Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, anyone around boston help a guy out?

Hey, I registered a while ago, just never got around to posting...

About 4 days ago, i was on my lunch break from work and i found a fucking nail sticking outta my rear tire. I found a good price online, but all the bike shops want WAY too much to put it on for me.

I was wondering if anyone around here would be willing to show me how put on a rear tire? I figure while i got a new rear, might as well get a front too... but that one looks easier.

The tires are only gonnna run me $195 shipped bt010 150/60-18 on the rear and a bt010 110/70-17 for the front from chapparal-racing.com, but the dealerships want 50-100, no i didnt studder, 1-0-0 dollars to mount a rear for me, pffftt.

The tire is ridable, its got a slow leak, so i can travel with it, and have a buddy take a cage witht he tire behind me.

SO if anyone can help me out mount a front and rear thats knows what they're doing for about $50 then drop me a line?

I live in Peabody, MA btw

Thanks,

Rob

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You should be able to save some money by taking the wheels off the bike yourself so the shop only has to do the actual removal/mounting of the tires to the rims.

Does anyone know why it is that a typical car garage can't do the removal/mounting? It would seem like a rim is a rim is a rim... ?

taking the tire off it the easy part... putting it back on RIGHT is what im worried about

mounting the tire on the rim is $20 a tire down the street

Putting a wheel back on isn't very hard at all. Just line every thing up and slide it in. The chain adjusters have to be set to thier loosest setting and make sure that you keep track of any and ALL spacers that go in the rear assy before durring and after the wheel is off! You tell me where in Peabody they'll change a M'cycle tire for $20 and I'll come down this weekend and help you out if I'm not working.

'05 DL1000k / '02 DR650se
    04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    '99 ZX-9r (squirl's new ride: RIP)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

I must not have read my post over very well, i mean they'll toss the wheel onto the rim for $20, not the wheel onto the bike.

Its a place called all seasons motorsports on rt 114 in middleton, about 2-3 miles tops from my house @ 60 mph(Speed limit is 50 on that part of 114).. its like a 10 minute ride w/ redlights and the police station you gotta ride by.

Freestyle Street Rider Brian_C6's Avatar

plug the tire and save the $$

lata,
    Bri

Originally posted by Brian_C6
    plug the tire and save the $$

lata,
    Bri
    Then use those $$ for a service manual; cholocholo41@yahoo.com.

After, you can change your wheels, maintain, and tune your bike yourself.

Good luck bro.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I need some new rubber anyways.. getting kinda thin, which is probably y the nail actually puntured the tire to begin with.

I was planning to buy some new ones, smoke the hell outta the old ones and have 2 mounted for about $250.. and i gotta re-jet my carbs, i think its running too rich.. change the oil and see how it goes from there.

But if all else fails.. patching is a valid solution? Its not gonna blow on me in the middle of a corner?

If you really wanna be sure you get the rear tire back on right use a digital camera to help you remember where everything was... and don't lean your brake rotors against anything - don't wanna bend em.

Originally posted by LordZero
    I must not have read my post over very well, i mean they'll toss the wheel onto the rim for $20, not the wheel onto the bike.

Its a place called all seasons motorsports on rt 114 in middleton, about 2-3 miles tops from my house @ 60 mph(Speed limit is 50 on that part of 114).. its like a 10 minute ride w/ redlights and the police station you gotta ride by.
    Nope, we understood eachother right. Most places want AT LEAST $25 to mount a tire on a rim not attached to a bike. Bring them the whole bike and it's $50 + each. As far as changing your own, I wouldn't do it and I do most everything myself (not well, but I do it). There's too much chance to scratch or bend the rim IMHO, and I can't afford new ones. Besides, I DO sometimes change my dirt bike tires and thay are stiff as hell to break the bead. I can only imagine how much more a pita it is on a street tire! I also wouldn't plug a M'cycle tire. There's too much at stake in those two hoops of rubber.

'05 DL1000k / '02 DR650se
    04 FXDXi (RIP)
    '04 SV650s(gone)
    '99 ZX-9r (squirl's new ride: RIP)
    2k1 GSXR750(stolen-RIP)
    2k3 KLX400sr(gone)

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Jeff @ All-Season Motorsports will mount a tire you buy from him for $20, off the bike.

if you bring in a tire you bought elsewhere, it's $40.

just bought a new bun for the Kat from him a coupla weeks ago... while I could get the tire cheaper online... once I factored in the shipping + the extra to mount it, it only came to about $10 difference. for that little difference, I'd rather spend it on a local guy who lent me a quik-lift to pull the tire than a warehouse in the mid-west.

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Everybody to the limit!

When I needed new rubber for the EX500, someone here mentioned Jim Pidgeon up in Manchester. Nice guy, used to work for the suzuki dealership over in londonderry, now he does motorcycle work out of his home in his spare time.

I took the EX up to him because I didnt' have any stands. Told him no hurry because it was a second bike, think it took a weekend. Told me I coulda had it done on the spot if I had brought the wheels but ya, no hurry. Anyway, I can't remember but I think it was like 45, maybe 50 bucks for both front and back. Real stand up guy, he cleaned and waxed my chain while it was there because he "noticed it was a little bit dirty".

Highly recommended if you're local to Manchester, NH. His number's on a thread a few months back...

Awright all you fukas, 'got y'alll covered: at the track Dunlop swaps our rubber for $10/rim. They haul ass, balance, and won't scratch your bling bling.

August 16-17th.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by legalspeed
    Awright all you fukas, 'got y'alll covered: at the track Dunlop swaps our rubber for $10/rim. They haul ass, balance, and won't scratch your bling bling.

August 16-17th.
    well this just beats all!

"fuckit!"

I can help you out if your having issues re-installing. Where in Peabody?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I live on Buford Road, right off Russell street, which is the street that branches off lowell street at shop and save in peabody.

I still hafta order the tire(s) online tommorow, but thanks for all the feedback people

thanks for all your input everyone I found a dealer that actually gave me at cost for the tires, as long as he mounts them.

Gave me a figure of around $250 out the door with all new rubber, i figure its worth it to save me the hassle of doing this for the first time, and my life depending on the tire

Thanks for all the offers tho, I'll probably show up at one of the posted group rides sooner or later, and you know ill be readint the forums.

You peeps seem like a close group, glad im from new england

Thanks again,
    Rob

and this dealer would be???

c'mon, spill the beans... it's good to share

jeff f
    '97 RF900R

It's North Shore Custom Cycles, 94 cabot street in Beverly, MA.

I don't ride a bike with those big ass 180's on it, yet, so thats probably y the tires seem cheap to you guys? I got the 110/70-17 front and the 150/60-18 rear for my FZR600(first bike )

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...98FD4631F1B839

I'd love to get to know everyone more, so if theres ever a ride that you think its suitable for a rookie with 3000 total miles under his belt, lemme know

Edit: The at cost for him was about $9 less total. Not a whole ton, but it says sumthing for the shops service

thanx... that's about 5 min from my house, think I'll wander over that way next time I need sumpin'...

jeff f
    '97 RF900R

You must live right over the bridge in salem then,, we prolly rode right past your house

I was on the bike that looked like it was sliding in the back, with a half inflated tire heh heh about 3 miles behind my friend on his r6

I STILL have JC's mounting and balancing shizzle up at my place. If you feel like coming waaaaaaay the hell up to my place, lemme know. The offer's good as long as I keep 'forgetting' to get the shit back to him....

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by LordZero
    You must live right over the bridge in salem then,, we prolly rode right past your house

I was on the bike that looked like it was sliding in the back, with a half inflated tire heh heh about 3 miles behind my friend on his r6
    actually, I'm over the "other" bridge... the one that's closed right now... which makes for a most excellent back-door route into Beverly (why do I know I'm gonna hear about that phrase from Stoneman?)

wouldn't have seen ya anyway, since I'm at work... in Peabody

jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Originally posted by Ken
    Nope, we understood eachother right. Most places want AT LEAST $25 to mount a tire on a rim not attached to a bike. Bring them the whole bike and it's $50 + each. As far as changing your own, I wouldn't do it and I do most everything myself (not well, but I do it). There's too much chance to scratch or bend the rim IMHO, and I can't afford new ones. Besides, I DO sometimes change my dirt bike tires and thay are stiff as hell to break the bead. I can only imagine how much more a pita it is on a street tire! I also wouldn't plug a M'cycle tire. There's too much at stake in those two hoops of rubber.

Damn on rt 6 in dartmouth, they take off and put on for 30 bones. You just gotta drop off the bike to em, fuck I forgot the name, it's a small custom shop

Ah i see, i work overnights at the danvers home depot.... i really gota go back to school...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast