Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Quick release system for wheel chocks

Everybody to the limit!

So I bought a pair of wheel chocks off ebay for use in my trailer. They need to be bolted down with three bolts and I'd like to come up with a quick release system so that they can be easily removed when not in use.

Trailer floor is standard plywood, I'm guessing probably 3/4". My first thought would be a set of T-nuts, the kind that are used to make speaker boxes. Basically nuts with "fangs" that bite into wood and hold them in place. I figure I could drill holes in the plywood and then install them from below, then buy a few bolts with knobs or wingnuts on the head that could be removed without the use of tools.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here or is there a better solution? My only concern about the T-nuts is whether they're intended to support attaching and removing often without eventually backing out or chewing up the wood.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

big dzus quarter turns. There are litterly hundreds of sizes and varieties.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

High maintenance priss

You're right about standard T-nuts possibly tearing out. One option would be to sandwich a plywood board underneath after installing the T-nuts. It would keep 'em from falling out, but the nuts could eventually spin. Easy enough to replace though, and fairly cheap solution.

Other similar option is to use some nuts welded to flat bar in the arrangement you need. Then attach the flatbar under the decking. A little more work, but would be stronger and more reliable than T-nuts.

I would use standard head bolts from the top - use a wrench. I would think the chock should be rigidly fixed. A winged-head bolt may not cut it.

I can think of more elaborate and fancy means like recessed slots or keyholed inserts w/ engagements welded to the bottom of the chock). More $$ and probably overkill.

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Keep it simple big D.
    Don't spend 10 hours trying to save 20 seconds of time. How often will you be installing/removing them? Once each race weekend? If you were doing it daily, that's one thing. I am assuming you'll be doing it a couple of times a month. (??)

Drill three holes in the plywood.
    Get some bolts, nuts, and washers.
    Weld or epoxy the bolts to the wheel chock.
    To install, set the wheel chock in the holes.
    Reach under the trailer and install the washers and nuts.

It's fairly quick, easy, cheap, and most importantly sturdy, without the risk of some "trick" setup malfunctioning and dumping your bike.

Just my cheap (and sometimes worthless) advice.