Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

i like HJC

I Dance With Will

i like HJC

i like the new HJC C-15 helmet style. i like the $70 price more but dame they don't have blue or black.

HJC CL-15 "Orbit"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

i like HJC

personaly i think budget helmets suck... but they are better than nothing.

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    but they are better than nothing.
    It's Snell approved so it will certainly protect your mellon.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

i like HJC

Buddha was wearing a Polycarbonate helmet when he crashed in 3. Ask him what he remembers about it.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

i like HJC

i wasn't implying that it wouldn't protect your head... just that budget helmets suck. the vents, the fit, the faceshields functionality, that sort of thing.

...and i'm still not convinced that a polycarbonate helmet is as good as a composit one, despite what snell says. i've seen and heard enough first hand accounts at the track that i'm convinced i won't be putting my head in one.

...than again if that's all you can afford, go for it. a cheap helmet still beats none

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    i wasn't implying that it wouldn't protect your head... just that budget helmets suck. the vents, the fit, the faceshields functionality, that sort of thing.

...and i'm still not convinced that a polycarbonate helmet is as good as a composit one, despite what snell says. i've seen and heard enough first hand accounts at the track that i'm convinced i won't be putting my head in one.

...than again if that's all you can afford, go for it. a cheap helmet still beats none

agreed

that's why i give those helmets to my passengers... girls who cant remember anything are hawt

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

i like HJC

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

i like HJC

HJC helmets fit my head better than any other brand. I have one that is five years old and I can't stop wearing it because its so comfy.

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    HJC helmets fit my head better than any other brand. I have one that is five years old and I can't stop wearing it because its so comfy.
    Talk to Mic (zombie) he is trying to unload a brand new HJC large, spies relica helmet...it doesnt fit my head right or i wouldve got it

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

I Dance With Will

i like HJC

they're about $150 at the store. i have (2) CL-14 but i'll buy a CL-15 if it's half price and newer slicker model.

the one im using right now only scratch little bit from last crash test.

"fuckit!"

Littering and........

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth R6 View Post
    Talk to Mic (zombie) he is trying to unload a brand new HJC large, spies relica helmet...it doesnt fit my head right or i wouldve got it
    Cool, I will. And then maybe I can "borrow" it and never give it back like the helmet he "loaned" me at VIR.

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    Cool, I will. And then maybe I can "borrow" it and never give it back like the helmet he "loaned" me at VIR.
    this is why we can't have nice things chris

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

i like HJC

For What it is worth, I have had a cheap as crap Vega helmet that sucked, and an HJC Cl-14 that i thought was awesome and the best helmet in the world until i bought my Suomy Ventura and it is a much smaller shell, lighter, better vents and also better wind protection on my chin/neck when it is cold. The best part is that you can fine them brand new online for about $150 shipped if you look hard enough.

i like HJC

suomy - i love em - will always use em now

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

I Dance With Will

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    i crashed?

Kham I had the CL-14. I liked it until i got a level 3 concussion and was unresponsive at the concord ER for a few hours from only a minor bump.
    you can't prove that if you had aria on you still wouldn't get the same condition.

hey you need to learn how to crash or not to crash.

"fuckit!"

per-diem member lady flyin' low's Avatar

i like HJC

i own this helmet in silver/black

didn't get it for 70 bucks though

Lifer

i like HJC

i crashed?

Kham I had the CL-14. I liked it until i got a level 3 concussion and was unresponsive at the concord ER for a few hours from only a minor bump.
    Guess you don't remember my Ex that works in the ICU, that's too bad.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you can't prove that if you had aria on you still wouldn't get the same condition.
    With out getting into brand vs brand war here, there is no doubt, at least from my observations of 22 plus years of riding and racing, street, track, woods & MX, the more expensive, well known brands have fewer head injuries than the discount brands. The polycarbonate shells are fine for football and hockey, but I wouldn't put one on my dog. I know they pass the Snell & DOT tests, but most of the head injuries I've seen happened to people wearing discounted, off brand and/or polycarbonate shell helmets.

Head injuries are about the only thing that really scare me. Once you have one there is no going back. Broken bones heal, (I've had several) soft tissue damage can be repaired, even most spinal cord injuries can be worked around, (I build shocks for a mono-ski manufacturer that supplies several US Disabled Ski Team members), head injuries are a different deal. If you're not afraid of being spoon fed Gerber carrot puree and getting coloring books every Christmas, then buy the cheap helmet, put on a tank and flip flops and wheelie all the way to head injury hot line.

I will aways buy the best helmets from the most reputable manufacturers. Even my off road helmets cost several hundred dollars. Kham's statement is true there is no guarantee that any given brand WILL protect me better, just the fact it MIGHT is good enough for me.

Don't even start the whole street vs. racing bullshit either. Head injuries (in fact most injuries) are not caused by how fast you are going. They are caused by how fast you stop. Thirty MPH into the hood of a Buick is far more violent than 130 MPH into a gravel trap. Trust me, I've done both.

As far as I'm concerned you should buy the best helmet from a reputable manufacturer, that fits correctly. (Maybe we should have a helmet fitting seminar at my shop?) If you can't afford $500-$800 dollars to protect the one part of you can't be repaired or replaced, then you can't afford this sport. (brutal I know, but true).

I've been to one to many dead/injured rider funeral/benefit to argue about it. This will be my only post on the subject.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

i like HJC

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    With out getting into brand vs brand war here, there is no doubt, at least from my observations of 22 plus years of riding and racing, street, track, woods & MX, the more expensive, well known brands have fewer head injuries than the discount brands. The polycarbonate shells are fine for football and hockey, but I wouldn't put one on my dog. I know they pass the Snell & DOT tests, but most of the head injuries I've seen happened to people wearing discounted, off brand and/or polycarbonate shell helmets.

Head injuries are about the only thing that really scare me. Once you have one there is no going back. Broken bones heal, (I've had several) soft tissue damage can be repaired, even most spinal cord injuries can be worked around, (I build shocks for a mono-ski manufacturer that supplies several US Disabled Ski Team members), head injuries are a different deal. If you're not afraid of being spoon fed Gerber carrot puree and getting coloring books every Christmas, then buy the cheap helmet, put on a tank and flip flops and wheelie all the way to head injury hot line.

I will aways buy the best helmets from the most reputable manufacturers. Even my off road helmets cost several hundred dollars. Kham's statement is true there is no guarantee that any given brand WILL protect me better, just the fact it MIGHT is good enough for me.

Don't even start the whole street vs. racing bullshit either. Head injuries (in fact most injuries) are not caused by how fast you are going. They are caused by how fast you stop. Thirty MPH into the hood of a Buick is far more violent than 130 MPH into a gravel trap. Trust me, I've done both.

As far as I'm concerned you should buy the best helmet from a reputable manufacturer, that fits correctly. (Maybe we should have a helmet fitting seminar at my shop?) If you can't afford $500-$800 dollars to protect the one part of you can't be repaired or replaced, then you can't afford this sport. (brutal I know, but true).

I've been to one to many dead/injured rider funeral/benefit to argue about it. This will be my only post on the subject.
    now that's a good post

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

i like HJC

go and get your $70 helmet if it makes you happy. you worry about your head, I'll worry about mine.
    A $70 helmet would have been fine for you at the Drunk-A-Thon.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

i like HJC

Take note...

i crashed?

Quote Originally Posted by lady flyin' low View Post
    i own this helmet in silver/black

didn't get it for 70 bucks though

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

i like HJC

Hey Peter... A helmet fitting seminar would be a good thing. I have seen too many helmets roll off the head during a crash/accident on the street.

Either it was too big, strapped too loose or not strapped at all.

Nice having it off the head to scoop the brain matter back into but I would rather the brain matter had stayed in the head.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Littering and........

i like HJC

Serious question for gmdboston and anyone else with useful knowledge on the subject:

My head has never fit well in anything other than an HJC. I have an AGV right now that was roughly $350, but it seems to shallow, like my chin pokes out the bottom. Before that, I had a $700 Arai, which was too narrow no matter what I did with the foam inside. I have tried on Suomys and Sharks, and neither seems to fit me well either (though I dont remember how.)

So - which is safer? An HJC that fits well and carries the same ratings (higher end HJC, if there is such a thing) and fits perfectly comfortably, or a spendy Arai that is uncomfortably tight but presumably made better?

i like HJC

HJC makes fiberglass type helmets.

HJC AC-12 Elbowz Carbon Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough Motorcycle Apparel

Also (and I am sure you know this) Arai has different shells. My head fits in a Arai Quantum but not in an Arai Profile... Have you tried different models?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I Dance With Will

i like HJC

HJC is for round head people. HJC CL-14 - webBikeWorld

i'll read these when i have time.

Motorcycle Helmet FAQ - webBikeWorld

note:
    "That issue contains a detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R (wBW review) to the $700.00 Schuberth S1 (wBW review). Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved Scorpion EXO-700. "

the lower the G the better i take it and "polycarbonate".

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

"fuckit!"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast