Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hit n' Run Route 17 (vermont) - Non Fatal

Well, here I was enjoying my day and heading south to my girlfriends apartment. I stopped in wiliston to pick up some cortech saddle bags for a planned upcoming trip and then decided to hit up rt 17 for a little while until my girlfriend got out of work. I was at the base of the side near the interstate coming around a sharp right hand, I was doing the limit or under, was taking it easy to make sure road was clear and I remembered all the corners (only been there a few times). Just as im coming around I see silver, headlights, subaru (I think) emblem on my side or the road, mayabe 1-4 / 1-2 in my lane. I leaned harder (Thanks MSF ) into the turn to try to miss him, gave it a little gas. I either gave it too much or leaned to much because I went down. Its a bit hazy, I kinda only remember parts. Either way I remember sliding on ground, my bike just barely missed his car and/or hit the back of his becuase next thing I know im skitting uphil and my bike is twirling down the road. I didnt skid TOO far, but far enough to get a little rash on my knee. I was wearing helmet/leather jacket/gloves/boots/jeans. I had a pair of over pants which would have reduced my injuries to almost nothing but like a scrub I was in a hurry to get going and just wore jeans. Anyway when I got to my feet I dragged my bike to the side of the road, inspected damage. (pics to come) I expected to see some guy come running up the road like "OMG OMG OMG ARE YOU OKAY?)....Nope just the sound of him driving off in the distance.

Anyway long story short. Gear trashed, me not, just some rash on my knee and some bruises.

Some bikers (god bless em') stopped, helped me out, ran off to call the police and my girlfriend.

The faygit got away nice and clear (the first guy to help me actually saw the car at the top of the hill I guess but didnt obviously take notice of anyting specific), I get to pick up the bill.

Most likely due to the cost im out for this year, ill be back strong next year~~~

Sorry for the rant style post, still all freaking out etc.

-Justin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Freak

That sucks man, sorry to hear it.
    Glad you weren't hurt too bad

Kinda sounds like my first trip over there. Cars and bikes crossing the center line. I didn't go down, but a WRX took out a beemer pretty hard that day. Glad you're okay for the most part.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Lifer

That sucks on many fronts. First that you went down - thankfully it sounds like your pride is hurt more then your knee or anything else. And that the guy who came over into your lane didn't stop at the scene.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Glad your not hurt anymore than you were. I've nearly been taken out by the WRX fags a coupla times up there........ If you need a hand working on your bike let me know. Regards, Jake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Glad your not hurt anymore than you were. I've nearly been taken out by the WRX fags a coupla times up there........ If you need a hand working on your bike let me know. Regards, Jake
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am going to go get the bike in the next day or two, and try to get an idea of the damage in $$ amount. I have a 5/10 mechanical skill , but between my Haynes manual and a little luck and help it shouldn't be too bad. I plan on putting it up on the stands till this winter, I have a month off in December and thats probably when I will do most of the work.

My sleepless nights had me come up with a few plans:
    A) Fix up the bike and ride it
    B) Leave it as a project and someday a race bike when im ready
    C) Trade it in at the local yama dealer towards a new one (if he would take and fix himself)

-Justin

Glad to read you are ok.

Wish I had been with you, I would have run them down for you.

On a good note, with your standard Vt insurance you should be covered up to 10K in this situation.

Call your insurance Co and check it out.

Plus you also automatacially have a mininimum of 5 K to use for your injuries.

You should fall under the uninsured motorist clause with the police report, if you have one regarding the incident.

TIMMYDUCK

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Glad to read you are ok.

On a good note, with your standard Vt insurance you should be covered up to 10K in this situation.

You should fall under the uninsured motorist clause with the police report, if you have one regarding the incident.

Especially the running the bastard down part. I'd have had some of Hinesburg and Bristol's finest looking for the prick.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Glad to read you are ok.

I haven't called insurance yet, been kinda depressed about it all. The statey said it would be up to two weeks before the report was in the system but they could call him anytime and ask and he gave me a file number. I have just basic liability with all-state, so I dont think I am covered. I knew I should have gone full coverage but just couldnt really affort the extra with last year of college and all. Stupid colleges give you great packages for the first few years but longer you are there the less they do as they know they have you on the hook.

-Justin.

What Timmy is telling you is there is a provision in YOUR liability policy to cover uninsured motorists as well as hit and runs.

Contact your insurance people of the hit and run etc.....

YOU DEFINITELY GOT TAPPED BY HIS REAR QUARTER NOT ALMOST OR MAYBE

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    What Timmy is telling you is there is a provision in YOUR liability policy to cover uninsured motorists as well as hit and runs.

Contact your insurance people of the hit and run etc.....

+1 - Don't lie, but be sure and consistant. You have uninsured motorist coverage to cover things just like this. Get a copy of the police report as soon as it is ready.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Not the first I've heard about WRX kids drifting into oncoming lanes on RT 17. I'd get in contact with a few body shops to see if anyone is doing work on a rear WRX quarter panel.

Well I contacted my insurance agent and you guys are right, there is a ten thousand dollar coverage. The coverage is basically for my bike and saddle bags, but may or may not cover my gear. I'm giving the trooper till friday until I call and find out how things are going. I'm not going to call and fill out a claim with my insurance until I find out what's going on with the trooper's report. I did check and found out that there aren't any deadlines or time restraints so I can wait as long as I need to get things in order.

As far as the accident and the quarter panel I honestly don't remember, it's kind of patchy... What I mean is I remember very clearly is looking through the corner, coming up around and seeing silver rushing at me. I pushed harder to lean into the turn, gave it a little gas. I remember hitting the ground then seeing my bike go across the road spinning and the tail got stuck under the guard rail. I skidded uphill, while I was skidding I glanced up hill and didnt see traffic. I immiditely rushed over to the side of the road and got to my bike. I ripped off my helmet, starting looking around and saying a few choice words. Realized he wasnt coming back and tried to get my bike rolling...then people came/cops etc.

The unknown biker who helped me, did see a silver vehicle traveling down before he headed but there wasnt any traffic till the cop headed up, so no plates / make etc.

Im going to go pick up my bike now, ill post up picks of the damage later.

Thanks for all the support. +1

-Justin D

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    +1 - Don't lie, but be sure and consistant. You have uninsured motorist coverage to cover things just like this. Get a copy of the police report as soon as it is ready.
    I definantly know not to lie, thats the stupid thing especially when its not my fault! As I told the trooper, there are parts that stick out, it happened so fast and I was freaked out I dont remember everything...I know that sounds like a line but its true... >.<

-Justin

there are 'squids' behind the wheels of WRXs or any other car for that matter just like there are squids that ride.

glad you weren't hurt. karma is a bitch and that driver will get theirs.

sorry to hear about your accident. glad you didnt get hurt worse then you did. i agree with bump, karmas a bitch

Well Captain Honest

Tell the story without the impact and they will say

Nice lowside but we only cover accidents not near misses

Of course in the scheme of things You did not get hurt so not so bad overall

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Sorry to hear about the accident. They're not uncommon on the App Gap, as I'm sure you know.

I used to love that road, but I've begun to like it less due to traffic, bicyclists, and the rapidly deteriorating pavement. Plus I found a road that I like better.

Have you checked out any of the other gaps? None of them are as tight as the App Gap, but some really nice twisties nonetheless.

--mark