Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help with a headlight install idea

Short bus rider

Help with a headlight install idea

Help with Headlight Track/Street install
    I need some help/advice. I have a 13Daytona with a set of race glass. I want to add a headlight for early morning dark daytime ridding. I work in Boston and don't like to pay $20 a day 6 days a week to park. I have all the stock plastics with lights but it's a PITA swapping.
    I can park for free with a bike but it's a spot that is going to ding, scratch, and damage good bodywork. So... I'm thinking of either cutting out the nose and fitting a light/lights in the nose, last resort or just fitting something on the surface of the nose.
    I want it to be functional and easy to remove for the track. I have been doing searching but have not been able to find anything worth borrowing ideas from. I don't want to spend a ton of money for a setup. I will be riding to and from work I leave early and need a light for morning traffic and to be legal. I was thinking of adding some LED lights installed where the mirror mounts are and using bar mirrors. Or I could just ditch the body work and install street triple light setup but remember I'm trying to do it on the cheap.
    Does anyone know where I can see some setups that have been done?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Help with a headlight install idea

I'd strip the bodywork and use a cheap generic street fighter style light. Something like this: Access Denied

Looks like some of them are even down to $20 or so. I'm sure they suck, but would probably get the job done.

Last edited by RyanNicholson; 04-21-17 at 10:02 AM.

Those do suck. if you get one of those street fighter units, at least get one with a H4 type bulb. I put one of these on my old F4 and it still sucked, but not nearly as much as some of the other ones that just use cheapo 5w bulbs. Access Denied

On the Track Day Junkies Facebook group, somebody asked about this a month or two ago. A few guys were using a driving light attached to a GoPro mount, so it's easily removable for track days.

High maintenance priss

Don't folks sometimes drill a circular hole in a track fairing and run an inexpensive projector housing? Could just as soon leave it installed for TDs (unplugged, maybe lens taped).

Lots of threads on this. One example (not suggesting it's the best, just one of the first hits): BARF

I bought an extra upper Sharkskins fairing, and had a body shop cut out a hole for a headlight. They cut and threaded 3 aluminum posts, and glued them in place on the fairing. It was easy to swap back and forth, and the factory wiring still worked because I was still using the factory headlight. I only have 1 shitty pic.

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I bought an extra upper Sharkskins fairing, and had a body shop cut out a hole for a headlight. They cut and threaded 3 aluminum posts, and glued them in place on the fairing. It was easy to swap back and forth, and the factory wiring still worked because I was still using the factory headlight. I only have 1 shitty pic.

It took me five minutes to figure out what I was looking at. Did you use the OEM headlight but cut in half? Still have the bike?

Haha. Yeah, that pic is upside down. I don't have the bike anymore. It's an Apriia RSVR, it had two headlights from the factory, but I only used one of them in this fairing.