Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Honda Hornet nuts here?

Lifer

Any Honda Hornet nuts here?

I just picked up a decent cb919 for pocket change and wondering what I should do with it. Bike rides nice and has been maint itained mechanically but cosmetically was left to rot outside.
    I do know the suspension is garbage so that needs to be fixed. The rear is stiff as hell on its lowest setting and the front is mush with no adjustment possible. It dives hard when on the brakes. Im going to look for an f2 or f3 rear fox shock but I don't know what I can do for the front. Certainly springs are needed.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Any Honda Hornet nuts here?

I just traded mine, it was a great bike. Check out Wrist Twisters - Motorcycle Forum it's sort of the unofficial home base for 919 owners.

If your rear is stiff it must be an 02 or 03 model, they came with a hard rear spring. How much do you weight? I took all the preload out and was OK with it at 170lbs, not that it was great but I wasn't going to spend money on it. I've heard of modified f4 shocks going into 919s but Kyle Racing sells the triple clicker Ohlins for $919 shipped so if you're going to spend that much you might as well go all the way. Forks do suck and springs are progressive, you could replace springs and valves or replace the forks with resprung/valved f4 forks or go nuts and replace with RC51 USD forks but you'll need to change the front wheel and triples I believe (plus you'll want the brakes).

Fuel pressure regulators are known to go bad but an easy fix. Not much else breaks on these. If you need chain/sprockets I'd recommend 17/44 (as was recommended to me on the WT forum) unless you like it geared short. Think that's it, have fun!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

It is in fact an 02. I weight around 200 with gear. Its set at one and its a hard ride on the rear for sure. I think the weak front makes it feel worse than it actually is.
    I've been looking into f4 forks but I'm hesitant to buy.for fear of bent forks. If I found a known good set that might be a different story.
    Ohlins I think are too much for what I want to do with the bike. An f3 one sounds like a good Match. A used fox or penske is about as much as I would go for.

Get the stock stuff rebuilt/revalved with new springs.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Lifer

So I've ordered up a set of race tech springs and valves for the front end. New seals as well. That should sort out a lot of the front issues but I still won't have any real adjustment other than fork oil lever and spring shims.
    I'm still working on a plan for the back. I'm really leaning towards an f3 shock as a cheap quick improvement. I can't really justify spending 8 or 900 on an ohlins if I didn't even pay that much for the entire bike. As it is just the parts for the front put me dangerously close that mark.

Here's the other option that I've heard of, give Jamie at Daugherty in Indiana a call or email Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

I contacted him last year but decided against it, he said he'd supply and revalve/spring a f4 shock and it would cost $325. He's done it before and it should be pretty good. Might want to ask him about the forks too, he's done f4 forks before but finding them is more difficult.

What's the bike look like?

Last edited by Crimedog; 08-20-15 at 08:37 AM.

Lifer

Little ratty looking but runs well.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Here's the other option that I've heard of, give Jamie at Daugherty in Indiana a call or email Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

I contacted him last year but decided against it, he said he'd supply and revalve/spring a f4 shock and it would cost $325. He's done it before and it should be pretty good. Might want to ask him about the forks too, he's done f4 forks before but finding them is more difficult.

What's the bike look like?
    I don't have any experience with 919s, but many VFR owners swear by Jamie as he does a 919/929 rear shock swap for VFRs, as well as fork upgrades.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

thats another one of those great bikes that just never sold in the US. america just doesnt seem embrace the big bore nakeds unless its a S3. definitely a bike that i would like to ride one day.
    IIRC, 2 bros made a 4>2>1 exhaust and it came with a dummy can that you could store stuff in

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    thats another one of those great bikes that just never sold in the US. america just doesnt seem embrace the big bore nakeds unless its a S3. definitely a bike that i would like to ride one day.
    IIRC, 2 bros made a 4>2>1 exhaust and it came with a dummy can that you could store stuff in
    Its called the stash. A little pricey. I'm just going to gut the stock cans for now. Maybe Danmotos later. A lot of exhaust choice have been discontinued so pickings are slim.

I agree its a forgotten bike which is a shame but I Blane it mostly on Honda. Way back in the day when they first came out I wanted one so bad I could taste it. After reading the reviews I backed off and kept away. Now that I finally got one I know I wouldn't have been happy with it in my earlier days. I don't really care for the power curve of the motor and I can't take the suspension. Both deal killers if I was paying a lot for one of these. For such a heavy bike the suspension should have been better from the get go. The first 3 years of production with an adjustable-less suspension probably killed it for the future.

I don't think the adjustable suspension on the later models was really an improvement, just adjustable crap.

IMO the best exhaust modification is to find a cbr900rr header because with a very small amount of modifications you can get a cheap low mount exhaust. If you're a fan of the high mount you have lots of options but it'll probably cost you more money.

Looks like the bike is in great shape! Low miles I'm assuming.

that thing is slick looking man!

1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade ::::Current:::::
    1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F ::: Project::::
    2012 Honda CBR600RR :::::Current::::
    2004 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::
    2005 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::

Lifer

Semi low. Around 10k. Left outside in the sun every summer leaning against a house. Half the bike is really aged and rusty while the other side is spotless. Runs really good though and he always had the services done ahead of time. He was clearly more concerned about it running right rather than keeping it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Semi low. Around 10k. Left outside in the sun every summer leaning against a house. Half the bike is really aged and rusty while the other side is spotless. Runs really good though and he always had the services done ahead of time. He was clearly more concerned about it running right rather than keeping it clean.
    People do strange things to bikes. I was wondering why the lower triple was that color. I had 36k on mine and it ran like a top.

Lifer

That side of the bike is rusty. Other side is perfect. When I do the forks I'm going to repaint or replace the triples.

I'd used Jamie's reworked F4i shock along with Racetech springs and valves on another Honda with poor factory suspension (VTR1000). The forks and shock were probably at the same level of adjustability and compliance (pretty much crap from the factory). For the most part I was OK with the ride improvement as I knew it would be used only on the street. The main issue I had was that you needed 2 Racetech valves per fork (compression and rebound) and they weren't cheap. The springs and compression valve helped dive and ride quite a bit but w/o correcting the rebound bumpy roads were best avoided at speed.

Lifer

I am going to be happy with just reducing the dive. Its so bad I just don't feel right riding the bike like I normally do. I ride it like my Harley which is slow and prodding. Just slow and steady with that bike until I get the fork parts in. The rear isn't so bad, just harsh. I can handle that.

I don't have much to compare it to but I never had a problem riding the 919 too fast. I've never had a sport bike and I wasn't trying to trail brake though, mostly setting corner speed beforehand. Here's one of the reasons that I never did anything to the suspension (comfort vs performance):
    The 919 in general

Lifer

My trouble is I mostly ride sport bikes and come to expect certain behaviors from bikes. I really really have to keep myself under control on my sportster or it will kill me. Almost every time I take it out I spook myself by dragging my pegs and I'm trying not too. The 9er is the same way. I have to take it easy because its going to scare me. The front dives so much on light braking that I think I might be in some serious trouble if I try to brake hard while corning or in a panic situation.

Gotcha. Well if you feel like updating this thread with what you do and how you like it I for one will be interested to read it!

Lifer

Well I started digging into the bike today. Performed a baffelectomy so the bike sounds like it should. Changed out the levers for so straight short ones. I got the springs and oil in but no seals yet for the forks so those will have to wait.
    I gotta say I like this bike. A little bit of money is going a long way to changing its attitude. Opening up the exhaust helped a lot and was free. I think the fork rebuild is going to make thus this come alive. I'm not crazy about the handle bars that are on it stock so I'm going to look and see what other recommend. I don't know exactly what I don't like about them but they just feel odd.

Stock bars are crap. I've head of people putting rental 7/8 ultra lows all the way up to highs and they've always loved it. I went ultra low because I wanted to be slightly more committed and thought they were great.

Lifer

Well I got the springs and valves in. I'm still waiting on the dust seals so I haven't been able to test them. I spent a good part of the day looking into getting set up right so I don't have to keep taking it apart. I settled on 130mm for the fork oil and 5.25in for the spring spacer. I'm pretty sure the spacer it too much but I won't know till I get it together. Stock I had 50mm for sag, I'm hoping to get around to 30mm front.
    I took a chance with the .85 springs but I think it will work fine. It's not a race bike and I wanted to keep it a little plush. I plan on dropping about 20lbs from the bike too. Racetech is saying a .925 for my size and a stock bike. I took several liberties to come up with a .85 spring.

I picked up a Hornet last summer.

Backstory: I had a Yamaha FZ6 that was my street bike for practically forever. About 2 years ago, I made the mistake of test riding a very well equipped Tiger1050, fell in love, and sold the FZ6. After a few months, the height and heft of the Tiger started getting old. Sold the Tiger to a friend and found a nice DR65o and was enjoying the lighter weight bike for my backroads commute. A couple months later, I stumbled across an ad for a very low priced 919, thought "hmm, this is better for occasional highway or 2up than my DR..." Made the guy an even lower offer, he said "sure", drove down to Baltimore and grabbed it.

It's a 2007, had 33k miles on it. It's not perfect condition but certainly not a beater. Had a solo Corbin seat, renthal handlebar, pelican cases on Givi racks, and a Givi front fairing that wasn't installed. A folder with paperwork showed the original owner purchased it in San Diego. The kid I bought it from had it for 2 years and put ~300 miles on it.

I swapped the handlebar for a taller one from a quad that I used on my FZ6, purchased longer SS brake lines to use this. Replaced the bar-end mirrors with some cheap standard mount ones from amazon that are surprisingly good. I traded the solo Corbin for a dual Corbin which I found more comfortable. Adapted the racks back to use the Givi cases I already had. Installed the Givi fairing, I like the looks better without it, but it does make a noticeable difference. The suspension isn't great, but for my purposes I don't really care. I do have some 1.0 springs from my old F4 track bike kicking around that I might drop in.

It basically feels about the size of my FZ6 with a motor a lot more similar to the Tiger. Seat height is low enough that I can back it down my steep driveway between the cars with no issues. Accidentally wheelied it whacking the throttle 2-up. It's probably a "boring" bike by most standards, doesn't particularly do anything well, but it seems to be a pretty good general street bike.

Before and after pics
    Any Honda Hornet nuts here?-919b-jpg
    Any Honda Hornet nuts here?-919-mo-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I used to looooooove the 919 when it was in showrooms.

I remember seeing one that had a dual stock exhaust but one of the cans was actually storage? Or am I insane.

I wonder how the new cb650 compares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast