Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

HJC RPHA line

HJC RPHA line

I'm in the market for a new helmet after my trusty Arai met the pavement. I had a Vector II which after trying Shoei, Shark and a few other brands was the best fit. I could wear that thing for 12+ hours in comfort. The liner and internal head shape fit me perfect. I'd love to get another one but the price for one with graphics is not feasible right now.

The RPHA is looking like a solid contender but HJC's reputation is a little off putting. Online reviews are good but I like to hear from actual users. Anyone using the RPHA 10, 11 or 11 pro? I'm liking the fact that a chin skirt, dark visor and pinlock are included in the price of the helmet. They seem like a tremendous value for the money. If it makes a difference this will be a dual purpose helmet for 90% commuting and some track use next season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: HJC RPHA line

My teammate has had a few of them and loves them.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I have an RPHA-10 and have had 2 RPS-10s (which was the predecessor to the RPHA-10).

One of the RPS-10s was used only for track days / racing. I scuffed it in a crash. The other was my daily commuter. After about 40k miles I decided it was tired enough to get replaced with the RPHA-10.

I've been very happy with them. Replacement shield / padding / pin locks have always been available. I've never worn an Arai, so I can't compare them, but I've been very happy with my HJCs.

I wore an RPHA 10 for two seasons of racing and street at the same time. Still using it for street 4 years later after a few track crashes that scuffed it. It has pockets for my Sena speakers, and my glasses fit in it. Shields are affordable and easy to change. Could have more ventilation, which is supposed to be fixed on the 11. Very happy with them, am looking forward to buying an 11. I don't know how it compares in fit to your Arai.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

WBW raves about the ventilation and I tend to trust their reviews which seem pretty honest.

The chin vent in the RPS-10 wasn't great, but I've been impressed with the top vents. The chin vent was significantly better in the RPHA-10 than the RPS-10. If they've improved it again in the 11 it's probably really good.

I also my be wrong about my track / race helmet being an RPS-10. I had the same one as Doug. Same graphics even. Maybe I had 1 RPS-10 and 2 RPHA-10s.

Doug also mentioned shield changes. Exceptionally easy. It takes less than 10 seconds. I ended up with 3 shields... One clear, one clear with the pin lock in, and one shaded. Just switch between them as needed.

Like my rpha10. Only complaint is the pinlock sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    The chin vent in the RPS-10 wasn't great, but I've been impressed with the top vents. The chin vent was significantly better in the RPHA-10 than the RPS-10. If they've improved it again in the 11 it's probably really good.

I also my be wrong about my track / race helmet being an RPS-10. I had the same one as Doug. Same graphics even. Maybe I had 1 RPS-10 and 2 RPHA-10s.

Doug also mentioned shield changes. Exceptionally easy. It takes less than 10 seconds. I ended up with 3 shields... One clear, one clear with the pin lock in, and one shaded. Just switch between them as needed.
    Yeah, trying not to make myself sound like the slow kid here but I struggled to change shields on my Vector, and the price of replacements was offputting. Even worse was I work nights, so I was constantly going from clear to dark.

I've used a could rpha's for racing. The shape fits good, I've been happy with them. You can usually find them cheap on newenough.com

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

My only reservation about buying an 11 this year is a lack of color schemes/graphics that interest me. Same problem with the 10, my Combust was the only one I liked.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I like the darter scheme, kind of a red while and blue deal. I wish they had more schemes that weren't aimed at at marvel comics and star wars.

I have the lorenzo speed machine. I thought it was cool looking. Top of the rpha price range though.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Hypertarded

No input on the HJC models, but i'm looking to replace my Arai vector 2 as well, another option you may want to check out that is listed as having a similar "intermediate oval" shape as the Vector 2 is the Bell Star. Seems to get really good reviews, may want to check it out as an alternative, Cyclegear carries them if you want to try one on, just my $0.02.

an HJC saved my buddy's life. may not be the best fit and Finnish but they work

2016 triumph street triple R
    "A Journey must begin with one step"

Used a RPS-10 which was the predecessor to the RPHA-10. It was one of the most comfortable fitting helmets I have owned to date. Probably the second lightest feeling helmet I have owned other than a Suomy. Ventilation is not great on this model though. It did get a scuff or two from some track riding off's and held up fine. Still using it to date.

I currently have an Arai Signet-Q which is supposed to be the intermediate oval shape, and it fits quite well like the HJC, but I prefer the HJC, just a little more comfortable. The Arai has just as bad or worse ventilation than the HJC RPS-10. It does feel light because the weight is evenly distributed around your head. Some helmets can feel heavy because the weight is not centered and requires you to compensate by holding it upright with your neck muscles.

My next helmet will be an RPHA-11. I have tried them on and it is a good fit for my head and I was happy with the RPS-10 I had. Good price for what you get.

Did you try them on in CT? I've been to 4 places and none had it in stock.

I went from Scorpion 1000 to this helmet and like it a lot but it is very noisy comparing to he scorpion so that's my only dislike about it

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

I have been riding the street with HJC's for about 8 years and racing with them for 5 years... I wear the FG-17 on the track, similar construction to the RPS/RPHA line and just as good. have scuffed up a couple without any head trauma. HJC gets my vote all day!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Did you try them on in CT? I've been to 4 places and none had it in stock.
    Yes, New England Cycle Center in Hartford has the RPHA-11 available for trying on. May want to call just to confirm they have your size in stock for trying on. Was there this weekend and tried a large on.

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    I have been riding the street with HJC's for about 8 years and racing with them for 5 years... I wear the FG-17 on the track, similar construction to the RPS/RPHA line and just as good. have scuffed up a couple without any head trauma. HJC gets my vote all day!!!
    I've gone down with two FG17's. One I literally landed on my head over the handlebars. Had a concussion, but otherwise out of the hospital in two hours and was fine. It looked like I bowled it down the street by the time I was done rolling. Has saved my previously surgically repaired head - twice, so +1 for the money and fit.

The FG17 is damn close to the RHP stuff at a fraction of the price. I use one as well...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

After I posted this I ran around to a few places to try on the RPHA. No place that carried HJC had any of the RPHA line which was frustrating. I figured it didn't really matter over the winter so I let it go to see if they came out with any new graphics. They did.....cartoon characters. Not sure WTF they are thinking with a Disney move themed motorcycle helmets when everyone else is doing race replicas or modern style graphics. In any case, their 2018 lineup is pretty lame in my opinion. Motorcyclegear.com has the
    RF 1200 with Marquez graphics for 379, so after trying that on and loving it, and finding out they make a photochromatic shield I was pretty much sold on Shoei.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-15-18 at 07:06 PM.

I picked up a HJC RPHA 11 Spiderman on closeout for $250. Not too concerned about color scheme per se, so it doesn't bother me and the price was right. I like the fit and feel. Loved my old Shoei X12 too, but it was a bit heavier.