Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Great Hi-Viz debate of 2012

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think Hi-Viz gear looks gay but it makes me feel safe

7 26.92%
  • I just think Hi-Viz gear is gay and wouldn't wear it

6 23.08%
  • I don't give a shit/I already voted on a similar poll

8 30.77%
  • Keith should keep riding even though he had a scary brush with death

13 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi-Viz poll

Hi-Viz poll

Okay...let's make this official (even though I'm sure we had a poll for this already)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by sdog30; 03-09-12 at 03:50 PM.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Re: Hi-Viz poll

wheres the poll?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I'm more curious why you keep calling everything gay? Is there something you want to share with us?

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    wheres the poll?
    Sorry...I'm not as good with "polls" as some people on here

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Your poll sucks, wait what...

I'm not one to tell a man like keith what to do. Besides his reply would be totally off the wall anyhow.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Wearing high-vis gear makes rational sense. But riding in the first place doesn't, really. Each of us picks our own level of risk, comfort, and reward. Some ride in traffic without helmets; others ride only on the track in full gear. My own level involves riding, anywhere and any weather that the roads aren't icy, always in full helmet/jacket/gloves/boots, but usually not in riding pants, and not in high-vis gear. Personal choice.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

D!

ALL OF THE ABOVE

nedirtriders.com

I think Hi-Viz gear might give a fall sense of safety; if you assume because you have it on you are more likely to be seen.

Best defense is driving defensively. Shit happens.... No matter what you are wearing or not wearing.

'02 F4i

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    I think Hi-Viz gear might give a fall sense of safety; if you assume because you have it on you are more likely to be seen.

Best defense is driving defensively. Shit happens.... No matter what you are wearing or not wearing.
    Yeah, I totally put on my hi-viz helmet and disregard the years of learning I've had. It's amazing, sometimes I even forget how to ride a motorcycle!

If your gear changes the way you handle other traffic, you're doing something wrong. I feel more secure knowing I'm doing the best I can to be as visible as possible, but that doesn't change the fact that I still (and always will) ride like I'm completely invisible.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-6R View Post
    Just like the choice to be gay or not gay
    Actually, that has a very strong inborn genetic component. But who knows, maybe so does your gear preference. Or maybe it's related to being (or not being) a host for Toxoplasma gondii. I wonder if there is a positive correlation between high-risk sports and cat ownership.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Yeah, I totally put on my hi-viz helmet and disregard the years of learning I've had. It's amazing, sometimes I even forget how to ride a motorcycle!
    ...pretty sure I didn't say anything along the lines of that.....

'02 F4i

If your gear changes the way you handle other traffic, you're doing something wrong. I feel more secure knowing I'm doing the best I can to be as visible as possible, but that doesn't change the fact that I still (and always will) ride like I'm completely invisible.
    X2, couldn't have said it better myself. I wear a Hi Viz jacket but I still ride like everyone is going to hit me.

Jeff

security is a state of mind

fwiw Hi-Vis is the ONLY feature of protective gear that can help prevent accidents in the first place, other features of protective gear only protect after the accident happens

best way to avoid injury is to avoid the accident to begin with, so wear a bright colored tee shirt

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    so wear a bright colored tee shirt
    How about bright colored flip flops?

Jeff

...pretty sure I didn't say anything along the lines of that.....
    I will spell out when I'm being sarcastic next time, sorry.

You said wearing hi-viz gear means you assume you will be seen. All of my years of riding on the street has ingrained in me that nobody sees me, and I must always be ready. I assume others have learned similar things (due to people saying it all the time). Why would the color of my clothing make me think "nah, we don't have to worry about that anymore!"? It's not just about color. It's also about size, speed perception, field of view, etc. None of those perils go away, and anybody that thinks hi-viz makes you invincible is an idiot (I've never heard someone claiming that it's a miracle cure for shitty drivers).

'90 Yamaha XT350

From a previous thread:

17% always wear hi-viz gear.
    22% wear it sometimes.
    16% never wear it because of how it looks.
    45% never wear it, for other reasons.

Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about....

Being gay has nothing to do with genes.

The HGP was completed in 2003 and found 153,000,000 nucleic base pairs that code for 1168 expressible genes for the X chromosome and 50,000,000 base pairs and 251 genes for the Y chromosome . Since 2004, numerous genomic labs have searched for the 'gay gene' and the final results published by The National Center for Biotechnology state 'neither the map for the X nor the Y chromosome contains any “gay gene".'

and the whole Toxoplasma comment just further confirmed the lack of knowledge in your statement.

As a good friend always says...

Buh Bye!
    You're incredibly naive and ignorant if you really think being gay is a choice. They have shown that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to be gay (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?i...1#.T1p4K9kX7Kc)

Also, http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationshi...there-gay-gene

"Since sexual orientation is such a complex trait, we're never going to find any one gene that determines whether someone is gay or not," says Mustanski. "It's going to be a combination of various genes acting together as well as possibly interacting with environmental influences."
    Previous studies in male twins have suggested that between 40%-60% of the variability in sexual orientation is due to genes. The rest is thought to be due to environment and possibly other biologic but nongenetic causes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '90 Yamaha XT350

You said wearing hi-viz gear means you assume you will be seen

fwiw, that not what he said, you don't read well, Kaz posted that you will more LIKELY to be seen

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Uh no.

That shows where your head is at...

I was referring to being gay, like wearing hi-viz gear vs. not gay with no hi-viz gear per the thread.

Now on to the important stuff....

Did you read the conclusions of the manuscript that ABC quoted? of course not... you just did a google search and posted the first thing you found. Personally, I use MEDLINE, but then again... not everyone has access to this information so I'm not surprised. If you read the conclusions you would have never posted this comment...

Secondly, did you seriously try to prove at point by using WebMD, what a joke!!! why don't you just get all your information from Wikipedia, oh wait, you probably do! haha

Did you notice that the WebMD article is from 2005? 1 year after they started looking for the specific gene. Wow, some people.

Yeah, sources that I found in a quick google search for info that I read a long time ago are far inferior to your sources. Oh wait, you didn't include any. I'm not writing a fucking thesis here, I'm not going to research this topic just to prove you wrong. You're still naive and ignorant for thinking that being gay is a choice. If you've ever been friends with gay people (or been around them while they are growing up, as I have), you'd know that it's not a choice. But go ahead and keep on insulting people based on sexuality, it totally makes you the part of the cool kids.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '90 Yamaha XT350

hey you like apple's how do like them apple's LMAO

Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about....

Being gay has nothing to do with genes.

The HGP was completed in 2003 and found 153,000,000 nucleic base pairs that code for 1168 expressible genes for the X chromosome and 50,000,000 base pairs and 251 genes for the Y chromosome . Since 2004, numerous genomic labs have searched for the 'gay gene' and the final results published by The National Center for Biotechnology state 'neither the map for the X nor the Y chromosome contains any “gay gene".'

and the whole Toxoplasma comment just further confirmed the lack of knowledge in your statement.

As a good friend always says...

Buh Bye!
    I was mostly playing around there, thus the smiley.

However, if you're going to get all bunched up in the panties about it: (a) while the genes haven't been identified, there have been found differences in the brains and the bodies, correlated with sexual orientation, that are almost certainly genetic in origin, (b) the genome has been mapped, but FAR from decoded; we don't know what most of the genes do yet individually, much less in combinations, and (c) there are 22 other chromosome pairs full of genes. The scientific consensus is that sexual orientation almost certainly has a strong genetic component.

The Toxoplasmosis comment was mainly in fun, but carries a grain of truth -- it does affect behavior in rats, favoring risky behaviors. It has not been shown to do the same thing specifically in humans, but it does infect humans, and there are people seriously studying the possibilities for human behavioral effects and its potential effect on human society development. So there's no lack of knowledge behind my statement -- it's a joke based on real knowledge.

Regardless, have a nice weekend, and don't get run over by a gay cat owner without high-vis gear on a 'busa.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-09-12 at 05:27 PM.

2. I never said being homosexual is a choice. I used the word 'gay' which actually just means 'happy'
    3. I have a gay friend or two (sdog30 & lxpony)
    4. I never insulted anyone for being 'gay'
    Ok then, keep having fun with your little word games then. Gay is not used as happy in this poll (it is clearly meant to be an insult). You used the word gay in a thread where the context clearly didn't mean happy. And yet you really think people are going to believe that you meant happy?

The last part wasn't so much directed at you, as it was directed at the people who seem to think it's the only way to describe hi-viz gear and the people who wear hi-viz gear. At least work on a clever insult, calling everything gay is kinda gay (that was a tongue in cheek joke for those of you that feel the need to be critical of every sentence)

'90 Yamaha XT350

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

You're incredibly naive and ignorant if you really think being gay is a choice. They have shown that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to be gay (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?i...1#.T1p4K9kX7Kc)

Also, http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationshi...there-gay-gene
    Jeff- didn't you say you were the youngest of 7 brothers in your family?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast