Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help me pick my first bike

Question Help me pick my first bike

Okay... I need some liter-bike suggestions!

Just kidding

Actually I'd like a sport (or sportish) bike that would be okay for a beginner. Either due to my inexperience or, perhaps, the reality of things, the Ninja 250 is the 'only' bike that fit the bill. The next step up are the 500's (or 600/650)... but I'm not sure whether that would be a good choice or not. Maybe I'll have a better idea of what I want after I go through the MSF course, but I'm just doing some initial research. I just figured the 250's are a good place to start since that's what I'll be learning on anyway.

I found this Ninja on CL, but considering that new ones are MSRP @ $3,000, I'm sure I can find a better price.

Considering I've never been on a bike and I'm a newb, I'm open to your ideas, thoughts and suggestions (so long as they pertain to my first bike ).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If 250cc is the way you want to go, the little Ninja is the only one worth considering.

They are a fun littel bike.

Also, think of your size. Are you a big guy? then don't get a 250 for your first bike. Proper sizing for the person has a big effect on a bike's handling.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

hayabusa

Originally posted by LiononaLeash
    If 250cc is the way you want to go, the little Ninja is the only one worth considering.

They are a fun littel bike.

Also, think of your size. Are you a big guy? then don't get a 250 for your first bike. Proper sizing for the person has a big effect on a bike's handling.
    First reply gets a beer.

I'm 5'9", somewhere between 150 and 160lbs

I don't know if 250 is "the way" I want to go. I figure since the MSF courses are run on 250's, then they must be a good place to start. Should I consider 500? (There doesn't seem to be many choices here either, since most are 600/650, and I think at that point, they're out of a beginner's league...)

Originally posted by roso
    hayabusa
    Like this?:

^ Bet I could get that one for cheap!

I guess if my aim was to be a squid, the Hayabusa would be a great place to start...

ZX-14...........with NOS!

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

I wouldn't say a bigger bike is out of your league. It depends on you and your discipline/maturity and budget.

You are definitely small enough for the Ninja 250.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Honestly, starting in the 500 to 600 class is a good way to go

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Originally posted by capt1014
    ZX-14...........with NOS!

Gee, you guys are such a helpful bunch.

(And I'm super busy at work, as you can see...)

I think most could handle a 500 twin

or

dual purpose if your not into fashion

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Hey, first off, congrats on making the right choice going with a small bike. I don't care what anyone says, or how many people started with them and are ok, 600's are NOT a good first bike.

I had a Ninja 250, and I think the big difference between that and a 500 is really going to be on the freeway. On the freeway, the 500 will be a tad smoother due to the added weight, and will have better passing power on the upper end. A Ninja 500 should be fine for a first bike: they're still forgiving, and aren't going to allow you to accidentally power wheelie the bike.

What I noticed about the 250, was around town, it's quick enough. On the highway, yes it'll hit 100mph, but accelleration from 60mph or so up is kind of lacking. However, it's technically safer to brake out of a situation instead of accellerating out, so that shouldn't be a problem, it's still capable for the highway.

Another bike to consider is the Suzuki GS500, a comparable bike to the Ninja 500.

Either way you go, a 250 or 500, you're going to really enjoy the bikes, they're very fun and can hang in the corners with the bigger bikes.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

(And I'm super busy at work, as you can see...) aren't we all

'09 r1 white & red

not much in that category in new bikes

however there are some used bikes to consider

Honda CB1 (400cc)
    Honda VTR250
    Honda Hawk650

you might also look at the SV650
    and new Ninja650

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

At your size, start on a GS or EX 500. Even a sport tourer like the VFR, less dangerous power, and more manageable. Both good if you're looking to go to an all out supersport later. Don't start on a 600 supersport.

Don't mind the wise asses either, they're new to the board, apparently they think because they financed a supersport and have two months riding experience they're above your legitamate question.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Originally posted by slaps76
    ... I had a Ninja 250, and I think the big difference between that and a 500 is really going to be on the freeway... What I noticed about the 250, was around town, it's quick enough. On the highway, yes it'll hit 100mph, but accelleration from 60mph or so up is kind of lacking...
    My primary aim of the bike is to get around town and have some fun. To me, it sounds like twisties are the way to have fun - not straight line driving. Not much highway riding (maybe I'll change my tune once I start riding).

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Originally posted by slaps76
    Hey, first off, congrats on making the right choice going with a small bike. I don't care what anyone says, or how many people started with them and are ok, 600's are NOT a good first bike.

I had a Ninja 250, and I think the big difference between that and a 500 is really going to be on the freeway. On the freeway, the 500 will be a tad smoother due to the added weight, and will have better passing power on the upper end. A Ninja 500 should be fine for a first bike: they're still forgiving, and aren't going to allow you to accidentally power wheelie the bike.

What I noticed about the 250, was around town, it's quick enough. On the highway, yes it'll hit 100mph, but accelleration from 60mph or so up is kind of lacking. However, it's technically safer to brake out of a situation instead of accellerating out, so that shouldn't be a problem, it's still capable for the highway.

Another bike to consider is the Suzuki GS500, a comparable bike to the Ninja 500.

Either way you go, a 250 or 500, you're going to really enjoy the bikes, they're very fun and can hang in the corners with the bigger bikes.
    +1 to everything. I just sold my 2003 Ninja 250 to another newbie. I bought a 500. The 250 lacks of acceleration power big time compared to any other bikes, but it is very safe, very forgiving and very fun to ride in the twisties. Now that I have my 500, I'm so happy, Iget a big grin on my face each time I ride it. It's faster, the power is very noticeable (for me anyway) and it accelerate much faster, which is awsome. It is also very forgiving. So either way....you can't go wrong. Since you're a guy, I'd go with the 500 tho...lol 250's look like girlie bikes...LOL

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

I chose a 500 for my first bike. My "Coach" and brother-in-law is an extremely experienced rider, former racer who now fills in as an instructor at some of the Loudon track days. We hemmed and hawed over the 250/500 debate and it came down to a 500 offering a bit more fun for a longer period of time - i.e. after a few thousand miles I wasn't frothing at the mouth for something larger. It is a fun bike, pretty much everywhere and you can take it to the track and have a blast.

I chose the EX500 (Ninja) becuase they are a dime a dozen, easy to fix, and run forever. They are also WAY cheap to find. I started on a 91 purchased for $1250 and then dropped it a bunch, sold it for $1500 and bought a 1992 with less miles and better condition for $1000. You can buy a newer one, of course, but if you're ultimately going to step up to a 600/650 in a few years (as most people do), then why not buy something cheap and spend the rest of your saved up cash on really good riding gear?

GO TO TONY'S TRACK DAYS!
    I'm Bikeless.

Look at my thread go! Now I'm definately not doing work at work... although I do enjoy being paid to surf forums. However, I guess my boss wins, because he surfs the Ferrari forums (and, owns one)... anyway.

Don't mind the wise asses either, they're new to the board, apparently they think because they financed a supersport and have two months riding experience they're above your legitamate question.
    Eh, I've been on enough forums to not mind this phenom. I ask about beginner bikes not only for myself but for future newbs who might need the same advice.

Since you're a guy, I'd go with the 500 tho...lol 250's look like girlie bikes...LOL
    Well... I have been labeled a metrosexual before (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean), so maybe the 250 is just what the doctor ordered.

why not buy something cheap and spend the rest of your saved up cash on really good riding gear?
    That will be my next post: "Help me pick my first riding gear."

That looks like Ben Toothlessburger's bike!!!!!!!!

Oh and I agree with what most others have already said. Pick up a cheap EX500 and spend the money on some gear. Then in a year or two buy a new bike and convert the 500 to a track machine.

Originally posted by hqp921
    Like this?:

^ Bet I could get that one for cheap!

I guess if my aim was to be a squid, the Hayabusa would be a great place to start...

Hmmm...

other than the FS section here and classifieds, where are some good sites to find used bikes?

Lifer

When I first started I wanted a sportbike REAL bad and no matter what anyone said I couldn't have gotten myself to got a dual-sport, etc..

I started on an SV650, many people have said it's OK, I still maintain it was bad. At the time IMO they were a little twitchy at the bottom of the powerband. While they are not considered powerful by experienced riders they are way powerful compared to cars and they make power everywhere... there is no soft spot in the powerband to hang out in as a beginner.

If I could do it over again I'd be all over the dual-sport. They are cheap even new, they survive crashes well, they are excellent and fun on twisty roads, and they allow you to go offroad, unlike a sportbike. Not many places near me where I could ride one but since they are street legal you could ride them a long way to get to some trails.

Dual-sports are cool via the supermoto scene right now so I think they look great for beginner bikes right now.

The 250 is great and fun but it is small, think about the ex500 if they still make that. Also, the Ninja 650 just got a great review from SR.

I learned on a 250, and so did my fiance (reiobard on here). I think it was the perfect bike for me to learn on, as it gave me a good idea of how to ride as well as what I did/didn't want in my second bike. I used it to commute quite a bit (I worked an hour away from home at the time, and it got 80+ mpg), and I decided i did not like how it felt at speeds higher than 60. If I were to do it again, I probably would have gone with either a GS500 or Ninja EX500. Those would get my vote for you.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Ooops, forgot to add - I now have an SV650. If I had to learn on this bike, I probably would have gotten out of riding. I am 5'6" witha 31" inseam. Even with my relatively long legs, I had to soften the suspension to keep from tipping over (and tip over, I have). As a beginner, you will want as much foot on the ground as you can tolerate, and the Ninjas will do that for you.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I would look in to a gsf500 or an sv650 naked because if you drop it you will not be so mad.

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast