Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honda cb919 hornet alternatives

Lifer

Honda cb919 hornet alternatives

I have really been regretting my cb919 and since its nearly new bike time i would like to find a bike similar to it. If i could find another 919 that was in really good shape and not across the country i would buy it in a heartbeat but the more i look the less likely that appears to be possible.

What would be a close replacement? I really like the kawi 900rs but i dont want abs or traction control if i can help it. Same goes for the yami xsr.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Honda cb919 hornet alternatives

No FZ1?

> i don't want abs or traction control if i can help it

This is only going to get harder as I think some Euro regs mandate ABS. I think Suzuki may still offer the GSX-S750 in a non-ABS version, or did in 2020?

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Lifer

The fz1 never really did it for me. I like the xsr, just not all the tech it comes with.

I find myself liking tech in motorcycles less and less. It takes away the riding experience for me. A bike i bought last year is from 1934 and that could certainly use some tech but todays bijes just have too much. The bike i am buying to replace the cb will most likely be the last modern bike i ever buy.

Where have you been looking? There’s a handful of 919’s listed on Marketplace for $3000ish.
    There’s a mint-looking 06 with 5k miles in CT listed for $3800.
    I picked up my 2007 last spring for a steal of a deal, drove down to Baltimore to get it.

In terms of similar bikes, there’s the CB1000R that replaced it, the Kawasaki Z1000, the GSX-S series, FZ9, etc. These are all sportier than the 919 though, they don’t have quite the relaxed easy-to-ride feel of the 919, if that’s what you liked.

Edit: I just sent this guy a message to see if he ever ended up selling it https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-919.1455213/

Last edited by MattR302; 12-07-20 at 10:14 AM.

I was going to say the XSR900, but rider aides. Is it really that much of a deal breaker? I’m doing an 890 Duke in the spring, rider aides are all adjustable and you can disengage abs if you want.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Where have you been looking? There’s a handful of 919’s listed on Marketplace for $3000ish.
    There’s a mint-looking 06 with 5k miles in CT listed for $3800.
    I picked up my 2007 last spring for a steal of a deal, drove down to Baltimore to get it.

In terms of similar bikes, there’s the CB1000R that replaced it, the Kawasaki Z1000, the GSX-S series, FZ9, etc. These are all sportier than the 919 though, they don’t have quite the relaxed easy-to-ride feel of the 919, if that’s what you liked.

Edit: I just sent this guy a message to see if he ever ended up selling it https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-919.1455213/
    No facebook for me so its ebay and craigslist mostly. Occasionally a few pop up on cycletrader as well. There in one in manchester nh now but it has too many miles for the price they want.

I want to like the GSXS line but i cant get over the looks. The 1000 seems like it would be good though, even the 750.

I want to like the cb1000r but i dont.

I hear yeah, but having ABS was such a godsend on the street. why such the aversion to TC? times with my vfr1200 if like to have it for the off chance that i was a little judicious with the throttle.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I was going to say the XSR900, but rider aides. Is it really that much of a deal breaker? I’m doing an 890 Duke in the spring, rider aides are all adjustable and you can disengage abs if you want.
    I may end up flexing on the tech but as of now i am trying to avoid them. Too me the tech takes away from the bike. I hated the mode settings on my r1, i saw no point to them for myself yet i had to have them. Its just a quirk i have.

Ktm looks mint though.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I hear yeah, but having ABS was such a godsend on the street. why such the aversion to TC? times with my vfr1200 if like to have it for the off chance that i was a little judicious with the throttle.
    TC is fine for the big bore bikes but im not after that for my next bike. Something thats easy to live with but a decent punch. There wont be a wet riding or track days on it, just streets. I know there could be times when i wished for TC and abs and modes but they would be few and far between. I should be allowed to control the bike myself, thats most of the fun.

That ADV bike looks mint too. Good price as well.

The first gen (08-16) CB1000R had no fancy electronics, although the styling is polarizing.

The current CB650R, ABS/TC is optional.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

If you can get past the swelling tank issues the base model 1098 SF is a fun if not relaxing ride. Spends most of the time trying to kill you so there's the entertainment factor.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    If you can get past the swelling tank issues the base model 1098 SF is a fun if not relaxing ride. Spends most of the time trying to kill you so there's the entertainment factor.
    What is this tank swell issue and can it be fixed? Its an interesting bike for sure.

FYI, this one is still available. I PM’ed you the guys contact info.

Like Facebook or not, FB Marketplace is the new Craigslist. For every 1 (insert bike model) listed on Craigslist, there’s probably 5-10 on Marketplace.

Back on alternatives: what about a Speed Triple? Might not have the Honda reliability, but it doesn’t have the Honda vanilla-ness either.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    What is this tank swell issue and can it be fixed? Its an interesting bike for sure.
    There are aluminum tanks available, or a coating you can put in a new tank. it’s really not a big deal, just something ducatisti bitch about.

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    I had one, can confirm that the bike wants to kill the rider.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Or, just drain the tank and leave the cap open over the winter and the tank will return to normal size as it dries out.

I never rode a 919 but I had a Ducati SFS. I can't imagine it being any remotely close to it. Yes it want to kill you but man did it make me feel like a damn badass every time I rode it.

How about the new Triumph Trident?

Honda cb919 hornet alternatives-20180124_230108-jpg

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Lifer

I have thought about a Triumph but to be honest i am not all that crazy about the brand.
    The Ducati has my interest though. It is a bit fugly but so am i. The 848 seems like the more tame option. I got to research them abit more. I do remember reading about the tank swelling issue now. That may be enough to put me off if they get worse over time.

Lifer

FYI, this one is still available. I PM’ed you the guys contact info.

Like Facebook or not, FB Marketplace is the new Craigslist. For every 1 (insert bike model) listed on Craigslist, there’s probably 5-10 on Marketplace.

Back on alternatives: what about a Speed Triple? Might not have the Honda reliability, but it doesn’t have the Honda vanilla-ness either.
    Thanks for that. I will contact him later about it. I may even dig up my old ADV account.

Not having Facebook is a job requirement as well as a personal preference.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I never rode a 919 but I had a Ducati SFS. I can't imagine it being any remotely close to it. Yes it want to kill you but man did it make me feel like a damn badass every time I rode it.

How about the new Triumph Trident?

Honda cb919 hornet alternatives-20180124_230108-jpg
    Since buying a bike in May I haven’t been keeping track and hadn’t heard of the Trident and got pretty excited, but first look it just looks like a Triumph Gladius

ZRX!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    ZRX!
    Yes, that is certainly an option. Gotta be green though.

I've never ridden a CB919 but I recently bought an XSR900 in 60th anniversary yellow/black. You can turn TC off with the touch of a button. I expect front tires to last indefinitely, with it rarely coming into contact with the ground. I'm really enjoying it, both in looks and riding.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I have a 2012 Ducati Monster 1100evo. i think their missions are similar. Comfortable, stylish, can be used for relaxed riding, but has a sporty flair. I love my monster, but ride it less and less as I have a few other bikes. I use my street triple R with the Givi trunk for commuting. Check out the Monster as well.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Monsters have always been on my radar but i admit my knowledge of the various models and differences between them all is limited. Ive actually been to a dealership twice over the years to purchase one but always walked out after looking at the fit and finish and seeing the service requirements. That was at least a decade ago and im sure things have changed or at least i hope things have changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast