Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

need help finding a bike

Lifer

Re: need help finding a bike

Yep, that's the dilemma. Although even with a local sale, you still have to transport or make trips.

You could ride it home with a different plate, or no plate, or beg to borrow the plate from the PO, or any of a hundred other legally questionable moves.
    I hear some rent the truck from Home Despot. But I bet that gets spendy fast too unless it is really local. And I imagine it is a PITA to load into those tall trucks.
    Myself, I borrow a trailer from family. If I didn't have a trailer to borrow, I'd have bought one by now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A trailer from uhaul can be had for about 20.

Any friends with a hitch?

If you give up that easy, you'll never get a bike. Man up and find a way. A dismissive mentality gets you nowhere.

That SV looks ideal for what you want.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yep, that's the dilemma. Although even with a local sale, you still have to transport or make trips.

You could ride it home with a different plate, or no plate, or beg to borrow the plate from the PO, or any of a hundred other legally questionable moves.
    I hear some rent the truck from Home Despot. But I bet that gets spendy fast too unless it is really local. And I imagine it is a PITA to load into those tall trucks.
    Myself, I borrow a trailer from family. If I didn't have a trailer to borrow, I'd have bought one by now.
    True but at least locally, I'm not paying nearly as much in gas or the mileage fee. plus two trips is way more doable.

is it really all that legally questionable to use the previous plate and just mail it back? serious question, i just dont get what the big deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    A trailer from uhaul can be had for about 20.

Any friends with a hitch?
    true, and it might just be worth it to buy a hitch for my car, especially if i want to get a track day or two in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If you give up that easy, you'll never get a bike. Man up and find a way. A dismissive mentality gets you nowhere.

That SV looks ideal for what you want.
    hahaha, you're right you're right. its a challenge but doable i suppose. the biggest issue is i dont want to buy a hitch, rent a trailer, drive out there and it turns out the bike is in real crappy shape and have to turn around empty handed.

Anyone out in Cummington willing it check it out for me?

Last edited by warsaw1776; 05-12-13 at 11:45 AM.

Find a minivan with removable seats. I got my SV1000S in our old Mazda with a 2x8 for a ramp.

Edit: Double what TheIglu said.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    is it really all that legally questionable to use the previous plate and just mail it back? serious question, i just dont get what the big deal is.
    Random guy you don't know shows up to by your $2500 bike, hands you a wad of cash and wants to drive it to who knows where with plates and registration in your name. You down with that?

As to the details of the legality.. I have no idea. I'm sure someone somewhere in the state administration would tell you the PO's registration becomes null and void as soon as you two sign that bill of sale.

Also, don't you need the plates in MA to cancel the registration.

Just get rent a fuggin' trailer man.

true, and it might just be worth it to buy a hitch for my car, especially if i want to get a track day or two in.
    Last year I rode in and rode out to my first ever track day. I'm about 1 hour from NHMS.

I'll probably never do that again. This year I have the trailer ready to roll.

Random guy you don't know shows up to by your $2500 bike, hands you a wad of cash and wants to drive it to who knows where with plates and registration in your name. You down with that?

As to the details of the legality.. I have no idea. I'm sure someone somewhere in the state administration would tell you the PO's registration becomes null and void as soon as you two sign that bill of sale.

Also, don't you need the plates in MA to cancel the registration.

Just get rent a fuggin' trailer man.

Last year I rode in and rode out to my first ever track day. I'm about 1 hour from NHMS.

I'll probably never do that again. This year I have the trailer ready to roll.
    i would have no problem riding away on a bike with someone elses plate as long as i have my own insurance. as a seller, yes, i might object.

i'll never ride to a track day, too many horror stories. we towed my cbr behind my wifes honda fit for track days.
    i get the rent a trailer or car comments however none of that solves the problem of it being a pile when i finally get out there. but i am for sure considering it. theres a couple local options i am thinking about as well.

Lifer

...the problem of it being a pile when i finally get out there.
    Part of the game. Part of the adventure. Part of the fun.. or something like that.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-12-13 at 07:02 PM.

i believe you have 7 days to registure the bike have you bill of sale with you when riding home and should not be a problem. have a buddy drive you down and follow you back.

also mostlikely at the end of the season my bike (see the avatar) will be going up for sale so if you haven't found something by then. (honestly i hope you have found what you are looking for before then).

Part of the game. Part of the adventure. Part of the fun.. or something like that.
    That would make life easier. Could anyone confirm this? I am going to try and call the RMV but it's a busy day.

Pretty close to picking up a 97 monster 750 but also slightly considering a 98 vfr800. Any thoughts? I know the VFR is full fairings but still considering it. Curious about maintenance and reliability mostly. Thanks for all the help everyone. That sv650 already sold unfortunately.

Lifer

98 VFR? So that's the EFI 800 with the gear driven cams. Sweet, sweet bike, IMO. Dooo want.

Lifer

I have a Monster and a VFR. The 750 is a slug compared to my 696. I'd definitely go for the VFR. R/R is the only thing needs replacing on the VFR

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Still want a super chicken?
    http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3808170473.html

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Thanks for the link! i'll check it out.

Lifer

Too much asking $$$

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Too much asking $$$
    agreed, that one has been up for a while too if its the same one i am thinking about. i doubt i can get him down to something reasonable.

"Wheelie Machine!!!"
    Uhhh, who puts that in the ad??

Dunno if you would be interested but I still have my 95 zx6r that I need to sell. Its got some scratches one one side and will need some maintenance but I was planning on asking 1800 or best offer. It has a hand full of fun parts on it two if your thinking of tracking it. Almost new fox twin clicker in the rear, full muzzy exhaust, jet kit, Vance and Hines power pak. Its a fun bike and pretty comfy, I just don't gave room for 2 bikes.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Lifer

Is this thread still going on? You've had like 20 bikes presented exactly what you asked for and you're sitting on the fence and making excuses for all of them.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Is this thread still going on? You've had like 20 bikes presented exactly what you asked for and you're sitting on the fence and making excuses for all of them.
    Yeah, but he's gotta wash his hair tonight, so he can't go get the bike. Tough life.

With this attitude, he couldn't find a dick in a gay bar.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

The guy bought a bike. Some ass-hats stole it. He's now back in the market.

OP: Ignore the chatter. Good luck with the search.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yeah, but he's gotta wash his hair tonight, so he can't go get the bike. Tough life.

With this attitude, he couldn't find a dick in a gay bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Thanks for the helpful post. Just barely got a check two weeks ago from the first bike i bought being stolen. excuse me for not wanting to overpay for a bike.

The guy bought a bike. Some ass-hats stole it. He's now back in the market.

OP: Ignore the chatter. Good luck with the search.
    thanks, got a couple prospects but i am either too slow or people are changing there minds.

between my wife and i we have one vehicle, i work 9-7 and she works 9-5 some weekdays and most weekends. so it can be difficult to drive three hours to pick up a bike. trying to be patient though.

Lifer

If you find something in my area and need someone go to kick the tires and make sure the photos aren't 4 years old or something, lemme know. No promises, but if I can help, I will.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast