Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help me pick my first bike

Originally posted by ancosta
    A couple of questions for you - what is your budget, how self restrained are you, what do you think your level of focus and commitment is to learning to ride, and are you willing to own maybe more than one bike in the next 2-3 years of riding?
    I'm still determining the budget portion (I want to see what's out there and available), but I made a similar calculation like you did - actually on the higher side - to be safe. I figured around $5k at the very least.

Does your question of self restraint refer to me being a jackass on the street? Or in regards to purchasing (i.e. what you need vs. what you want)? I believe I'm self restrained on both accounts.

I also believe I am focused and committed to learning to ride. I've never taken anything I do lightly, especially things of major consequence. So if it costs around (by your estimate) $3600 to start this endeavor, you better bet I did/am doing the research to make sure it's exactly what I want to do.

(I used 'I believe' rather than 'I am,' because it's my self-belief that I fit the criterion, it's perfectly plausible that someone might come along and say that I am not self-restrained or focused. I hope that made some sort of sense...)

$200 Odds and ends ...nipple clamps...
    SIGN ME UP!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Originally posted by chr|s sedition
    Actully, I do also. Either new riders come to NESR and never post (lurk) their real basic noob-type questons, or they just *never* come here as a starting point.

*shrugs*

-sedition
    Well - I figured the question would be asked on an almost daily basis once the riding season comes around. So I used the handy dandy 'search' function and didn't really find what I was looking for. (Although I did find a link to your article.)

Isn't the whole idea to start safe? So that it doesn't end badly? Maybe I'm just a rare type of person that actually likes to know what I'm getting into?

If you think you are going to be committed, then I have a somewhat unorthodox idea - take the MSF course, then try and ride a bike in the 500-600cc range. If you feel you are borderline in the class, then hold off and start smaller.

The idea here is that if you can get around OK on say a SV650, older I4 sport bike or I4 standard, you can get yourself something that you can really grow into.

Also I think that the key is a bike that is very predictable and linear. For example 600 supersport that has no low end and lots of high end power may not be the best pick. Sure the SV is a 'powerful' first bike but its also very linear. You don't need to bury the revs to get around, and it's very timid when you treat it as such.

I'd consider a GS500 or SV650 as well as EX500

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

I've been doing a lot of surfing around and looking just to get a feel for prices.

Every now and then I run across the old VFR's or just other old bikes in general that are really cheap.

So how old is too old when it comes to bikes? I know the Ninja has been relatively unchanged since it's inception, but I feel like I shouldn't get something from the late 80's. I'm thinking mid-90s and up is a safe bet.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I found my '97 900RR on craigslist Boston.

As for a good first bike, I'd suggest an older Hawk GT. (if you can find one) I had an '88 Hawk GT 650 and it was a really nice ride. Not overly fast, but really solid. And the swingarm got a lot of attention, being one of the first production bikes to have the single-sided swingarm.

I also had a '90 CBR600F. (The last of the Hurricane series, without the emblems, since it was the insurance companies that made Honda remove that from the bikes in '89.) That was a sweet bike. I'm sure a eginner with the right maturity level, could find that to be a great first bike as well.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Originally posted by 97BladeRider
    I also had a '90 CBR600F. (The last of the Hurricane series, without the emblems, since it was the insurance companies that made Honda remove that from the bikes in '89.) That was a sweet bike. I'm sure a eginner with the right maturity level, could find that to be a great first bike as well.
    '90 CBR600F was my first bike also, in white and silver. I think it was one of the best beginner bikes around, but even back then people were saying that a 600 as a starter bike was nuts and were pushing the Ninja 250/EX500.

I don't think you can go wrong with an EX500. I am not sure you can go wrong with an SV650 either, but I defer to the other forum members who have tried to learn on them.

The CBR600F was actually my 3rd bike. To date, I've owned:

1981 Suzuki GS450L
    1988 Honda Hawt GT 650
    1990 Honday CBR600F
    1993 Suzuki GSX-R750W (the first liquid-cooled gixxer 750, what a heavy machine that was)

10 years off . . . then . . .

1997 CBR900RR

hqp, you might see me tooling around on the streets of Blackstone on occasion.

|

Originally posted by 97BladeRider

hqp, you might see me tooling around on the streets of Blackstone on occasion.
    I drive a black&tan Subaru Impreza Wagon, you might see me tooling around on the streets of Blackstone on occasion!

So I'm thinking mid-90's and above EX500 or GS500 is the way to go for me... maybe even a lowly (Ninja) 250.

Originally posted by slaps76
    Hey, first off, congrats on making the right choice going with a small bike. I don't care what anyone says, or how many people started with them and are ok, 600's are NOT a good first bike.

I had a Ninja 250, and I think the big difference between that and a 500 is really going to be on the freeway. On the freeway, the 500 will be a tad smoother due to the added weight, and will have better passing power on the upper end. A Ninja 500 should be fine for a first bike: they're still forgiving, and aren't going to allow you to accidentally power wheelie the bike.

What I noticed about the 250, was around town, it's quick enough. On the highway, yes it'll hit 100mph, but accelleration from 60mph or so up is kind of lacking. However, it's technically safer to brake out of a situation instead of accellerating out, so that shouldn't be a problem, it's still capable for the highway.

Another bike to consider is the Suzuki GS500, a comparable bike to the Ninja 500.

Either way you go, a 250 or 500, you're going to really enjoy the bikes, they're very fun and can hang in the corners with the bigger bikes.
    +1

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by Hoss
    All kidding aside it's nice to see someone looking for a good starting bike. I've met way too many people with liter bikes as a first bike.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by chr|s sedition
    first of, welcome.

oddly enough, NESR does not see much of your question asked on a regular basis. However, it pops up over and over again on other web site. so much so that I wrote a standard response (see below). Much of the information it is going to be repeated from what has already been said, but something in hear might help you out a bit.

-sedition

One of the most common questions new sport bike riders have is, “What kind of bike should I get?” This question is asked so often that I created a standardized response. Please keep in mind that these are the views and opinions of one person (albeit countless other also hold them) With that said, on we go…

Getting ANY modern 600cc sport bike for a first ride is a bad idea (far, far, far worse is a 1000cc) In fact, it may be nothing more than an expensive form of suicide. Here are a few reasons why.

1. Knowledge of Subject Matter
    When anyone starts something new they find themselves at the most basic point of the “beginner’s mind”. This is to say that they are at the very start of the learning curve. They are not even aware of what it is that they don't know. A personal example of this is when I began Shotokan Karate. The first day of class I had no idea what an “inside-block” was, let alone how to do it with correct form, power, and consistency. After some time, and a lot of practice, I could only then realize how bad my form really was. Then, and only then, was I able to begin the process of improving it. I had to become knowledgeable that inside-blocks even existed before I was aware that I couldn’t do them correctly. I had to learn what the correct elements of inside-block were, before I realized that I did not have those elements. After I learned, I was then able to aspire towards the proper elements. This example is to illustrate the point that it takes knowledge OF something in order to understand how that something works, functions, performs, etc. Now lets return to the world of motorcycles. A beginner has NO motorcycle experience. They are not even aware of the power, mistakes, handling, shifting, turning dynamics etc. of any bike, let alone a high performance sport bike. Not only do they lack the SKILL of how to ride a motorcycle, they also lack the knowledge of WHAT skills they need to learn. Acquiring those skills comes only with experience and learning from your mistakes. As one moves through the learning curve they begin to amass new information…they also make mistakes. A ton of them.

2. The Learning Curve
    While learning to do something, your first efforts are often sloppy and full of mistakes. Without mistakes the learning process is impossible. A mistake on a sport bike can be fatal. The things new riders need to learn above all is smooth throttle control, proper speed, and how to lean going into turns. A 600cc bike can reach 60mph in about 3 to 5 seconds. A simple beginners mishap with that much power and torque can cost you your life (or a few limbs) before you even knew what happened. Grab a handful of throttle going into a turn and you may end up crossing that little yellow line on the road into on-coming traffic…**shudder**. Bikes that are more forgiving of mistakes are far safer (not to mention, more fun) to learn on.
    Ask yourself this question; in which manner would you rather learn to walk on a circus high-wire (1) with a 4x4 board that is 2 feet off the ground (2) with a wire that is 20 feet off the ground? Most sensible people would choose (1). The reason why is obvious. Unfortunately safety concerns with a first motorcycle aren’t as apparent as they are in the example above. However, the wrong choice of what equipment to learn on can be just as deadly, regardless of how safe, careful, and level-headed you intend to be.

3. “But I Will be Safe, Responsible, and Level-Headed While Learning".
    Sorry, but this line of reasoning doesn’t cut it. To be safe you also need SKILL (throttle control, speed, leaning, etc). Skill comes ONLY with experience. To gain experience you must ride in real traffic, with real cars, and real dangers. Before that experience is developed, you are best suited with a bike that won’t severely punish you for minor mistakes. A cutting edge race bike is not one of these bikes.
    Imagine someone saying, "I want to learn to juggle, but I’m going to start by learning with chainsaws. But don’t worry. I intend to go slow, be careful, stay level-headed, and respect the power of the chainsaws while I’m learning". Like the high-wire example, the proper route here isn’t hard to see. Be “careful” all you want, go as “slow” as you want, be as “cautious” as you want, be as “respectful” as you want…your still juggling chainsaws! The “level-headed” thing to do in this situation is NOT to start with chainsaws. Without a foundation in place of HOW to juggle there is only a small level of safety you can aspire towards. Plain and simple, it’s just better to learn juggling with tennis balls than it with chainsaws. The same holds true for learning to ride a motorcycle. Start with a solid foundation in the basics, and then move up. Many people say that “maturity” will help you be safe with motorcycles. They are correct. However, maturity has NOTHING to do with learning to ride a motorcycle. Maturity is what you SHOULD use when deciding what kind of bike to buy so that you may learn to ride a motorcycle safely.

4. “I Don’t Want a Bike I’ll Outgrow”
    Please. Did your Momma put you in size 9 shoes at age 2? Get with the program. It is far better to maximize the performance of a smaller motorcycle and get “bored" with it than it is to mess-up your really fast bike (not mention messing yourself up) and not being able to ride at all. Power is nothing without control.

5. “I Don’t Want to Waste Money on a Bike I’ll Only Have for a Short Period of Time” (i.e. cost)
    Smaller, used bikes have and retain good resale value. This is because other sane people will want them as learner bikes. You’ll prolly be able to sell a used learner bike for as much as you paid for it. If you can't afford to upgrade in a year or two, then you definitely can't afford to wreck the bike your dreaming about. At the very least, most new riders drop bikes going under 20MPH, when the bike is at its most unstable periods. If you drop your brand new bike, fresh off the showroom floor, while your learning (and you will), you've just broken a directional, perhaps a brake or clutch lever, cracked / scrapped the fairings ($300.00 each to replace), messed-up the engine casing, messed-up the bar ends, etc. It's better and cheaper to drop a used bike that you don’t care about than one you just spent $8,500 on. Fortunately, most of these types of accidents do not result in serious physical injury. It’s usually just a big dent in your pride and…

6. EGO.
    Worried about looking like chump on a smaller bike? Well, your gonna look like the biggest idiot ever on your brand new, but messed-up bike after you’ve dropped it a few times. You’ll also look really dumb with a badass race bike that you stall 15 times at a red light before you can get into gear. Or even better, how about a nice R6 that you can’t ride more than 15mph around a turn because you don’t know how to counter-steer correctly? Yeah, your gonna be really cool with that bike, huh? Any real rider would give you props for going about learning to ride the *correct* way (i.e. on a learner bike). If you’re stressed about impressing someone with a “cool” bike, or embarrassed about being on smaller bike, then your not “mature enough” to handle the responsibility of ANY motorcycle. Try a bicycle. After you've grow-up (“matured”), revisit the idea of something with an engine.

7. "Don’t Ask for Advice if You Don't Want to Hear a Real Answer".
    A common pattern:
    1. Newbie asks for advice on a 1st bike (Newbie wants to hear certain answers)
    2. Experienced riders advise Newbie against a 600cc bike for a first ride (this is not what Newbie wanted to hear).
    3. Newbie says and thinks, "Others mess up while learning, but that wont happen to me" (as if Newbie is invincible, holds superpowers, never makes mistakes, has a “level head”, or has a skill set that exceeds the majority of the world, etc).
    4. Experienced riders explain why a “level head” isn’t enough. You also need SKILL, which can ONLY be gained via experience. (Newbie thinks he has innate motorcycle skills)
    5. Newbie makes up excuses as to why he is “mature” enough to handle a 600cc bike”. (skill drives motorcycles, not maturity)
    6. Newbie, with no knowledge about motorcycles, totally disregards all the advice he asked for in the first place. (which brings us right back to the VERY FIRST point I made about “knowledge of subject matter”).
    7. Newbie goes out and buys a R6, CBR, GSX, 6R, etc. Newbie is scared of the power. Being scared of your bike is the LAST thing you want. Newbie gets turned-off to motorcycles, because of fear, and never gets to really experience all the fun that they can really be. Or worse, Newbie gets in a serious accident.
    8. The truth of the matter is that Newbie was actually never really looking for serious advice. What he really wanted was validation and / or approval of a choice he was about to make or already had made. When he received real advice instead of validation he became defensive about his ability to handle a modern sport bike as first ride (thus defending the choice he had made). Validation of a poor decision isn’t going to replace scratched bodywork on your bike. It isn’t going put broken bones back together. It isn’t going graft shredded skin back onto your body. It isn’t going to teach you to ride a motorcycle the correct way. However, solid advice from experienced riders, when heeded, can help to avoid some of these issues.

I’m not trying to be harsh. I’m being real. Look all over the net. You’ll see veteran after veteran telling new riders NOT to get a 600cc bike for a first ride. You’ll even see pros saying to start small. Why? Because we hate new riders? Because we don't want others to have cool bikes? Because we want to smash your dreams? Nothing could be further from the truth. The more riders the better (assuming there not squids)! The reason people like me and countless others spend so much time trying to dissuade new riders from 600cc bikes is because we actually care about you. We don't want to see people get hurt. We don't want to see more people die in senseless accidents that could have been totally avoided with a little logic and patients. We want the “sport” to grow in a safe, healthy, and sane way. We want you to be around to ride that R6, CBR600RR, GSX-1000, Habayasu, etc that you desire so badly. However, we just want you to be able to ride it in a safe manner that isn’t going to be a threat to yourself or others. A side note, you may see people on the net and elsewhere saying “600cc bike are OK to start with”. Look a bit deeper when you see this. The vast majority of people making these statements are new riders themselves. If you follow their advice you’ve entered into a situation of the blind leading the blind. This is not something you want to do with motorcycles. You may also hear bike dealers saying that a 600cc is a good starter bike. They are trying to make money off you. Don’t listen.

8. HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!
    Speaking of help, this is a great time to plug the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. The MSF course is an AMAZING learning opportunity for new riders. The courses are offered all over the USA. A link for their web site is listed at the bottom of this post (or do a Goggle search and check you local RMV web page.). The MSF course assumes no prior knowledge of motorcycles and teaches the basics of how to ride a bike with out killing yourself (and NO, just because you passed the MSF course it does NOT mean your ready for an R6, GSX, CBR, etc). They provide motorcycles and helmets for the course. It is by far THE BEST way to start a life-long relationship with motorcycles. In some areas if you pass the course your motorcycle license will then be directly mailed to you. This means that you DON’T HAVE TO GO TO THE RMV, AT ALL!!!). That alone should be enough reason to take the course. Also, in some states you will get a discount on your insurance after you’ve taken the course. But wait, there is more! Some manufactures (Honda, Yamaha, etc) offer rebates if you take the course and then buy one of their bikes. Check their web sites / local dealers for details. I can’t plug the MSF course enough. It the best deal going for new riders. Period.

By the way, the short answer to the question, “What should I get for a first bike?” is as follows;

(1) First choice, a used bike that is 500cc or under. A new 500cc bike is good, but it would suck if you dropped it. Plus, it will depreciate in value the second you drive off the dealers parking lot…not good when you want to resell it for that brand new R6, GSX600, CBR600, etc.

(2) Any used OLDER 600cc sport bike (like 1980’s, early 1990’s). Go here http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html for the most compressive guide on “how to buy a used bike” that has ever been written.

(3) Any other used “standard” style of motorcycle.

Good “sport” type bikes for a first ride are as follows:

Honda: early 1990's Honda F2, F3, F4, 599

Kawasaki: Ninja 250cc, Ninja 500cc, early 1990’s ZX-6E or ZZR600.

Suzuki: GS500E, early 1990’s Katana 600cc, SV650*, SV650s*

Yamaha: early 1990’s Yamaha YZF600R*

*Suzuki’s SV650 and Yamaha’s YZF-600R can be quite a handful for a new rider, but they can also make great bikes.

Also, a GREAT book to check out is “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Motorcycles, 3rd edition”. The book coves everything from picking out a first bike, simple repair, anatomy of an engine, how to buy a used bike, riding gear, tips for surviving on the road, racing, etc. You can check this book out almost any major bookstore, www.amazon.com, or www.idiotsguides.com MY ADAVICE FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO GET INTO MOTORCYCLES WOULD BE TO BUY THIS BOOK AND READ IT COVER TO COVER ABOUT 2 OR 3 TIMES. AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THAT, THEN TAKE THE MSF COURSE. You’ll go into the course with some great information that will greatly enrich and hasten your learning experience. It will also give you a HUGE advantage on the written test at the conclusion of the MSF course. Trust me on this one, buy the book. At the very least, go hang out at Barnes & Nobel for an afternoon and read as much of the book as you can until they kick you out of the store.

I haven’t even mentioned riding gear. Get it. Wear it. People who wear a tank top, flip-flops, and shorts while riding don’t look so cool when it comes time for a skin-graft (or when a bee goes up their shorts). There are two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed, and those who will. Dress for the crash, not the ride.

A number of people have emailed me recently and asked the following question, (1) “I have ridden a friends street bike a few times, and grew up riding off-road bikes. With this history, would I be OK on a modern 600cc bike?” (2) I’m a bigger person, should I get a larger cc bike to compensate? The answer to both is “No”. Off-road and street riding are totally different worlds. Granted, someone with off-road history knows things like shift patterns, how to use a clutch, etc but the power, weight, and handling of street bikes are a different ball game altogether. As for larger people, additional height or weight does not mean that a bike is going to go “slower” to a degree that would in anyway justify a larger bike. Someone who weighs 250lbs can get themselves in trouble just as fast on a R6 as someone who weighs 150lbs. If you are taller, you’re going to be cramped on almost any sport bike. The best advice is to sit on a number of bikes and see which fits your body the best. Note, this does not mean that you should get a new GSX-750cc as first bike because it fits you better than a 1991 Honda F2 (a much better choice for a first-time rider). Once you got the basics down, then you can go for that better-fitting GSX-750cc, but not beforehand.

-chr|s sedition
    Boston, MA
    chris.sedition@gmail.com
    www.msf-usa.org (web site for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation)

Contributors to Content:
    “Drewser600” / Sportrider
    “Z_Fanatic” / sbw.sportbikes
    “Ancosta” / NESR
    “Tevo” / Sportrider

:pointup:

That is the BEST post I have seen!!!!!!!!!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by Hoss
    All kidding aside it's nice to see someone looking for a good starting bike. I've met way too many people with liter bikes as a first bike.
    Yeah, I'm hoping some newb later on will stumble upon this thread and see that you should really learn how to ride a bike, not just get the coolest or fastest thing out there.

I went kart racing for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast - and I was zipping around at maybe 35 mph. Still, it was more exciting than going 75/80 on the highway in my car!

Ok Now that I have read everyone elses responses and quoted a few... I will give you my opinion.
    (Like anyone thought I wouldn't, I can here Nikon now,"What took you so long Doc?" )

250 or 500 for first bike 250 ninja, EX500 or Gs500, do a search and read reviews.

Seems like you ar leaning to a sport or sport standard.

Don't Rule out 80's bikes, There are some classics out there that can be had for cheap ( I am picking up a Nice Honda Ascot V twin tonight and it is going up for sale tomorrow!)

The Hawk GT's are great but you won't find a good one for less than $3000.

I had a 250 Ninja back in 91, then I got a 1981 Suzuki GS550e in 1994, from there I went to a 1992 Ducati 750ss in 1996. That bike was too much for me in the beginning but I grew into it, then I got a ZX7 Kawi, My first REAL inline 4, WOW, just a different riding experience, the way the power hit and stuff, WOW! I decided to stay with V-twins. Now I have the 1992 900ss and It has more than enough power and it won't stay with a current 600 top speed.

I also have a Hawk GT that I love and I am going to make into a track bike, it has enough power to be loads of fun and it handles awesome! Plus the trick SSSA is COOL.

You seem very mature, I am sure whatever bike you get you are going to make a great addition to the riding family. Congrats and enjoy!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Originally posted by hqp921
    I went kart racing for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast - and I was zipping around at maybe 35 mph. Still, it was more exciting than going 75/80 on the highway in my car!
    BINGO!

Although I have a bigger bike, I ride responsibly. (Having 11 years of riding under my belt before I took 10 years off from it.) I don't race, but I know how to ride, having learned the finer points directly from an MST instructor and former road racer.

You'll find that zipping around on your 500cc machine to be a helluva lot more fun that cruising on 4 wheels. There's something to be said about being in the open air. It just makes things better.

And, all bikes get attention, no matter what type, because of the ratio of cars to bikes. the more uncommon gets noticed more.

|

I'm going to chime in here, I have about 1000 miles on the EX250 and I owed an EX500 and put 4100 on it before selling it for a more modern bike.

I'm going to say skip the 250. One of the things you really need to get a feel for is weight transfer on the gas and the brakes. There's very little transfer on the 250 but on the 500 you get a good feel for it. Also, I can't imagine the 250 keeping you that entertained for that long, not that it's a bad thing to ride now and then, it's just not going to keep you happy for very long. Pretty much the first time you ride any other bike you are going to want that. The 500 is almost a real bike that will teach you all you need while minimizing the results when you do something ham fisted. It should keep you happy for two seasons providing you don't get on a modern 600, which is not a good idea for a first bike.

Originally posted by Doc
    250 or 500 for first bike 250 ninja, EX500 or Gs500, do a search and read reviews.
    Oh, I have been! Probably more than I should be (since it's on work time, hehe)

Seems like you ar leaning to a sport or sport standard.
    [sarcasm]Well, yeah, I am Asian, what else am I supposed to get?[/sarcasm]

But yeah, that's what I am leaning towards. I know that they're made for one thing: going fast. I also know they're covered in plastic that's going to cost me $ when I go down. I just can't really picture myself on something other than a sporty bike. Maybe I'm not mature as you thought! j/k Come to think of it, I never really pictured myself on a motorcycle as much as I do now!

Don't Rule out 80's bikes, There are some classics out there that can be had for cheap
    I'll definately keep this in mind - I just didn't know if you shouldn't buy an old bike as a first bike. I'm sure with more experience under my belt (riding and working on them), I'll be more comfortable.

You seem very mature, I am sure whatever bike you get you are going to make a great addition to the riding family. Congrats and enjoy!
    Thanks! I'm just glad that this forum isn't full of squids! (Just like the car forum I belong to aren't a bunch of street racers!). I like knowing there are still sane and competent people out there [this is where the thread goes crazy and NESR members start bashing each other ]

The sport bike covered in plastic thing is any easy fix in 2 ways.

1.) Buy a sport standard that doesn't have plastic or minimal.

2) Take the plastic of the bike and make it into a cool streetfighter!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

another vote for the dual sport here. I realize you probably want the look and feel of a sport bike, but you live in Blackstone.. WTF! you are closer to good trails than most and you have the opportunity to own a nice starter DS like:
    or this

or.. you get the idea

I have one as my first bike and have been riding two years. I also have an old project 1000cc bike that is rarely on the road, but satisfies my highway fetish, which is very light next to my trail fetish and I refuse to sell my DS - it's too much damn fun.

Originally posted by Doc
    2) Take the plastic of the bike and make it into a cool streetfighter!
    Yeah, I was thinking about this.

Originally posted by sanfelice
    another vote for the dual sport here. I realize you probably want the look and feel of a sport bike, but you live in Blackstone.. WTF! you are closer to good trails than most and you have the opportunity to own a nice starter DS
    Which would be perfect if I was interested in riding trails...

Who knows, maybe I'd really get into trail riding. I just don't think I'm into it at the moment.

Here's you chance: make me change my mind.

The plastics issue is a really easy one to solve by just taking the plastics off. Not to mention, it iwll give your bike its own distinct look, at least until you are comfortable having plastics on it again. Not to mention, it makes all the maintenancy things much easier when you dont have to take the plastics off every time. Of course, by getting a bike that has already been down (make sure there is nothing really wrong with it, just cosmetics), you can save a ton of $$ and not worry about putting your own dings and scrapes in it.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

And whatever you do... (this is very important, you might want to jot this down in your little notebook and underline it) always wear a helmet and gloves.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by mzdagrl
    The plastics issue is a really easy one to solve by just taking the plastics off. Not to mention, it iwll give your bike its own distinct look, at least until you are comfortable having plastics on it again. Not to mention, it makes all the maintenancy things much easier when you dont have to take the plastics off every time. Of course, by getting a bike that has already been down (make sure there is nothing really wrong with it, just cosmetics), you can save a ton of $$ and not worry about putting your own dings and scrapes in it.
    How hard it is to paint the fairings? I've seen some decently priced bikes with the ugliest color schemes... could I rattle-can fairings? Perhaps I could paint it hot pink? (Hmm... I just looked at that picture and that bike has a lot of plastics... maybe I should just get the ugly color schemes... and throw on some of that 80's spandex to match )

Originally posted by ChrisNoF4i
    And whatever you do... (this is very important, you might want to jot this down in your little notebook and underline it) always wear a helmet and gloves.
    Always wear a helmet, jacket and gloves... and pants.

No one likes bikers who drive around pantless...

Joking aside, *holds up hand* I do swear to always wear proper riding gear and never get on a bike wearing only a tank top, Umbro shorts and flip flops (even if they are the Uber-Squid Edition). And if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, I'll take my car... or if it's too hot for gear - it's probably too hot to ride.

Originally posted by ChrisNoF4i
    And NO FRICKEN SHORTS or FLIP FLOPS!!

Only pants and over the ankle shoes/boots.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast