Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone use a HJC AC-12 carbon or FS-15

Anyone use a HJC AC-12 carbon or FS-15

Like the title states does anyone have any experiance with them, webbikeworld.com seems to rave about them.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/fs-15/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/hjc/carbon/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone use a HJC AC-12 carbon or FS-15

Funny you should ask. I bought a HJC FS-15 this years model. Was looking at Arai, Shoie, etc. Could not be happier with the Carbon lid. Looks great. Fits my :profile type head shape awsome A little trouble with the double latching shield but otherwise great fit and finish. This helmet is so light I thought the box was empty when it arrived. Average venting and noise levels. I would by another.

I've been using HJC lids (CL-SP, AC-12) for the past few years and I've been very happy with them. They are not the quietest helmets, but I always ride with earplugs so it's a moot point.

Be warned, there are a lot of HJC haters on here

High maintenance priss

Deja vu... Link

I posted a couple comments near the end of that thread. Not bad, but at different level than Shoei, Arai, etc...

Thumbs up Re: Anyone use a HJC AC-12 carbon or FS-15

I've owned a few HJC helmets. I've always liked the fit, but the finish quality was a step down from Arai and Shoei. This spring I bought a FS-15 Carbon (for <$300) and was very impressed with how much HJC has improved since I bought my last lid.

I don't think the carbon fiber shell is a gimmick. Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than other helmet shell material - that means better impact protection and lower weight. It's DOT and Snell certified, so I'd expect the energy absorption to be as good as any other lid. The build quality inside and out is fantastic. It's one of the lightest helmets made, has good ventilation, and is reasonably quiet (I always wear ear plugs anyway).

But the bottom line is how well the helmet fits your head is going to make a lot more of a difference in protecting your brain than the brand name. So make sure it fits!

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

I love my AC 12 Carbon - no fancy paint job, but it's super light.

Everybody to the limit!

It's just the shell. You know, it's like M&Ms. Sure, the shell is brightly colored. And it makes them melt in your mouth, not in your hand. But it's the chocolate that's the goodness.

Carbon fiber is lighter, that might help prevent whiplash somewhat as it decreases the mass of the stuff above your neck. Do people get whiplash from motorcycle wrecks? Or if you get a stiff neck from riding, a lighter helmet should help with that.

Lifer

It's a little hard to separate the hype from the reality with carbon fiber... all the good helmets are laminates of various materials. Who says CF is the best material for the laminate for a helmet? How do you measure how good a helmet is? Is weight the most important factor?

One thing is for sure is this helmet has allowed HJC to start charging the same high prices as Arai and Shoei.

I have the new copper colored FS-15 carbon. So far I love it. It looks awsome in the sun. As Terry put it "That helmet is pimp", lol.

But yeah I do feel the lighter weight in my neck, which is the main reason I bought it.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-20-09 at 10:34 AM.
    06 RC46

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    It's just the shell. You know, it's like M&Ms. Sure, the shell is brightly colored. And it makes them melt in your mouth, not in your hand. But it's the chocolate that's the goodness.
    Absolutely, but is Arai Godiva and HCL Nestle, or are they two flavors of Lindt truffles? A technical discussion would get old fast. It would end up in a religious flame war between those who believe you get what you pay for and those who believe sometimes you pay just for a label.

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    Carbon fiber is lighter, that might help prevent whiplash somewhat as it decreases the mass of the stuff above your neck. Do people get whiplash from motorcycle wrecks? Or if you get a stiff neck from riding, a lighter helmet should help with that.
    Weight is more of factor before the crash than during it, as long as the shell isn't too light/flimsy to withstand the crash. If most of a rider's trips are short, then it doesn't matter much. By the end of a 500+ mile day, it can make a difference. But the aerodynamics of the lid is going to be more important than the weight.

Just in case my point was lost in my first reply - by far, the most important factor is selecting a helmet is fit.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I LOVE my shark, which has a carbon shell. It's also about $500 more than the HJC. Probably not worth it at all, but I dig the Sharks fo sho.

CCS/LRRS #83

I just bought the FS-15 in black and can say that I'm pretty happy with it. The fit is good, comfortable, not the quietest helmet in the world, but that's ok. The weight is noticable. I still have my old KBC helmet and weighed both, the FS-15 was about 9 oz lighter, and it is pretty noticeable when wearing it. I also picked up a mirrored visor for it and it's good quality. The only thing I do with every helmet I own is add a Respro Foggy mask, I've always had problems with the inside of the visors fogging (esp on cold mornings), this puts an end to it completely.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.
    That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    - Ernest Hemingway
    ---------------------------------------------

I have the carbon AC-12 and I love it. It doesn't fog up on me, it's light weight, and it fits great.

One reason I didn't end up with a carbon AC-12 is because the overall size of the helmet is larger than some of the nicer brands. I have a pretty small frame (5'8", 150-155 lbs) so I opted for something that looked a little smaller. I ended up with a Sparx S-07 for just over $100. It barely weighs anymore than the HJC Carbon helmets and it came with a smoked visor as well. I also really like the fact that it is ECE 22.05 certified rather than Snell. The only downside? It doesn't look as badass.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams