Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me get more power

Help me get more power

hey everyone. i need some help. i was on my way home at about 630 this morning on the nicely paved empty 3 lane highway. i was cruising along at about 80 and i see brand new bmw m3 flying up on me. i pin the throttle till redline in 4th and nail it in 5th and 6th. i couldnt pull away from him, in fact he started to pull away from me before he got nervous and slowed down. i have an '02 954rr with 13000 miles and i topped out at 152. does that seem right? i couldnt get higher than that in 5th or 6th. thats not my typical driving style, but this guy was like 65, i felt like a shmuck. its wierd that i topped out there, because ive had it faster than that before (not much, but maybe 10 mph). what kind of performance upgrades or work would you recommend (and a turbo is out of the question) the bike is stock except for a d&d slip on. it feels good on low end power (pulls up easy in 2nd, but id like to get a little more high end without losing the current low end. thanks for the help, and i admit i suck for getting beat by a 65 year old man

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    '02 954RR

Things that make you go hmmmm

Help me get more power

you sure it wasn't an M5 ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I Dance With Will

Help me get more power

152 (+10)? the air was warm? should drop a gear and nail it. then quit.

i know the upgrade. it's call ZX10.

"fuckit!"

Help me get more power

it was definetly an m3. i was as surprised as you, it had sack and so did that old man. i like the zx10, but i own my bike free and clear and i cant even think about another bike payment, so i have to try to make what i have better. i didnt think about the warm air. it was defintely cooler when i hit the 160 mark. do you think think where i topped out is normal and i should just deal. i feel like a 1000cc bike should be able to take a 6 cylinder car

Tony
    '02 954RR

Help me get more power

I'd think you would be able to waste that car, I'm pretty sure they're low 13 second cars. Maybe the car was modified? I've seen some unbelieveably fast M3s. Was your bike near redline? What was the tach at? Is it running ok? Get nitrous!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

Help me get more power

it might have been modified, from what i could see (at 150) it looked stock and like i said i cant see a 60 something year old having a race ready m3. i redlined 4th and 5th was at about 11000 (redline is just over 11500) 6th was around 10000 give or take, but i couldnt get anything else. throttle was pinned in 5th and 6th for a while with no increase in speed. i was so embarrassed i came home and gave myself a time out. i have heard a few things about a power commander. im looking mostly for less expensive upgrades (under 500 a pop) what about getting the headres for my exhaust, i have the D&D slip on. think that will add anything, keep in mind i dont want to lose what i have for low end

Tony
    '02 954RR

Help me get more power

oh and other than the fact that the bike has 13000 miles it runs fine as far as i know anyways (not sure how to identify if its running at its peak performance, all i know is it starts right up and goes just fine)

Tony
    '02 954RR

Just Registered

take it to the track!

It either wasn't a stock M3, you didn't get on it like you think you did, or you're missing a sparkplug

Though not the fastest superbikes out there - the 954 isn't that much of a slouch (I used to have one). Sure you weren't on a F4i or somethin?

If you do want more juice, get a hindle full system and a PCIII with a tuned map. D&D makes noisy crap that does little except get you more noticed by those navy blue crown vics.

Were you in leathers or a t-shirt btw?

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Help me get more power

i dont have a leather jacket, but i had a joe rocket 3/4 race jacket on. i read the reviews on the D&D your 100% right about the lack of power increase, but i love the sound. can i get a pcIII with what i have or do i have to upgrade the exhaust in order for that to make a difference

Tony
    '02 954RR

Help me get more power

Originally posted by bara954
    looked stock and like i said i cant see a 60 something year old having a race ready m3.
    why not ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I Dance With Will

Help me get more power

i'v seen older looking guys on C5 all the time.

i don't think PCIII and full header will help much if you run into that same M3 again. sounds like you need something that can do at least 180mph. gonna be a big upgrade.

"fuckit!"

Help me get more power

I'm with Kham: get a ZX-12r, busa, gsxr1100, etc.

The money spent to make a smaller displacement sportbike faster, is better spent getting a larger displacement sportbike.

Help me get more power

cool, thanks for the feedback. i was starting to think that maybe my bike wasnt runnign to peak perfomance, but it sounds like it is. man that m3 was fast. gotta get me one of those

Tony
    '02 954RR

Help me get more power

Never ridden the 954 but I would expect it to be able to outrun even a highly modified M3 up to your transmission's limits.

But one thing is for certain, the 954 is not in the same power league as the 12R, 10R, Busa, and the '05 GSXR1000. All 4 bikes will get to 150 right quickly. I can't comment on the other bikes at that speed, but the 12R still pulls like a freight train well beyond 150!

Help me get more power

That's too bad, I've always thought 12R's were fast! It pulls like a freight train? Damn, my old Superhawk will waste a freight train past 150! You need to get your money back! Bara, you need to go two teeth up on the front sprocket and put a hundred shot of nitrous on it, that'll give you some serious top end.

JT42

Help me get more power

Would a comparison to a raped ape be better?

Help me get more power

I've never found a raped ape to compare acceleration against, but I'm sure it would waste me. Maybe I'll go rape one to find out.

JT42

Help me get more power

cool, thanks for the feedback. i was starting to think that maybe my bike wasnt runnign to peak perfomance, but it sounds like it is. man that m3 was fast. gotta get me one of those
    M3 hell no !! go for the
    M5

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Help me get more power

Originally posted by RandyO
    M3 hell no !! go for the
    M5
    If only I made 3-4 times what I do now...!!!

I could also see myself in an M6 too!

Help me get more power

thanks fot eh feedback zx-12r, i guess my best bet is to consider a trade up to the zx-10. id like to stay with a liter bike. i hate the looks of the hyabusa. have you driventhe zx-10. is it out of control power. one of the things i love about the 954 is that it is stilla driveable bike. it can take corners and is easy to read and get used to. very predictable. smooth power band. give me some feedback, and try to leave your personal feeling toward kawasaki in general out of it. i just want to know about the zx-10. i talked to my friend who has an '04 bmw 330 hooked up with major dinan upgrades, he said he was able to keep up with an r1 on the highway. he couldnt pass, but the r1 couldnt pull away. they got to about 150 (his govenor was removed as part of the dinan upgrade) anyways i appreciate your feedback about the zx-10. im also reading several reviews about all the '05 liter bikes. what the hell is up with the gixxers exhaust. disgusting!!

Tony
    '02 954RR

Just Registered

Help me get more power

Originally posted by Kham
    i don't think PCIII and full header will help much if you run into that same M3 again. sounds like you need something that can do at least 180mph. gonna be a big upgrade.

Someone should tell Suzuki they don't need that 186mph limiter on their 750 then.

edit:
    If you want to waste fast rides on the highway, get a 12r or a Busa, hands down. The new ZX and GXSR from what I hear are pretty damned fast - but you're comparing a longer, larger heavy (stable/comfortable) bike with a small race ready rocket that gives you noplace to hide. The 954 is also one of the comfiest bikes I've tossed a leg over and didn't kill me on 500mile days slabbing to and fro.

It's all about what you're going to be doing with the bike the majority of the time. If you just want to find that m3, RUF®, Enzo, C6z06 and blow it the hell out of the water - call turbo express and find a used busa. Just hope they don't taunt you into following them around the ramp.

Despite the above, a ZX-12 would be my current ride if I was still on the street...at least this week

Last edited by ssg; 06-12-05 at 12:14 AM.
    My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Help me get more power

thanks fot eh feedback zx-12r, i guess my best bet is to consider a trade up to the zx-10. id like to stay with a liter bike. i hate the looks of the hyabusa. have you driventhe zx-10. is it out of control power. one of the things i love about the 954 is that it is stilla driveable bike. it can take corners and is easy to read and get used to. very predictable. smooth power band. give me some feedback, and try to leave your personal feeling toward kawasaki in general out of it. i just want to know about the zx-10. i talked to my friend who has an '04 bmw 330 hooked up with major dinan upgrades, he said he was able to keep up with an r1 on the highway. he couldnt pass, but the r1 couldnt pull away. they got to about 150 (his govenor was removed as part of the dinan upgrade) anyways i appreciate your feedback about the zx-10. im also reading several reviews about all the '05 liter bikes. what the hell is up with the gixxers exhaust. disgusting!!
    First I'll start by saying that the guy on the R1 was only playing with your buddy in the BMW 330. The other possibility is the story is made up. The R1 is far quicker than anything a modified 330 can bring to the table.

Anyway, there are a number of people here that can give you better info on the 10R. I only have a little bit of seat time on it. It is lightning fast and extremely light. I found it very drivable but you better be comfortable with your front wheel coming off of the ground in the first three gears with just the flick of the wrist. My complaints are: No factory steering damper, digital tach, and it is too small for me to get comfortable on. The goods: Engine is fantastic, handling is excellent, oh and did I mention the engine?

Would I buy one? Most definitely, but it is certainly not be a replacement for my 12R. It would be sweet to have a 10R to keep it company though!

Help me get more power

Anyway, there are a number of people here that can give you better info on the 10R. I only have a little bit of seat time on it. It is lightning fast and extremely light. I found it very drivable but you better be comfortable with your front wheel coming off of the ground in the first three gears with just the flick of the wrist. My complaints are: No factory steering damper, digital tach, and it is too small for me to get comfortable on. The goods: Engine is fantastic, handling is excellent, oh and did I mention the engine?
    Bill's right, the tach SUCKS!! But I've lost 200cc's and could probably pull away from him pretty well at 150! Wind protection sucks though, 160 used to be a cool breeze on the 12 and on the 10 you feel like your holding on for dear life! I really do miss the 12.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Help me get more power

thanks for the good advice. the majority of my riding is just normal street riding (twisties or nice back roads). it is of course nice to have the ability to waste the occasional car that wants to race. ive always been successful with the 954, but i think from what youve all said the zx-10 would be my best upgrade. time to start looking!!

Tony
    '02 954RR

Help me get more power

thanks for the good advice. the majority of my riding is just normal street riding (twisties or nice back roads). it is of course nice to have the ability to waste the occasional car that wants to race. ive always been successful with the 954, but i think from what youve all said the zx-10 would be my best upgrade. time to start looking!!
    no matter how fast you are, there will always be a car faster than a bike if running with exotics, everything else, you can already keep in your mirrors (or let them fade till there gone) I kept an Audi TT behind me till 110 with my SV, I was kinda surprised that I did that well, I am not the most aerodynamic rider

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast