Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Is there anyone who can help me setup my suspension?

My suspension on my 02 SV is still set the way cycles128 left it and I am pretty sure that they didn't set it up for a 6'4" 220 lb guy... Anyone know how to change fork oil? Supposedly one of the best ways to get some extra firmness in the front forks is to move from the 5W water suzuki installs to 20W. I live in framingham, any suspension gurus out there who can help me get things setup the right way and maybe even 'explain' things a little to me? I will gladly pay you in beer! Or use of tools or whatever suits your fancy...

Thanks,
    Chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

A while ago we had a "suspension day", and there was a guy about your size who had an 02 SVS, and the stock sag was actually OK for him.

A lot of the complaints on the SV mailing list, etc.. are people who are looking for a way to modify their bike, whether they actually need to change the suspension or not. Ask RandyO to show you his scraped exhaust pipe on his SV that still has the stock suspension...

I don't know your level of riding, but unless you're riding at the track and are quite good the stock setup is probably OK.

Ben

The only thing that bugs me is that when getting hard on the brakes i get quite alot of nose dive... my riding skill is certainly the first thing I am working on improving, but i figured that for just a few bucks maybe i could eliminate some of that dive.

I do notice that on other bikes i have rode on, it does not feel nearly as 'divy' when i pull a good handful of front brake.

Primarily what I would like to know is whether or not the suspension is set right for my size, and how to check that etc.

Thanks,
    Chris

- The man not looking to buy cartridge emulators and penske shock (OR the man who wants to get the most out of what hes got)

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Chuck is the man to talk to about suspension setting. He has done extensive research on the subject. Nowadays the best place to find him is probably Motomarket on Thursday nights or post here.

Alberto
    '02 RC51

Banned

Ya might want to get a second opinion from Ed (pinhead). How's your suspension Ed?

degsy

I to wish to nominate a second king of suspension tuning!! Degs, you rock, baby!! On the way home Sunday, I noticed what the road was doing!!!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

well heck, i could ride to anyones place

that was willing to take a look at how the bike is currently setup... I found some good materials on changing out the fork oil, so I think I can manage that one by myself, but if someone could just go over what i can set on the SV with me and how to figure out if its set right, that would be great.

I may run over to motomkt and see if chuck is there and see if he can at least explain some of this shtuff to me.

Thanks,
    Chris

sounds like we need another SUSPENSION DAY

anyone interested? If noones interested, then I'll just head up to the track on the next race day and see if I can't find someone to help me out

Chris

i'm interested, i know the static stuff, but i need help setting it.

the only problem for me is i have a lot of traveling to do in the coming month. (sucks!)

so plan it for Sept.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Hohum,
    are you heading to the DTE show in Worchester on Saturday? If so bring your tools to adjust your suspension,
    Cameron same goes for you. There will be enough people in one place to take care of it. I'll bring the mesuring tape.

Cooter

99 Superhawk 996
    Two brothers carbon fiber exhuast
    Eurotail by Eurobikes

yup, i'll be there All the tools i should need should be in my handy dandy toolkit, no?

If so, thats always in the tail for those long trips to VT when anything and everything can go wrong

Chris

The SV is short on adjustments, Just rebound in the front I believe. This was put on the 2002 SV's and not the earlier ones.
    You may have to go with springs that are rated a little heavier for you too. Oil visc change, and valving changes will do the trick.
    as for the ass end, you are stuck with spring preload and nothing else. There are aftermarket shocks available for the SV. It all depends on how you ride.

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

The SV is short on adjustments, Just rebound in the front I believe. This was put on the 2002 SV's and not the earlier ones.

No, the new (2002) SV's did not get rebound adjustment they got a preload adjuster, I just ordered some for mine, along with progressive springs and all the pieces to rebuild my forks

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by RandyO

No, the new (2002) SV's did not get rebound adjustment they got a preload adjuster, I just ordered some for mine, along with progressive springs and all the pieces to rebuild my forks
    Ok, Making a note.......SV has only preload.....

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

TLRman, it looks like you finally got a picture of YOUR tlr for the avatar... but that doesn't look like your wife or kids standing in front of her?!?!?!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

who cares?

me likey.
    -t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Talking nice toy

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    TLRman, it looks like you finally got a picture of YOUR tlr for the avatar... but that doesn't look like your wife or kids standing in front of her?!?!?!
    looks like u got that suspension, set up for me i could ride her

Last edited by beet; 04-03-07 at 11:34 AM.
    www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Re: nice toy

Originally posted by beet
    looks like u got that suspension, set up for me i could ride her

What the fuck did you say????

Gerard