Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help with throttle cables

Help with throttle cables

So I finally got to putting that R1 Throttle tube on tonight. and i must say, that grip glue is the biggest PITA in the world! so i used one little dab and a lot of hair spray.

but to continue ... i figured i would be smart and loosen the throttle cables near the air filter box on my bike. and now i could use some tips/suggestions on putting it all back together just right.

I got it so it would snap back finally, but it doesnt make as loud of a noise (if you would) as it used to when it made that snap back. Its still there, but not as loud....is that a problem?

and how do i make it so i have that little play with the throttle?....err.... that little area that you are able to move the throttle a little bit with out it moving the RPMs.... i really cant explain any of this.

any help would be amazing! thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Help with throttle cables

My gut says you gummed up your throttle with hair spary or glue and that's why it's slower to return to idle. but, just in case:

I have found that throttle cables are touchy about routing and tension. If you routed them differently when you re-assmbled, they may not let the throttle snap back like it used to. One of your cables should have a length adjuster on the outer sheath. They form a closed ring, so if you lengthen the outer sheath on one, it tightens both cables. The adjuster is usually near the throttle end, not the engine. That said, having too little play often results in a sticky or slow throttle.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    My gut says you gummed up your throttle with hair spary or glue and that's why it's slower to return to idle. but, just in case:

I have found that throttle cables are touchy about routing and tension. If you routed them differently when you re-assmbled, they may not let the throttle snap back like it used to. One of your cables should have a length adjuster on the outer sheath. They form a closed ring, so if you lengthen the outer sheath on one, it tightens both cables. The adjuster is usually near the throttle end, not the engine. That said, having too little play often results in a sticky or slow throttle.

well i didnt put the grip on the throttle tube while it was on the bike. i did it hours before hand on he throttle tube when i got it in the mail... so i dont think it was the hair spray and what ever is left from the glue

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    well i didnt put the grip on the throttle tube while it was on the bike. i did it hours before hand on he throttle tube when i got it in the mail... so i dont think it was the hair spray and what ever is left from the glue
    My gut is often wrong...

yea i finally got it. thanks!