Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! GEtting MA ORV sticker when bike is already street legal/registered

Help! GEtting MA ORV sticker when bike is already street legal/registered

I seem to have entered the Twilight Zone of bureaucracy. Apparently the title and registration for my KLX 250 isn't enough to prove I paid sales tax for the environmental police to issue an ORV sticker. They insist I need a Form ST6E, but that form doesn't seem to apply to someone who already paid sales tax, only for someone trying for an exception. I'm lost...the guy from the Dept of Revenue is stumped, too. Anyone know what I can do?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Help! GEtting MA ORV sticker when bike is already street legal/registered

Go to a different ORV registry. Works with the RMV, if you get someone that won't help you, try another one and hope for better luck. It's worked for me.

I didn't think you needed the orv if your bike is street registered already. I thought that was only required for off road bikes.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Nope. As soon as you leave the road, you need the ORV sticker. Privat property included!

Paul_E_D

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Does any of the paperwork you might have from when you purchased/initially registered the bike indicate that you paid the sales tax?

Any chance you bought it from a dealership that might have a copy of the paperwork available?

As others have said, another person would be a good option too. If you have a MA reg you had to have paid your sales tax and they should be aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nope. As soon as you leave the road, you need the ORV sticker. Privat property included!
    Maine finally clarified the law and got this one right. Street reg means no need for a duplicate dirt reg. Individual land owners CAN require a dirt reg for trails on their property but I haven't heard of any asking for it yet.

I should say that the cheif DEM cop told me I was good with a plate only at my riding area, so I think there may be some varying interpretaions

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Maine finally clarified the law and got this one right. Street reg means no need for a duplicate dirt reg. Individual land owners CAN require a dirt reg for trails on their property but I haven't heard of any asking for it yet.
    Is that true for out-of-state registration as well?

Nope, 'cause dirt regs aren't reciprocal.

I wish more states would adopt the simple method that NH uses. That and offer some nice legal riding areas like NH does.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't forget that the only reason why NH is simple is because there are no taxes involved (unless that's the point you were trying to make).

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    I seem to have entered the Twilight Zone of bureaucracy. Apparently the title and registration for my KLX 250 isn't enough to prove I paid sales tax for the environmental police to issue an ORV sticker. They insist I need a Form ST6E, but that form doesn't seem to apply to someone who already paid sales tax, only for someone trying for an exception. I'm lost...the guy from the Dept of Revenue is stumped, too. Anyone know what I can do?
    did you try completing the form online? ST-6 is the "Certificate of Payment of Sales or Use Tax for Boat, Recreation or Snow Vehicle". that's how i did mine then brought the forms in.

First Time Registration of a Boat, Off-Highway Vehicle or Snowmobile

https://mtc.dor.state.ma.us/mtc/_/#2

Beta 200RR

When I registered my dirt bikes, I paid the sales tax online and printed a receipt and brought it to the rmv in Springfield where there office is.

I would think you just bring your registration in to the Springfield dmv and you'll be all set.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    When I registered my dirt bikes, I paid the sales tax online and printed a receipt and brought it to the rmv in Springfield where there office is.

I would think you just bring your registration in to the Springfield dmv and you'll be all set.
    Well you're wrong.
    The people who issue the orv stickers, for whatever ungodly reason will not look at your street reg, and see (on the first issuance of the reg, subsequent years don't have them printed on the reg) that your sales tax has been paid, and give you a sticker. You MUST get the slip from the DOR. The DOR is smart enough to know that you had to pay sales tax by law to get a street reg to begin with and will issue you the 3 color paper, green, pink, and yellow if I remember correctly.
    You can then take that paper back to the dcr and get your orv registration stickers.
    Luckily both offices are across the hall from one another in Fall River mass. I have no idea where they might be in Springfield.
    It is stupid.
    It is redundant.
    It is one of 2 reasons one should ever travel to Fall River. (The other is a pretty great mom and pop music shop, coincidentally within 500' of said offices above)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

*hijack* there's a cool new guitar shop in Northampton...

Paul_E_D

Lifer

In Springfield, MA, the DOR Office is/was 1 block away (last time I was there was 10 years ago). The whole things is stupid. I am in the same boat as the OP. I have to get an ORV reg for my street registered bike - and I am dreading the experience. I bought my bike new, so hopefully I can find some kind of tax payment receipt in the original paperwork.

Your street reg will suffice for the DOR.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

just looked up what i did for the Beta... my previous post was related to one of my Huskys...

Ken, Form ST-6E (Exemption) is what was completed for my Beta by the DOR who is across the hall from the DCR in Worcester. i brought my purchase contract and title from the dealer which listed tax paid in MA, DOR worker then filled out a multi-colored ST-6E for me, brought that back to DCR and got my stickers... exactly as Chip outlined.

they also need to look up the dealer to confirm they are legit. i had a little trouble there because Knights in Southbridge is really a used car dealer who happens to sell new Betas (odd).

hope you get it sorted... this reminds me i need to renew.

Last edited by typeone; 02-24-16 at 09:42 AM.
    Beta 200RR

The two offices are in the same building in Springfield too.

Oh, and Paul, that place reminds me of Blue Note guitar that used to be next to the Iron horse.

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    *hijack* there's a cool new guitar shop in Northampton...
    I spoke to them a couple weeks ago about consigning an Ibanez Musician I want to sell

Can you get a ORV sticker in MA with a bill of Sale?

I want to sell a YZ125 and he states as a MA resident he needs a title to get the ORV reg done??? this true

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Can you get a ORV sticker in MA with a bill of Sale?

I want to sell a YZ125 and he states as a MA resident he needs a title to get the ORV reg done??? this true

Thanks
    Bill of sale and proof of tax which he pays and prints online. It's rare to get a title with a used dirtbike unless it's on/off road.

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Bill of sale and proof of tax which he pays and prints online. It's rare to get a title with a used dirtbike unless it's on/off road.
    As I thought also................. and mind you he own's like 4-5 dirt bikes WTF

I was put in contact with Senate President Stan Rosenberg's office and the issue is being looked at at the highest level. They agree that this makes no sense and are taking steps to fix this. Stay tuned.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

NICE................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast