Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

hilarious dumbassery

hilarious dumbassery

That super-warm day we had last week prompted an attempt to get the SM wheel back on the Husky. The attempt failed...not sure how I even got the chain onto the sprocket of the enduro wheel but I just could not manage to get the chain off it again, even after loosening everything and sliding the axle as far forward as I could.

This led to my trying to get the bike onto the (sweet, thanks again) Kendon single-rail trailer that I picked up from a fellow NESR member last year or the year before. Turns out the Husky wheelbase is maybe a little too long to make the Pitbull TRS bits work out in its favor? Could easily be that I'm just a dumbass though (keep reading).

So I get the bike stood up mostly-straight, feed some straps through the bottom clamp of the triples, ratchet the thing down a bit. Gave it some good side-to-side wiggles; seems like it definitely won't fall off. And hey I'm only going from Somerville to Arlington, should be fine.

Well, it wasn't quite fine enough. A few blocks from GBM, I'm pulling away from a red light and the sumbitch topples ass-over-teakettle into the street. Broad daylight in front of g-d and everyone, soccer-mom mouths agape as far as the eye can see. I had some Bach blasting on the stereo too, so the "look at this fukken guy" vibes were strong. A passer-by jogged over to make sure everything was alright. Yeah dude it's cool; sometimes it be like this, but thanks.

Luckily it was the Husky, which it turns out crashes hella well. I broke both right-side turn signal lenses (and it dislodged the right-side trailer brake light on the way down, womp womp) but overall it's fine.

Anyway, "it happened to me!" Triple-check them straps, yo.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: hilarious dumbassery

But did you say "That's not going anywhere" when you tied it down? THat is key.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Just so I understand correctly. You put it into a TRS and it flipped backwards?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The bike didn't go far enough forward for the TRS to engage at all, so I removed all the TRS bits and only tied down the front. It was a half-assed job by my own standards, and well, the results speak for themselves. Given the tiny damage, the example and story are (almost) worth it?

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Lol'ing hard. Not exactly, but I'm pretty sure "ok...ok...good enough!" was uttered.

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    The bike didn't go far enough forward for the TRS to engage at all, so I removed all the TRS bits and only tied down the front. It was a half-assed job by my own standards, and well, the results speak for themselves. Given the tiny damage, the example and story are (almost) worth it?
    Ah I see.

I've had enough bad experiences with tow straps and eliminated myself as a variable years ago by committing to the TRS ecosystem and have been a happy user since.

Still very paranoid towing my car however, to the point where I've setup a "baby cam" inside the trailer to keep an eye on it and make sure cargo isn't moving around.

No pictures though??? I know it's the last thing you think about in embarrassing situations but it's worth it in the end to look back on and laugh.

Legit I came to comment this.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol'ing hard. Not exactly, but I'm pretty sure "ok...ok...good enough!" was uttered.
    Woof. Might as well not even tie down at all.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

After having the same problem, I bought the cycle cynch. No more oops events.

That super-warm day we had last week prompted an attempt to get the SM wheel back on the Husky. The attempt failed...not sure how I even got the chain onto the sprocket of the enduro wheel but I just could not manage to get the chain off it again, even after loosening everything and sliding the axle as far forward as I could.
    You could have simply pulled the axle out to get the chain off. That’s the way I used to do it when swapping my KTM from SM to Enduro.

Yamaha

I hope you flicked the straps like a guitar spring, slapped the seat, and then said it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You could have simply pulled the axle out to get the chain off.
    At one point I *did* pull the axle, but then the wheel/sprocket sank down into the chain while the brake disc pushed forward into the rear caliper, and the overall vibe was not interpreted as "this is better." I'm sure I missed something obvious here.

-Jared

Living just off a major artery to the Lakes Region, I can't count how many times I've seen bikes tipped over in trailers. We've even helped at least a few right their errors. Of the handful we've personally helped, most of them strapped their bikes down while on the sidestand. ON THE FUCKIN' SIDESTAND!

While all above mentioned measures will surely help keep your bike be safe, sticking your tongue out slightly through mostly closed lips while you're strapping it down helps immensely.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Pasting from the tales of personal stupidity thread -

We all do dumb things. Share your motorcycle related bonehead moves here. I'll start -

Trailered my bike home from the shop the other day. Trailer can be loaded by a single person but the mechanic was pretty cool and walked it up the trailer for me. I usually just push it (note, this will be important later)

When i got it home I could not roll it off! It seemed like the piece that flips forward to lock the front wheel into the chock would not flip back to let the bike out. Bad times - the trailer was blocking my driveway. I live in Somerville, narrow one way street with parking on both sides so there was no way I was going to back the trailer out so I could access my commuter vehicle. This could turn into a real s-show

I got a friend and my neighbor and we were trying to roll the bike back and it just would not move. Finally, I took that little locking piece out and still the bike would not roll backward. WTF! Oh wait, the mechanic walked the bike up the trailer. Yeah, its still in gear. No wonder it wouldn't roll back. Take it out of gear and the bike rolls off without a problem

I was smh at my stupidity for days

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I haven't gone that far, but have definitely yanked at my bike for a while thinking the slick was stuck when it was really in gear

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D