Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

need help finding a bike

Re: need help finding a bike

Alright everyone. i am struggling to decide. as of right now i have two possible future bikes that i may be purchasing tomorrow evening. what are your opinions on them, what would you chose and why?

1998 VTR1000F in real good condition.
    http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3668625540.html

or a 2001 SV650 that is pretty stock except for a slip on:
    http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3681332355.html

the superhawk can be be had for 200 more than the SV and insurance is about the same.

worried about the hawk on the track(although I'm not sure how soon i will even be able to get there) and worried about the SV not being as much fun on the street coming from a buell XB and CBR600RR.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sv. As comparible to the xb on the street in terms of style of power delivery, can be set up as a competent track steed for way less money/time/aggrivation than a super hawk.

Throw the thing on a dyno and get it breathing right and forget about it. After, of course, the necessary suspension work.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The SV is perfect for the streets. I never feel like I'm lacking power on the street. I generally prefer riding the SV over my streetfighter.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

I have a superhawk and I have ridden the SV. I picked up a slightly beat up 1998 SH for $1600 end of last summer and probably spent about $200 to make it decent. The SH is a very different bike than an SV. The SV is lighter and the gearing is not as tall. The SV's have sold much more than the SH and get about 10mpg better fuel economy. The SH have a cult following and a nice forum on line, so they demand used prices that are too high in my opinion (like your link!). Wait a little and you should be able to find an SV to your liking - there are generally many less SH's for sale than SV's

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

SV is newer, cheaper, fuel-injected... I'd go for the SV as well. Actually, I think that SV is a no-brainer.

I'd be interested to hear how effective that clear screen is. I had something like that (a National Cycle screen) on my last bike and hated it. It was a POS.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-15-13 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    SV is newer, cheaper, fuel-injected... I'd go for the SV as well. Actually, I think that SV is a no-brainer.

I'd be interested to hear how effective that clear screen is. I had something like that (a National Cycle screen) on my last bike and hated it. It was a POS.
    The SV is actually carbed. if it was an 03 and fuel injected it would be a no brainer for me too. but since they are both carbed, the power of the hawk is tempting.

sounds like the SV is the favorite.

if you guys come accross any leads today post em up please.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I have a superhawk and I have ridden the SV. I picked up a slightly beat up 1998 SH for $1600 end of last summer and probably spent about $200 to make it decent. The SH is a very different bike than an SV. The SV is lighter and the gearing is not as tall. The SV's have sold much more than the SH and get about 10mpg better fuel economy. The SH have a cult following and a nice forum on line, so they demand used prices that are too high in my opinion (like your link!). Wait a little and you should be able to find an SV to your liking - there are generally many less SH's for sale than SV's
    thanks for the info. the prices in the ads arent close to the what we have agreed upon thankfully, but they aren't 1600 for the hawk either.

Last edited by warsaw1776; 03-15-13 at 07:22 AM.

Lifer

Deeerrr.. You are right. I forget that the early SV's were carb'ed. The DL650 (which I have) was FI'ed from day 1... but then it's day 1 wasn't until the SV had been around for a while.

I still like the SV.

Well the SV sold before i was able to get to it. bummed.

My experience with craigslist & motorcycles was pounceworthy. There are plenty of people that think they know what they want and unless the bike was utter trash or incredibly overpriced, they go quick.

Lifer

My experience is the same.

Good luck.

I like the Superhawks, but I think it'll take more work than SV650 to get it track ready. It is however quite good for the street, including 2-up(other than missing grab bars). Once you ride a liter v-twin there's nothing like it.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Well I went ahead and picked up a superhawk. 15k miles, jetted, dual slip ons, double bubble. Pretty stoked. The little test drive I did was very fun.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    Well I went ahead and picked up a superhawk. 15k miles, jetted, dual slip ons, double bubble. Pretty stoked. The little test drive I did was very fun.
    Congrats on the new bike. I am sure you'll love it. If its mostly street riding a torquey 1000 is much easier to cruise with than a lower hp bike that you have to shift.(your bike should be highway capable in 1st)

Congrats! Hope you have good luck with it. Did you pick up the one in Taunton?

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    ^ Just came in to post that 650R.

Couple more I happened across:

2000 R6 - $2800 - /

2008 Kawi ZZR600 - $3000/
    But the OP set a budget of $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Not sure if kidding, a couple days late, or both.

Lifer

Budgets? Those are made to be broken. Amirite?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I thought so too. Actually out of all the bikes people posted here I would have gone with the ZZR600. I think that's my fav body style of Ninjas.

But I think the OP will be really happy with the SuperHawk!

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I thought so too. Actually out of all the bikes people posted here I would have gone with the ZZR600. I think that's my fav body style of Ninjas.

But I think the OP will be really happy with the SuperHawk!
    I really liked the ZZR600 as well and would have loved it. but i checked insurance and it was retarded high. I paid 250 a year with 250 deductibles for comp and collison in california for my 05 CBR600RR. they wanted over a grand for worse coverage. no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Budgets? Those are made to be broken. Amirite?
    I didnt pay close to 3000 for the hawk. i set my budget for 2k hoping to stay under it but giving myself some wiggle room to go over it. i think the price i paid was very fair, not a smoking deal for me, but i think i got the better end of it.

its going to be a fun bike and i hope i can make it out to a track day or two while i'm out here, that one in NY looks like a blast. bike just needs some tires and maybe a front fork overhaul. any wanna help?

btw, does anyone have a spare set of glove lying around that i can either buy for cheap or barrow. just realized i forgot mine in San Diego. I'm going back in late April, which is when i will get my 1 piece, but wanna ride the bike in the mean time.

I really liked the ZZR600 as well and would have loved it. but i checked insurance and it was retarded high. I paid 250 a year with 250 deductibles for comp and collison in california for my 05 CBR600RR. they wanted over a grand for worse coverage. no thanks.
    Did you try different companies? That is wayyy high. The zzr isn't worth much and isn't a sportbike so insurance should be low.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Did you try different companies? That is wayyy high. The zzr isn't worth much and isn't a sportbike so insurance should be low.
    i did, they were all about the same. i have a spotless record too. it seemed like any full fairing bike, the price shot up to 600-1000. the hawk is 300/yr with full coverage.

I pay about $450 full coverage(upped coverage too) on my '02 RC51. Kinda clean record. No recent tickets that shows up in MA but I have a ticket in NH from last year. I have Commerce. Progressive quoted me over $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I pay about $450 full coverage(upped coverage too) on my '02 RC51. Kinda clean record. No recent tickets that shows up in MA but I have a ticket in NH from last year. I have Commerce. Progressive quoted me over $1200.
    didnt try that company. i'm not too worried anyways, the zzr is a cool bike but i doubt i would have talked him down to what i paid for the hawk and i wanted a naked/semi naked bike anyways which is what i got. plus its on the same insurance as our car so that's nice.

Lifer

Congrats! Now, join http://www.superhawkforum.com/ which is an excellent forum. Make sure the CCT's and R/R have been replaced. What glove size are you? That would help...

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Congrats! Now, join http://www.superhawkforum.com/ which is an excellent forum. Make sure the CCT's and R/R have been replaced. What glove size are you? That would help...
    I wear XL or possibly L. Already a member there but haven't participated at all yet.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast