Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

School of KLR's

School of KLR's

I know I'm gonna kick myself for doing this, but looking for input on KLR650's. I'm currently kicking the tires on a bone-stock 2011 that I found for a DECENT price. Looking for some inside scoop...

Also gonna be looking at an '09 locally...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Re: School of KLR's

Clayton says they're the most mediocre motorcycle you'll ever love, or some shit like that.

They're cheap (can be found cheap) bombproof, and there's more farkles for em than you can shake a stick at. I would own one, I think.
    A -betterineveryway- bike similar is the ktm 620/640 adv, if you want something slightly more refined.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I was checking out the Adventurethingy all up close & personal yesterday. They're far too ugly and far too expensive for my tastes...

They certainly aren't for everyone (the adv). I really don't know you at all, let alone well enough to recommend any bike, but a klr is like a blank canvas to mod into the scooter of your choosing.

Edit: the only thing I do recall, as far as nuts and bolts, is the first year of the second gen had some oiling issues.

Oh, and they're lousy submarines.

The husky 610 is another "better" bike. I'm really NOT trying to discourage you from the klr, just giving you some options. Te610 pluses- 6spd, and better suspension. Sort of wonky geometry for hardcore offroading though.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 03-31-13 at 08:00 AM. Reason: I'm dumb.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So slow that it is a blast.

Reliable enough.

Cheap to buy, upgrade, maintain.

I've done sport rides on one, I've done long distance highway commuting on one, I've done off roading on one.

I do miss mine, something about it made me remember how enjoyable the simple aspects of motorcycling can be.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I was recently watching the BWOM/Billmaa videos where they go to Alaska on KLRs. He did an after-action vid on the KLR and basically said he didn't like the bike much, said he would have much rather done it on a V-Strom. I found that interesting.

I had one. It was a decent bike but was pretty heavy. It is something I would never take off road besides a fire road type gig.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Most of my 'off-roading' WILL be on dirt roads/old logging & fire access roads, class VI NH roads. The simplicity & reliability of the KLR's really appeal to me. I'm leaning toward the 650 (over the more MX minded WRF/CRF/DRZ-types) simply because of my commute...

From what I've read the earlier new generation problems have been addressed. Thus my eye on the newer 2011...

The V-Strom just isn't for me. I'm leaning more toward something more off-road than the 'Strom. As capable as they are, the whole adventure look does nothing for me. I just can't see myself owning one right now...

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I had one. It was a decent bike but was pretty heavy. It is something I would never take off road besides a fire road type gig.
    Dude, you weigh like, 18 pounds!

The KLR is ugly...just like you!

Just buy the fuggin thing already. It would be perfect for your use it sounds like.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    The KLR is ugly...just like you!
    Careful, kid. You got my looks...

Buy Wills.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Buy Wills.
    I'm not tossing that thought away yet. But a 2011 with 1000 miles in the seemingly hard-to-find orange for just a bit more cake is a bit more appealing at the moment. Bone stock too, so I have a blank canvas on which to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Most of my 'off-roading' WILL be on dirt roads/old logging & fire access roads, class VI NH roads. The simplicity & reliability of the KLR's really appeal to me. I'm leaning toward the 650 (over the more MX minded WRF/CRF/DRZ-types) simply because of my commute...

From what I've read the earlier new generation problems have been addressed. Thus my eye on the newer 2011.../
    I had a 2006 KLR and talked to quite a few owners of the new gen. I got rid of my KLR because in contrast to your use, it was mostly on--road, and the acceleration, brakes and sensitivity to cross winds were significant negatives. And mine had a 320mm front brake, new pads and a SS brake line. I stopped at least five feet farther down the course than anyone else in an MSF course, but that might be the result of the tire section, as well.

The newer models initially had oil consumption issues which Kawasaki ignored - the factory line was apparently that a quart consumed in 1,000 miles was acceptable use. But the older ones didn't use much oil at all. The new model is also heavier and the weight wet is approaching some of the "Adventure" twins. Advrider or on the other forums undoubtedly have updates in infinite detail.

I found the whole "Doohickey" story to be greatly overblown. I sold my KLR with over 9,000 miles on it, no problems at all. The number of people who'd had problems on a poll I saw was actually quite low - 10% or so - and mostly the older models. Other than that, the engine is really robust. The quality of a lot of the hardware on the bike is really low quality: I replaced most of the fasteners and they even sell kits for that. That said, the saddle is not bad and the substantial fuel capacity handy.

Most of the people I know who are happy with their KLR use it just as you intend: a street-legal, highway capable bike that has the tires and ground clearance to handle rougher trails. They would probably be even happier with a DR650 but those are hard to find used. Some people swear by the DRZ350/DRZ400 and some at them, but that's another choice that seems to be fairly available.

The picture above really highlights the difference between "Adventure Drag" and off-road ground clearance. That said, almost everyone I know that spends much time riding on dirt is back on a 250. I learned this first hand when I took my son's XR100R up a dirt trail that I found a real struggle on a V-Strom, and was a piece of cake on a bike that could be dragged over logs....

Last edited by Garandman; 03-31-13 at 09:16 AM.

Good article on adventure bikes in cycle world. KLR came out on top.http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29...-stats-photos/

I absolutely loved my KLR! I had one of the new generation (didn't care for the looks of the older ones).

I made mine as dirt worthy as you could - and it was fine on the tougher stuff - definitely way more capable than just fire roads. I wouldn't want it on tough single track, but average single track I had no issues.

Even with full on knobbies and geared down - it was still great on the street. It's not fast, but everything else it did just fine. I highly recommend them for a great "all arounder". I had full bags for mine (side cases and a top case) and used it a lot for errands locally.

School of KLR's-dsc00275_550-jpg

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    Good article on adventure bikes in cycle world. KLR came out on top.http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29...-stats-photos/
    Unpossible. The Triumph 800XC is the King of All Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    /Even with full on knobbies and geared down - it was still great on the street. It's not fast, but everything else it did just fine. I highly recommend them for a great "all arounder". I had full bags for mine (side cases and a top case) and used it a lot for errands locally.
    What did you go to for sprockets? They all seem geared impossibly high for rough going as equipped from the factory.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-31-13 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    What did you go to for sprockets? They all seem geared impossibly high for rough going as equipped from the factory.
    I forget off hand, I know I went down one in front, not sure if I went up in rear or not.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    Love the chart at the bottom with the compression ratios. The klr is the only one below a 10:1
    FILL 'ER UP WITH THE CHEAP STUFF.

what are the ratios of your riding?

ie. - street/fire road/trails/sand, etc.

Lifer

Kawi's website says the newest KLR is 432 lbs wet. That is way, way better than my 'strom. I have found the 'strom is way, way too much metal to be hoisting around even on class VI's. Although I wonder if ~432 is light enough.

What's your commute? 101 E/W to/from Manch? Yeah, I am not sure I'd want to do that on a 250 either.

Tough pickle.

I think you need (at least) two bikes. I know I do.

Edit: Web says the DRZ400 weighs in closer to 325 lbs....

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-31-13 at 12:03 PM.

Route 28 up Alton way down to Manch via Hooksarkansas...

Might also want to take a look at a Suzuki DR650. It's a lot lighter than the KLR, better off pavement, and pretty damn bulletproof. And there are tons of aftermarket bits to fit your needs, whether that may be a larger fuel tank for increased ADV range, or supermoto wheels for sharper on-pavement handling, or anything in between.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I have owned a 1984 KLR 600 (last of the kick start only, small tank versions), a 1996 DR350 (street legal off-road-only version), a 2000 DRZ400s, and a 1996 DR650. The DR 350 was the best off road machine. The DRZ was too heavy and tall, with a ridiculously uncomfortable seat, and the 5-speed transmission was limiting. The KLR was stone reliable (same basic motor as a newer one). The DR650 was easily the best street bike. The DR350 was the best do-it-all machine. I did ride an "S" model DR350 later, and it was much heavier than the one I had - still a decent bike, though.
    I like KLR's. Like most have mentioned here - they are very reliable, have tremendous range, and are very comfortable for daily use. If I had to chose between a KLR 650 and a DR650, I would probably take the DR, simply because its engine is a real gem - easy to work on, and decent power is only a jet kit/air box mod away. It would need a seat, and a large tank in order to be directly compared to a KLR, though. Being shorter, I also enjoyed the factory lowering option of the DR.

Honestly I'd find a first Gen KLR like my old one for about $1200, then do tires, front pads, ricor intiminators and a jet kit. Run it for 7 or 8 years, then sell it for what you have into it. That's what I did. They hold their value VERY well.

Nikon's is a good specimen but I just can't agree on the price. I got $1700 for mine fully farkled out, ready to ride, with the milk crate.

I'd gear it up actually. I went up one tooth in the front and down 2 in the back and it really made it do 75-85mph all day long on the highway without a sweat. Plus the fuel economy was superb.

New ones may have some "issues" worked out, but they also have their own issues. I'd go with the older gen for the price and the insubstantial "upgrades" to the second gen.

Last edited by TheIglu; 03-31-13 at 06:31 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast