Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

help with my tiller...

help with my tiller...

Hey Guys what's up...i haven't been on in a while but need some advice...i have Suzuki TL1000R and am considering going up 3 teeth on the rear sprocket and down 1 tooth in the front and i can see this being a great setup for riding in NHS considering it's a short course....But and it's a BIG BUT....how much is this going to affect my street riding???? I do hop on the Highway occasionally and slab it so how much will this hurt my Top Speed...i ain't looking to do 170MPH with this set up but would like to be able to blast it up to 145-150 MPH...if need be.....Help me out guys...give it to me straight and realistic....i know you won't disappoint ....Thanx Guyz....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If it ain't Fun, You ain't Rydin.....

Re: help with my tiller...

I would do the -1 front first, then do the other +3 after you ride it a bit...wich is a lot for the street but...usually I always do -1 at least...wakes the bike up a Ton and is the chepest mod availible..with good results. Won't be as sluggish in 5-6th...

but how much will this mod hurt me on the highway????

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR750Mke View Post
    Hey Guys what's up...z....

one of the sprocket manufacturers has an online calculator that allows you to get all the figures for various changes to your drive ratio. i've played with gearing on my streetbike (k3gsxr6) and although its a noticeable change i wouldnt worry about losing 35mph off your top speed. I CAN tell you having aluminum sprockets on a 100+ HP superbike absolutely sucks if you actually put miles on your bike... might be worth swapping out the sprocket if its the same pitch. (520/525/530....)

Afam front a rear sprockets......titanium rear sprocket....

Last edited by KillahTillah; 02-23-09 at 08:28 AM.

looks like I'm looking at a top speed of 163@10,000rpms....

You won't loose that much on the top....also Use a steel front they hold up a lot better than the others....

Don't do the -1 on the front....It eats the rubber chain guard on the swingarm. I'm running 17/43 right now (+4). It's fine on the highway...80 is about 5500 rpms. Not sure of the top end, though. But I didn't red line it on the straight at NJMP (but I'm slow). It is an okay set up for NHMS, but I'm actually thinking of dropping 2 in the rear. Check with LionnaLeash (member here), when I spoke with him, he only shifts a couple times but I don't recall his setup.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

For the love of god someone make this link a sticky.

http://www.gearingcommander.com

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    Don't do the -1 on the front....It eats the rubber chain guard on the swingarm. I'm running 17/43 right now (+4). It's fine on the highway...80 is about 5500 rpms. Not sure of the top end, though. But I didn't red line it on the straight at NJMP (but I'm slow). It is an okay set up for NHMS, but I'm actually thinking of dropping 2 in the rear. Check with LionnaLeash (member here), when I spoke with him, he only shifts a couple times but I don't recall his setup.
    Thanks Marshdrummer...

At NHMS I currently have only 4 shifts with around a 1:27-1:28 lap. I'm not lightning fast I know, but I only ride the track a couple times a year if I'm lucky. Last year I only had 1 trackday, I may or may not have one this year at all.

I've tried 16-39, 17-39, 17-41, and 18-39. As I got faster, I found myself running out of rpm more and more before I reached my shut down reference points. There wasn't really enough time for me to up shift and keep going because it was just about time to shut down and get on the brakes anyway.

The first 3 ratios I had 7 shifts per lap(they aren't that much different from eachother anyway). Then last year I tried going tall on my gears(18-39) so I could make the distance to my reference points while keeping the throttle open. I went from 7 shifts/lap, down to 4 shifts/lap, with faster lap time to boot.

Anyway, from my experience it seems the shorter gears and the shifting took away from me just riding the darn thing. I'm sure its different for every person as plenty of folk shift way more than I do with their smaller bikes and turn WAY faster laps than I do.

I don't feel that I'm at anymore of a disadvantage at my level with the tall gears than I am with the shorter ones against the new bikes. They out accelerate me all the time either way. If I want to get by, I just have to keep them close enough so I can get them on the brakes at the far end.

Coming out of T12 I start in 3rd gear, I shift up to 4th somewhere just before the start/fin stripe(shift 1), into T3 I downshift to 3rd(shift 2), then back to 4th just before the crest at T5(shift 3), then shift back to 3rd gear coming into T11(Shift 4). Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I just use 3rd and 4th gear.

It seems that lots of HP isn't that big of an advantage at NHMS with the track being tight and technical. On a bigger track I'm sure Id just watch the tail light fade into the distance.

Have fun!

Last edited by LiononaLeash; 02-23-09 at 01:07 PM.

Personally I think my TL is geared to short with the stock 17/39. I've never taken it to the track but I went up 1 in the front on my SV and it's much better than stock or -1 front.

00 SV650, 01SV650S, 02SV650S, 01 TLR Fighter, 05 BMW R1100S BCR, 87 BMW K75, 69 BMW R60US

T- Rd. Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQfnf9JmFw

Wirelessly posted (** BB 8830**: BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

PM TLRMAN -- he is the Tillah king