Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Highsided pretty good at the motomarket track day today

Highsided pretty good at the motomarket track day today

Today I celebrated my 10th track day by performing a spectacular high-side.

It was a rainy day so the track was wet. Luckily (maybe not so luckily), when I bought my track bike last year, the owner threw in a set of rims with brand new rain tires on it.

So, here was my chance to try out the rain race rubber.

I ran in the fast group, and the first session was a bit sketchy due to the mold sealant, but once it scrubbed off, I started to gain a lot of confidence.

By the second session, I was doing a pretty good pace, and even passed a few people. I never felt the tires slip even once and could help but think how amazing these rain tires were.

In the 3rd session, I started getting my knee down in the wet in turns 2, 6, 9, and 12. Still, not a sign of slippage - and I'm going 80-85% of my dry pace here. "Amazing!" I thought "I'm dragging knee in the rain, how effin cool! These rain tires are fucking amazing!"

By the 4th session I started to feel like I was Valentino fucking Rozzi, as I was leaving everyone in the dust.... the tires just seemed to grip relentlessly and I'm now giving it about 90% of what I'd do in dry conditions... and then it happened.

I was exiting turn 2, 3rd gear, the throttle was probably about 75% open. Then, all of a sudden my rear end starts swinging around. Before I know it, I'm staring into the infield as my bike is now cocked a good 90 degrees to the left and I'm essentially sliding sideways perpendicular to the track. At that instant, I remember thinking "Hmmm, this isn't going to end well..." Then the tires caught some traction and BOING. I saw a bright light for a microsecond and though "Hm, that's odd..." then my pupils quickly re-adjusted and I realized that everything was so bright because apparently I was looking at the sky. After "hovering" for what seemed like a lot longer than a fraction of a second, I landed on my back and watched my bike sliding down the tarmac next to me. When the action stopped, I got up, and noted the sharp pain in my left foot. I decided not to deal with the bike and hopped off the track... eventually they red-flagged the session courtesy me and the ambulance gave me a ride back to the pit area.

In the aftermath, thankfully my foot wasn't broken, but is badly sprained. (pic attached) I'm on crutches for a few days, but at least I got a prescription for some oxys.

The bike faired much better than I did. Just bent one of the footpegs and ground off a bit of the sliders, rashed some of the already rashed plastics, and ripped the throttle grip a bit. Probably $100 of damage.

Definitely a lot of first for me today:

1st time doing a track day in the rain.
    1st time dragging knee in the rain.
    1st time crashing at the track.
    1st time injuring myself during a crash.

Main lesson learned: Overconfidence hurts... when you try to push the limits, eventually the limits will push back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by WOTEugene; 06-07-08 at 12:46 AM.

Re: Highsided pretty good at the motomarket track day today

Quote Originally Posted by WOTEugene View Post
    I'm on crotches for a few days
    That sounds like a wonderful place!

Heal up quick Eugene!

hope you heal up quick. waiting to see how many people jump on the fact that you are on "I'm on croches for a few days"

Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

Eugene... Glad to hear you're mostly alright. That ankle looks nasty!

Highsides scare the shit out of me. Luckily I haven't had one yet (knocks on wood).

P.s. I crashed your suit and blew out a seam

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    P.s. I crashed your suit and blew out a seam
    Bummer. Was the suite salvageable? Where'd you crash, track or Deal's Gap?

Bummer. Was the suite salvageable? Where'd you crash, track or Deal's Gap?
    I think the suit is salvageable... I gave it to Denno to give to Roberto. I'm VERY happy with the suit btw... fits great now that I put a few track days in it.

I crashed at NHMS... had to cancel my trip to the gap/jennings/etc... super bummed.

Here's all the details:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...s-the-bad.html

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

wow...you look like you have a cankle

sorry to hear that you crashed...but I'm really impressed that you were dragging knee in the rain! that must've been crazy!

and thanks for the tip on overconfidence...I'm doing my 3rd track day in July, and I'll def. keep that in mind

bummer dude, glad to hear your ok....

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Awesome ankle!!!!
    That is some serious swelling, glad you're ok and that it didn't break. What boots were you wearing?
    My first track day was in the rain (April 28), and I decided to play Marco Melandri out of the Chicane into the straight, didn't loose it, but put her out there pretty good, scared the shit outta myself!
    Heal up quick.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    Awesome ankle!!!!
    That is some serious swelling, glad you're ok and that it didn't break. What boots were you wearing?
    Sidi Vertigo Corsa's... Sure am glad I had them on.

Sidi Vertigo Corsa's... Sure am glad I had them on.
    Glad they didn't fit me and I didn't buy them from you.... you woulda been screwed!

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Dude, Rain tires allow you to crash while going faster in the wet! They sure are fun though. Sorry about you cankle...

The nascar oval up high is like ice regardless of tires. A little late, but now you know.

It's amazing how fast first timers are on rains! They will go smokin right past racers who win in the rain all the time. It's only a matter time before they get slammed into the ground and their pace is adjusted accordingly.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The nascar oval up high is like ice regardless of tires. A little late, but now you know.
    I normally like turn 2 a lot in the dry, lots of fun powering out of it hard. I know I'm not close to the limits, but it's a fun turn.

But MAN, at the wet track day, it was a completely different beast. Rear end sliding all over the place, I came to expect it every lap. The rain brought out all kinds of characteristics of the turn that aren't as clear in the dry.

I also found I needed to apex it about 10 feet away from the curb... the tight apex line was pure trouble waiting to happen.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

CEO, The rain line through 2 is: set up as far right as you can (right of my X) and head TIGHT to the curbing at the apex. There's a 10" patch that has really good traction, but if your knee isn't well over the curb, you'll hit the puddle and hydroplane. This line lets you exit lower on the NASCAR banking where there is a little more traction for accelerating.

10 feet away from the curb will take you around the puddle, but you can't carry any speed and will fall as soon as you try to tighten your line. Also, you'll hit a bigger transition bump and get on the glassy pavement to soon, preventing any throttle application whatsoever. I'd try something different next time out...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    CEO, The rain line through 2 is: set up as far right as you can (right of my X) and head TIGHT to the curbing at the apex. There's a 10" patch that has really good traction, but if your knee isn't well over the curb, you'll hit the puddle and hydroplane. This line lets you exit lower on the NASCAR banking where there is a little more traction for accelerating.

10 feet away from the curb will take you around the puddle, but you can't carry any speed and will fall as soon as you try to tighten your line. Also, you'll hit a bigger transition bump and get on the glassy pavement to soon, preventing any throttle application whatsoever. I'd try something different next time out...
    Thanks for the tip, Paul. I guess with some concentration on keeping it that tight, that line makes sense. The transition 10 ft out that you mentioned is what got the rear all squirrelly, even with light arms and weighting the pegs. Certainly not the pretty way to do it.

Next time out... I just hope it's dry again

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103