Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

highway robbery-- NHDMV

Re: highway robbery-- NHDMV

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    The State sets the rate, of which a small portion goes to the garage performing the inspection.
    um, NO, the garage sets their own labor rate, for the inspection, based on time, the state gets a small fee for the stickers

the station I go to has been getting $45 for several years

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

..and Seacoast, an exotic eyetalian brand shop, was charging $30 recently. (May still charge that.)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ..and Seacoast, an exotic eyetalian brand shop, was charging $30 recently. (May still charge that.)
    I actually feel guilty about getting my bike inspected there, because they do spend a serious amount of time really inspecting it -- way more time than they charge for. OTOH, at my bike's age and condition, getting a good annual inspection is a really good idea. And they do usually find a couple things that need attention, so that helps make up for it. (Just to be clear, I have every confidence they are being honest; my bike in fact does usually need some attention.)

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    If you think the registration is bad wait till u get it inspected,, that worthless cow Hassan jacked the inspection fee on motorcycles. It now cost $30 to inspect a bike in NH, which considering how long it actually takes is nothing but an a$$ fucking, courtesy of NH .GOV. No reply from her or her drones when I complained to her either, arrogant bitch.
    You should call a bunch of places and get estimates. If you're paying $30 for a shop that just puts a sticker on, then yes, you are getting ripped off. As Randy ponderously alluded to, a good station and/or professional tech will look at things you never consider to keep your ass from getting crippled. There's a balance between checking way too little and being a dick that only passes a bike that is 100% factory perfect. I've had a couple people come unglued when I wouldn't sticker bikes with straight pipes, or no turn signals, or most unsettling, completely delaminating 25 year old OEM tires. The belts were broken and shifted, and I could see the cords through the 1/4" deep cracks. They didn't care, wanted to ride that weekend. It holds air for a few days, what's the problem??

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Shops around here seem all over the map.

I had a very affordable, nearly-no-questions-asked, anything-goes guy in a quonset hut with the US Marine flag out front for a while. Used to like to get him and his helper started about "those damned democrats" and then sit back and listen to the fireworks. One day he discovered jesus and his prices just about doubled over night.

Local dealer was pretty laid back. Although he did fail me for no chain guard on a dual sport. He was also expensive. (Something like $45/bike.)

Now I have a guy that mostly does auto body repair. Usually has something nice to look at just outside his paint booth. Last time it was a '30-something Ford, as I recall. Reasonable money for the sticker, reasonably through without being a stickler. And is usually willing to call out things he sees, I nod "thanks, I hadn't noticed that" and I get my sticker anyway. There is also a neat little class 6 road between me and him.

But I was surprised when I saw what Seacoast charges. I expected more. Too far away to be convenient for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Too far away to be convenient for me though.
    I go where I do because of convienience, it doesn't really cost me more, barter is a wonderful thing.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123