the deal with his phone number is, but like you, i think he prob thinks he has a 4k bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I have an '04 SV with less than 2k miles on it, I'd let go for $3500.
    Not bad, considering the miles. Against my better judgement though, I'm looking for an S model (preferably blue, silver, or red) since it's going to be dual duty on the street and some track days. I've ridden the N and the S before and although I like the position and leverage afforded by the handlebars, the half-fairing with clip-ons might be more suited for my purposes. Thanks though, and if I change to look for an N, I'll def pm you.

little over your budget but he already dropped the price $500...only thing is he doesn't list the exact mileage (somewhere between 14k and 20k miles)...something to keep an eye on...
    http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/3647405003.html

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    little over your budget but he already dropped the price $500...only thing is he doesn't list the exact mileage (somewhere between 14k and 20k miles)...something to keep an eye on...
    http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/3647405003.html
    Nice looking SV, but I'd be cautiously thorough when checking it out.. I've seen it on craigslist since this past fall. Granted, at a higher price, but still makes you wonder why this hasn't moved yet.

OP, have you checked out any of the salvage bike resellers? Argo Cycles (Raymond, NH) comes to mind. They usually have some SVs int he $2k range. Some of their listed prices tend to be higher considering they probably need some work, but I've heard they're willing to negotiate.

It has a stripped oil drain bolt hole.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    It has a stripped oil drain bolt hole.
    Nothing some duct tape and bubble gum won't fix .

Lifer

Argo Cycles (Raymond, NH) comes to mind. They usually have some SVs int he $2k range. Some of their listed prices tend to be higher considering they probably need some work, but I've heard they're willing to negotiate.
    I have looked at Argo occasionally and NEVER seen anything worth the money. They seem to charge almost reasonable CL rates for (sometimes heavily) damaged bikes. What gives? Am I just not looking at the right times? Am I misunderstanding what they sell (salvage bikes)? I don't get it.

I have a gen-2 (fuel-injected) 2004 SV650S that I'm thinking of selling. Previous owner laid it down so it has some cosmetic issues, but under 10k miles and will pass inspection with flying colors. At $2k I'd rather keep it and track it someday, but I'd probably let it go for under $3k. PM me (or email feralchimp@gmail) if you'd like pics, etc. Clean MA title, located in Somerville, new front fender and fork seals.

Last edited by feralchimp; 03-11-13 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added location and more condition info

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have looked at Argo occasionally and NEVER seen anything worth the money. They seem to charge almost reasonable CL rates for (sometimes heavily) damaged bikes. What gives? Am I just not looking at the right times? Am I misunderstanding what they sell (salvage bikes)? I don't get it.
    Yea, i went through their website and the prices seem to be what craigslist prices should be except their bikes need work and are salvage titles.

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I have a gen-2 (fuel-injected) 2004 SV650S that I'm thinking of selling. Previous owner laid it down so it has some cosmetic issues, but under 10k miles and will pass inspection with flying colors. At $2k I'd rather keep it and track it someday, but I'd probably let it go for under $3k. PM me (or email feralchimp@gmail) if you'd like pics, etc. Clean MA title, located in Somerville, new front fender and fork seals.
    i appreciate the offer. for right now i would really like stay close to 2k, but might be exactly what curiouser is looking for.

FYI in the later years there was also an SF model with the lower fairing. It cost $500 more, but most owners don't seem to realize the difference. Probably worth it for a track bike.

I bought this 07 SV650SF with 1,400 miles on it for $4,200 in 2010 for $4,200 from a guy who hurt his knee, and sold it with 4,500 miles on it in 2012 for $4,050 - because I hurt my knee...

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

living in the city? motard.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    living in the city? motard.
    out of my price range from what i can find. plus want i would prefer something more sporty for track riding. while motards look fun on the street i dont have much of a desire to track them.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

motards rule at NHMS just so you know.
    DRZs are pretty bulletproof, but youre right, people tend to want too much for them. and even though they are a little gutless and not big on top end speed, they are fun at the track.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    motards rule at NHMS just so you know.
    DRZs are pretty bulletproof, but youre right, people tend to want too much for them. and even though they are a little gutless and not big on top end speed, they are fun at the track.
    i bet they are a blast at the track, just the leg out thing isnt really my style. but than again i've never ridden one so what do i know.

Leg out?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

expert bike, novice thinking there Chip.... I Like it

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Lifer

Man, that looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Man, that looks like fun.
    www.bostonmoto.com
    Please and thank you.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Not on your list, but Katanas are good entry level bikes... http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3676197698.html

This one has had the motor replace. Depending on your point of view that could be good or bad... http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3675756826.html

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Not on your list, but Katanas are good entry level bikes... http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3676197698.html

This one has had the motor replace. Depending on your point of view that could be good or bad... http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3675756826.html
    thanks for the leads. the katana is really a last resort, not a fan at all plus i just really want naked so i dont have to deal with fairings. I have really considered a naked GS500, they are all over the place.

I don't see any currently on the local craigslist sites, but a Hawk GT might be worth looking into as well. I see clean looking examples around $2500 now and then. Older bike, but they seem to have a devoted following, some of whom are on NESR.

Superhawks are frequently on CL for below $3k. Higher miles, but might be worth checking out:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3655793816.html
    http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3626960804.html
    http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3668625540.html

I don't see any currently on the local craigslist sites, but a Hawk GT might be worth looking into as well. I see clean looking examples around $2500 now and then. Older bike, but they seem to have a devoted following, some of whom are on NESR.

Superhawks are frequently on CL for below $3k. Higher miles, but might be worth checking out:
    http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3655793816.html
    http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3626960804.html
    http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3668625540.html
    THanks for the links, not sure how i missed those.

as far as the hawk gt's i would love one. however it seems like they are popular and thus over priced many times. not to mention hard to find.

Is it a pain to buy an out of state bike and transfer it to MA?

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    /as far as the hawk gt's i would love one. however it seems like they are popular and thus over priced many times. not to mention hard to find.
    So - what are you studying?

If the bike is titled in another state, no problem. If salvage title, you need all the receipts and will have to have it inspected before a new salvage title is reissued.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-13-13 at 06:21 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast