Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

need help finding a bike

Re: need help finding a bike

Revisiting this.....getting my check from insurance and am looking at getting a bike. so again, looking at the 2k-2.5k range, if anyone see something in the naked to semi naked category.

also, what are the opinions on the mid 90s-early 00s monsters? particularly the 620 and 750. thanks guys

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The 620's are toilets. 750's and 900's are where the fun is.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

If you want to kick it up a few hundred there's a GORGEOUS TL1000S on craigslist (Joe's Sportbikes) that was just dropped to $2999. Wish I had the available cash right now to scoop it up.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcd/3751483124.html

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The 620IE will whoop on the old 750 carb and 900 carb'd Monsters. On the aircooled Ducs, the FI motors breathe MUCH better than the old carb units.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The 620IE will whoop on the old 750 carb and 900 carb'd Monsters. On the aircooled Ducs, the FI motors breathe MUCH better than the old carb units.
    I must of not raced against an IE then, cause that thing was a boat anchor on the front stretch compared to my EX500.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I must of not raced against an IE then, cause that thing was a boat anchor on the front stretch compared to my EX500.
    A 620SS in stock form should be putting 60hp to the ground. EX500 that hasn't been monkeyed with should drop 50hp on the same dyno. I'm seeing 390lb dry weight for the 2nd gen EX, 400lbs dry for the 620. So, geared properly, the 620 should have about the same advantage in a drag race over the EX500 that the EX had over my GS. If you're referring to the 620 I'm thinking of, I had that one on the dyno and it wasn't down on power. I do know the owner was having a hard time finding gearing he liked for it.

No idea how they compare weight wise in PTwins race trim.

Edit: For reference, the 750 was doing good to see 50hp on the dyno... choked up seriously by undersized valves, the M900 inherited the same heads and as a result had great low end torque but nothing on top.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    If you want to kick it up a few hundred there's a GORGEOUS TL1000S on craigslist (Joe's Sportbikes) that was just dropped to $2999. Wish I had the available cash right now to scoop it up.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcd/3751483124.html

that is very tempting but more than i want to spend unfortunately

all go info everyone. how is reliability? i remember hearing that the air cooled ducatis arent too bad reliability wise or maintenance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    all go info everyone. how is reliability? i remember hearing that the air cooled ducatis arent too bad reliability wise or maintenance wise.
    Belts every two years or 12000 mi, check the valves every 12000mi, change the oil regularly and you should be fine on a FI unit.

You really should try to negotiate that TL1000S, they're nice bikes. Just finished building a '97 myself, but sold it already.

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

Lifer

Some of the 01's burn oil. Known issue, the factory fucked up the ring seats on the pistons, or some such. Do your homework.. or just feed it oil.

Lifer

What are you thinking of going for this time? I also have a monster and it is a blast (which is why I am thinking of selling my SH), but I think the good ones fetch more than $2500.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I had a m750, (fi) and it was a total dud. One of the most lifeless motorcycles I've ever ridden.
    It was my first real streetbike, so I didn't really know any better.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I had a m750, (fi) and it was a total dud. One of the most lifeless motorcycles I've ever ridden.
    It was my first real streetbike, so I didn't really know any better.
    that's kinda disappointing to hear, but maybe i will test drive it and disagree. who knows. the biggest thing that is scarring me awy though is the 5 speed transmision. i hated the 5 speed on my buell.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmass View Post
    never really liked the bandits at all, hate to be picky because it seems like a pretty decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    What are you thinking of going for this time? I also have a monster and it is a blast (which is why I am thinking of selling my SH), but I think the good ones fetch more than $2500.
    pretty much same criteria as the first time around. just with added money for security measures. that is true about prices of monsters, but i am holding out hope to find a good deal out there.

also been keeping my eye open for hawk gt's, sv650, triumph speed triple and Daytona's(the older ones), maybe a tl1000s(not holding my breath although the one posted above looks great, almost too good), still wouldn't mind a super hawk but want all the issues worked out first which is hard to find, and possibly a Honda 599 or 919 if i can find a deal. z1000's still remain retarded high in price even though they dont sell for months and months on Craigslist. i am sure there are others i just cant think of them now.

Lifer

I have an acquaintance that picked up a barely used Monster 696 recently for very little dough. He says it is pretty fun.

If looking at Hawk GTs and SV650s while not kicking Kawi off the radar, why not add the Ninja 650 to the list? And if willing to go for a nekid SV, maybe a Versys as well. The Versys is more sport and less goofy than the V-Strom and they tend to show up cheap-ish on CL.

If you don't like 5-speeds, you won't like the Bandit at all. IIRC it had a 5 speed until they switched over to the water cooled 1250. ... That said, I never noticed. The 1200 has so much torque you can skip gears and still move pretty fast.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-10-13 at 06:08 AM.

$2500 is tough. The newer monsters are ok on power if you can shift em really short and deal with a dry clutch. They are very comfy. The older ones in you price range a gs500 or sv650 would be a better bike in just about every way. Speed triple/daytona 955 is almost in ur range and a great bike, but they are built for taller guys(34" seat height).

Y not try a 4 cylinder? Yamaha FZ would fit the bill and have seen both fz6 and fz1 in the $3000 range for sale. Fz8 is more rare(newer?)

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

Yes, 2000-2500 is tough this time of the year. I think your best bet is a generation 1 SV650.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    $2500 is tough. The newer monsters are ok on power if you can shift em really short and deal with a dry clutch. They are very comfy. The older ones in you price range a gs500 or sv650 would be a better bike in just about every way. Speed triple/daytona 955 is almost in ur range and a great bike, but they are built for taller guys(34" seat height).

Y not try a 4 cylinder? Yamaha FZ would fit the bill and have seen both fz6 and fz1 in the $3000 range for sale. Fz8 is more rare(newer?)
    not a huge fan of the FZ's, but not opposed either. deffinetely not opposed to I4, i loved my CBR, but it seems like, decent priced, older bikes, that still have a little style are mostly V-2.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Yes, 2000-2500 is tough this time of the year. I think your best bet is a generation 1 SV650.
    It sure is, but i'm not too worried, dont want to spend much more only to have it stolen again. that TL1000s looks great, and i could prob swing the price without much of an issue, but that is a nice, shinny, red sport bike again. hoping that a naked, in addition to security measure will fend off the criminals.

those look good but they are a three hour drive is the only issue.

found one that seems perfect i just dont know how i am going to get it home. any suggestions on how i can make it mine? its two hours away.
    http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/3800187070.html

if it was California, i could cruise out there and just drive it home but this whole mass, keep your plate, makes that not possible. dont have a truck or trailer and i dont want to make two trips.

Get a bunch of guys and lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Get a bunch of guys and lift it.
    Steal it? ummmm, no thanks.

I have the cash no problem, it is getting the bike back to Boston that is the issue.

Lifer

I think he meant post purchase. Lift it into a van or truck.. legally 'n stuff.
    You can rent a van or trailer from u-haul. Buy or build a ramp, or get some friends.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think he meant post purchase. Lift it into a van or truck.. legally 'n stuff.
    You can rent a van or trailer from u-haul. Buy or build a ramp, or get some friends.
    good suggestion unfortunately renting a truck from uhaul is end up being well over 200 bucks so i might as well wait and grab something more local and spend a few bucks more. renting from a normal car rental place (i.e. enterprise) looks to be about the same too. oh well.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast