Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Help me organize my garage

Re: Help me organize my garage

Bit the bullet and bought proper things for garage and shed. Very happy so far

Etsy purchases. American small business made. Feels good to support them

Metal weedwacker holders for shed got a similar one for the blower as well

Help me organize my garage-il_794xn-583205495_f1an-jpg
    Help me organize my garage-il_794xn-583205503_7p7v-jpg
    Help me organize my garage-il_794xn-657886166_khe1-jpg

And the big purchase for the drills. Had the cut out PCV hanging off a janky shelf and I just got tired of it

Very happy this had a cutout for the sawzall and the circular saw. Plus fits my 1/2in impact without an issue too.

Help me organize my garage-il_794xn-1645674778_ohz4-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Here is mine actually before I paint it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 09-12-22 at 11:36 AM.

I'm not sure what your go to tools are but you can build a wooden "holster" rack for your batt op stuff. Slide right in upside down with a shelf for spare batteries and chargers, those are game changers.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I'm not sure what your go to tools are but you can build a wooden "holster" rack for your batt op stuff. Slide right in upside down with a shelf for spare batteries and chargers, those are game changers.
    That's exactly what I bought, except I don't like the upside down orientation, so all of mine go right side up.

Between the cost of hardwood and the labor and time, with time being very limited nowadays I decided to buy a well made finished product that works on the first go and I'm happy with.

In the meantime I'm painting metal hand me down cabinets to put up in garage as the price of those is pretty damn silly.

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I just finished running air lines through my garage and workshop. I found a nice spot to tuck the air compressor next to an outlet and completely out of the way. Just above it, I installed a filter and oil reservoir for the lines. From there it runs through the garage where I installed two connection points. One is connected to a retracting reel with 50 feet of hose, the other is open for any other needs I might have. The line continues into my basement/workshop where I have two more connection points and another 25 foot reel.

When I need air I simply grab the hose from the reel, drag it to where I need it, and I'm good to go. When I'm done, I give the hose a tug and walk it back to the reel. It's a big step from having to drag the compressor and air line out to where I need it, then pack it all up when done. That may not sound like much but it was becoming a pain in the ass.

I used one of those Rapid Air kits they sell on Amazon. It needed some extra parts to get the layout I wanted but overall it worked out really well. Super easy to install. The lines are mounted along the ceiling and I needed a way to keep the flexible lines from coiling so I used PVC.

I'm finding I use air a lot more now that's it's so accessible.

Last edited by BSR6; 09-12-22 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I just finished running air lines through my garage and workshop. I found a nice spot to tuck the air compressor next to an outlet and completely out of the way. Just above it, I installed a filter and oil reservoir for the lines. From there it runs through the garage where I installed two connection points. One is connected to a retracting reel with 50 feet of hose, the other is open for any other needs I might have. The line continues into my basement/workshop where I have two more connection points and another 25 foot reel.

When I need air I simply grab the hose from the reel, drag it to where I need it, and I'm good to go. When I'm done, I give the hose a tug and walk it back to the reel. It's a big step from having to drag the compressor and air line out to where I need it, then pack it all up when done. That may not sound like much but it was becoming a pain in the ass.

I used one of those Rapid Air kits they sell on Amazon. It needed some extra parts to get the layout I wanted but overall it worked out really well. Super easy to install. The lines are mounted along the ceiling and I needed a way to keep the flexible lines from coiling so I used PVC.

I'm finding I use air a lot more now that's it's so accessible.
    I've been borrowing a friends compressor for about a year now. Only things I find myself doing with it is blowing air at prefilters to clean them out and blowing dirt out of driveway cracks before sealing.

I've debated whether I want one of my own and if I do I could definitely do with something smaller. I don't have sanding or painting needs. Otherwise 18v for everything else.

which way are you supposed to store a weed wacker?...motor up or trimmer head up?...i always store motor up cause i don't want any fuel to leak out but i have seen a lot of people that store them trimmer head up

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I've been borrowing a friends compressor for about a year now. Only things I find myself doing with it is blowing air at prefilters to clean them out and blowing dirt out of driveway cracks before sealing.

I've debated whether I want one of my own and if I do I could definitely do with something smaller. I don't have sanding or painting needs. Otherwise 18v for everything else.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I run 18V for everything, but I also take on a lot of woodworking projects where I use nail guns. The catch is my woodworking projects are sporadic with months in between so everything I have is portable (no permanent shop). The routine has always been to set up the compressor and lines with each project, and take it down when I was done. In the meantime there were always tasks I could use air on that weren't worth setting up for. Now that I have it, I'm realizing there's a LOT more I could use it for. It's been just over a week and I've used it almost daily for all kinds of random things.

The cost was pretty small. The kit was $100 and I spent another 50$ for some extras that I needed to make it work the way I wanted it to (extra fittings, pvc etc.). If your needs aren't super high then a small pancake compressor for $100 would work surprisingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I run 18V for everything, but I also take on a lot of woodworking projects where I use nail guns. The catch is my woodworking projects are sporadic with months in between so everything I have is portable (no permanent shop). The routine has always been to set up the compressor and lines with each project, and take it down when I was done. In the meantime there were always tasks I could use air on that weren't worth setting up for. Now that I have it, I'm realizing there's a LOT more I could use it for. It's been just over a week and I've used it almost daily for all kinds of random things.

The cost was pretty small. The kit was $100 and I spent another 50$ for some extras that I needed to make it work the way I wanted it to (extra fittings, pvc etc.). If your needs aren't super high then a small pancake compressor for $100 would work surprisingly well.
    Thats exactly what I've been thinking. Something smaller/portable likely a pancake type for me. I have a small single car garage, so I can't afford to sacrifice real estate that the compressor takes up. Unlimited real estate? Sure why not though.

I like your setup and I agree that ease of use encourages use. I've got one of them twirl lines sort of like old telephone cords that curl up and expand with ease and it makes using it much more friendly and easy in the same principle you describe. Pancake should work for occasional nail gun use too in my case.

Pictures of your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Thats exactly what I've been thinking. Something smaller/portable likely a pancake type for me. I have a small single car garage, so I can't afford to sacrifice real estate that the compressor takes up. Unlimited real estate? Sure why not though.

I like your setup and I agree that ease of use encourages use. I've got one of them twirl lines sort of like old telephone cords that curl up and expand with ease and it makes using it much more friendly and easy in the same principle you describe. Pancake should work for occasional nail gun use too in my case.

Pictures of your setup?
    FYI on the islands up here we use pancakes exclusively out on winni. Yeah they run a lot but I've built boat houses with those things.

FYI on the islands up here we use pancakes exclusively out on winni. Yeah they run a lot but I've built boat houses with those things.
    running them on a generator much of the time ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    running them on a generator much of the time ?
    Only on a few occasions, only island I had to do work on sans power was camp island. When I did run off the generator it sucked balls because you had to wait for the compressor to spool up, listen for a chop saw, table saw etc. So if I had to make a rip I'd just wait until I heard the blow off valve and send it, but that's why island work is 3x the money.

Eta as in a 3 or 4 man crew if that wasn't obvious

Only on a few occasions, only island I had to do work on sans power was camp island. When I did run off the generator it sucked balls because you had to wait for the compressor to spool up, listen for a chop saw, table saw etc. So if I had to make a rip I'd just wait until I heard the blow off valve and send it, but that's why island work is 3x the money.

Eta as in a 3 or 4 man crew if that wasn't obvious
    I know all about island work, either digging a test pit by hand, or barging a backhoe, my most recent island work was on Barndoor, west side of island, they had a breakwater, but still took some skill to dock. We drove out a couple times in the winter, that's when they did the construction, adding a 2nd floor, they never had to put in the septic, it was "only in event of failure of the existing system"

years ago, I worked on a subdivision on Cow Island, we barged a backhoe for that one and he got a flat tire on the island. I worked on Bear Island once too

at least 3x

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I have a crew coming this Monday to epoxy my garage floors, and I've hit a bit of a snag. I was removing some old cabinets -- literally kitchen cabinets from the 1970s -- and it turns out that the previous owner glued these cinder blocks (cinder tiles?) to the garage floor:

Help me organize my garage-img_5038-jpg

I asked the owner's adult son, who lives next door, and he remembers they glued them but doesn't remember how. Fair enough, it was 20 years ago. Is there any way I can get these off without creating a huge mess? I really want the blocks gone because I want to epoxy underneath them, and I don't plan on putting cabinets where these guys sit.

My #1 fear is that I try to pry the blocks loose with a huge pry bar, but the blocks end up breaking and leaving bits of rubble literally glued to the concrete floor. That seems like a nightmare to deal with if my goal is to have a smooth epoxy floor. Any suggestions? Or should I just have them epoxy over the top of the blocks?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I have a crew coming this Monday to epoxy my garage floors, and I've hit a bit of a snag. I was removing some old cabinets -- literally kitchen cabinets from the 1970s -- and it turns out that the previous owner glued these cinder blocks (cinder tiles?) to the garage floor:

Help me organize my garage-img_5038-jpg

I asked the owner's adult son, who lives next door, and he remembers they glued them but doesn't remember how. Fair enough, it was 20 years ago. Is there any way I can get these off without creating a huge mess? I really want the blocks gone because I want to epoxy underneath them, and I don't plan on putting cabinets where these guys sit.

My #1 fear is that I try to pry the blocks loose with a huge pry bar, but the blocks end up breaking and leaving bits of rubble literally glued to the concrete floor. That seems like a nightmare to deal with if my goal is to have a smooth epoxy floor. Any suggestions? Or should I just have them epoxy over the top of the blocks?
    Break the blocks out, chisel any stuck on chunks, solvent and scrape any residue? Leaving them in place doesn’t seem like a good option but thats possibly my OCD talking. I love the look of epoxy floors!!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Break the blocks out, chisel any stuck on chunks, solvent and scrape any residue? Leaving them in place doesn’t seem like a good option but thats possibly my OCD talking. I love the look of epoxy floors!!
    I was thinking grinder to smooth it off

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Get the tiles off, hand grinder with a PCD wheel. It will take the adhesive right off.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    If it was glue and not epoxy, use a heat gun.

Thanks guys. I'm more worried about getting the tiles off at all than I am with cleaning the floor that's left under it..

Using a heat gun against a 2" thick concrete paver is probably not gonna work

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm more worried about getting the tiles off at all than I am with cleaning the floor that's left under it..

Using a heat gun against a 2" thick concrete paver is probably not gonna work
    it will if the glue is old and shit. you could also try a mapp gas torch.

chisel and a hammer at the seam may break them free...could try to hit them with a sledge hammer on the side to shock them loose

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

these are also handy for burning off sticky crud. best not to breathe in

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Oh my bad. I thought you meant using the heatgun through the paver to heat up what's underneath.. but you mean using a heat gun to clean up the residue that's left over.

Can anyone recommend a good junk removal service? I have about 10 concrete pavers to get rid of, as well as a bunch of scrap wood that came from demolishing two old kitchen cabinets. It would fit in the back of a regular pick-up. I'm in Waltham...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast