Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hyper 796 for commuting into cambridge?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Hyper 796 for commuting into cambridge?

Live in wilmington and commute in thru woburn/mystic valley pky thru somerville to central square every morn at 615am
    leave at 3-330

The Hypermotard caught my eye and seems the 796 is a good used deal at around 4k possibly.

any input? good commuter bike? the ride is 45 min or so and I'm on 95 on the way out for maybe 5 miles some stop and go.

Or should i just toss the idea and forget about it? I'd only use this for commuting really.. no long rides or similar

i was even thinking about getting an e start on my xr650r motard ( cost about $1200) that'd be fun with the torque

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Hyper 796 for commuting into cambridge?

I think it would kickass

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Any motard style bike is going to put you at an advantage in city/stop and go commuting provided your feet can comfortably reach the ground. Motards and ADV pretty much the tallest option out there so they'll give you the best visibility. Motard suspension will be the most friendly on the chewed up road surface and weigh significantly less than ADV bikes.

The only thing I'd want to confirm is how well they cool in stop and go traffic....which would likely be the downfall of riding the XR in traffic. Air cooled is not going to be super happy in that situation.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

yes .. air cooled, never ridden an air cooled before. the xr is liquid cooled at least, i've heard of some putting fans on the radiators to help.

hmmmm......

found this on a relatively quick search...
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

just need to figure out service intervals/ cost

hmmmm......

The seat height can get a little irritating in stop and go, but I would probably prefer commuting on a Hyper to pretty much anything else that matches it in performance. One thing I didn't like about mine(1100) was the insanely loud exhaust. It also wasn't very good at crawling, but that could have been a mechanical issue. It got really "herky jerky" at crawl speeds. Some of that may be perception due to the ridiculous low speed crawling my Z125 does, which I usualy commute on.

Big twins do not crawl well. Twist it and wheelie through. LOL

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    yes .. air cooled, never ridden an air cooled before. the xr is liquid cooled at least, i've heard of some putting fans on the radiators to help.
    definitely add a fan to the BRP if you intend on sitting in traffic with it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I added mirror wideners and a Puig touring screen to my hyperstrada and it does commutes and highway really well now. Not sure there are the same screen options for the hypermotard but would def recommend the mirror wideners. Even the liquid cooled 821 puts off some heat in Cambridge traffic; not sure I’d want the air-cooled experience under the same conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I've had my 2012 Hyper 796 since new, 22K on it now, I use it in all kinds of riding, local, 300 mile day-trips, whatever, with 22K miles on it now. I don't get on 95, but often go with the flow on Route 2. The heat never bothered me. I did wrap the midpipe, though. Re-geared it -1/+2 otherwise, no need for the top 2 or 3 gears. I have the stock seat, and yes it's a little tall, so just this year I got an adjustable rear link from Soupys Performance and dropped the rear about 3/4", left the front at stock height, which puts the bike at a normal stance, IMO. I've got the Fabbri screen, a small screen that diverts a lot of air. The Hyper 796 mirrors are in the handguards, so they are 'way out there, super-extended, you might say. Great bike.

For me to keep a bike for 6 years is unusual, often I'm selling or trading after 2.

... with OGIO tail bag and Wolfman Enduro tank bag.

Me: about 5'9" around 180# with 30" inseam.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 08-28-18 at 05:51 PM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

dam.. this is sounding like a reasonable bike for me to get......

damnit.

hmmmm......

I think it would make a fine choice. It's basically the same mechanical package as the aircooled Monsters of the period (and the current 800 Scrambler, for that matter), and those last forever if you use them regularly.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I'm so glad I don't live/work near Boston lol. I can't even bring myself to pull the bike out of the garage for my 10 minute commute into the millyard in Manchester.

I'll support anybody interested in buying a hyper though... one of the most fun bikes I've ever had the opportunity to ride. I only have a Multi because I wanted to do long trips on the weekends, otherwise there'd be a Hyper in my garage.

Lifer

I think it would be a great commuter, but as whynot did you should drop the front sprocket 1 tooth to a 14T unless it was done. I used my Monster 1100 for commuting in the city and the 796 should be better for that. Yes, it will put out some heat but you can get used to it

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

xxaarraa

I think the whole heat thing is a little overblown. Afterall, commuting in itself is never peaceful or relaxing. And commuting on a motorcycle is even worse, especially if you are not a fan of squid-style flip flops and t-shirt riding. Its going to be borderline torture anyway, no matter the chosen ride, so what's the big deal.

We live in the modern world where commuting is a necessary evil, so I wouldn't stress too much about whether the bike is putting out too much heat. You'll get used to it.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-29-18 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Well I had my shit all backwards...I was thinking of the XR650L which is air cooled....and I assumed the Duc of that vintage was liquid cooled. All around fail on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I think the whole heat thing is a little overblown. Afterall, commuting in itself is never peaceful or relaxing. And commuting on a motorcycle is even worse, especially if you are not a fan of squid-style flip flops and t-shirt riding. Its going to be borderline torture anyway, no matter the chosen ride, so what's the big deal.

We live in the modern world where commuting is a necessary evil, so I wouldn't stress too much about whether the bike is putting out too much heat. You'll get used to it.
    My concern wasn't about the rider overheating, it was the motorcycle. I was thinking his XR650 was air cooled....a big air cooled thumper would not like sitting in Boston traffic very much. Anyway...I was wrong on basically all fronts so it's a moot point anyhow.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The ONLY thing that a Hyper isn't "shit-eating-grin" inducing is on the highway, you're pretty much a sail, but 5 miles on the interstate is totally doable.

I've been caught in somewhat lengthy stop and go traffic, 90+ degrees, engine temps never got into the danger zone, even the slightest bit of movement seemed to help.

Oh, on-off throttle on big twins can be a challenge, make sure to get your throttle position sensor reset, that'll help a lot. If you still aren't satisfied you can adjust idle speed (increase it) or play around with the fueling.

I absolutely love my Hyper, such a great bike.

Hyper

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Lots of good vibes here for the Hyper.

Hard to compare the 796 directly with the 1100 or the liquid cooled models. The 796 is not too hot in traffic, not too loud (with stock exhaust), and I get 50+ mpg.

Re. on-off throttle, I use the Throttle Tamer throttle tube:
    G2 Ergonomics - Throttle Tubes and Moto Parts

That and the re-gearing (-1 on the front sprocket) really help.

You want to talk about heat ... when I had my S4R Monster, now that was heat-emitting. I can get caught in commuter traffic coming home if I don't time it right on weekdays, the last mile took me 30 minutes one time (never again), so I have to get off Route 2 before 4pm or after 7pm.

And don't believe everything you think.

.. this is some good info and has totally made me go into the " search " mode for a Hyper 4500 max price. but loks like the 796 is a very respectable machine

Those fold out mirrors.. though not my thing. but whatever.

hmmmm......

would anyone reccomend similar "styled bikes" as well?

hmmmm......

Lifer

The 796 should be a lot of fun. If you are purely looking for a commuter, the CB500X would fit as well having slightly taller suspension, 427 pound wet weight and a smooth engine. Somewhat soulless. I just got a street triple for my commute and I like it so far - smooth, nimble and fun

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

No not just lookign for a commuter beater i'd get a 03 sv650 or such. Want some "fun"/ looks and the hyper meets that, plust all that awful road in cambridge....Hyper could soak those bumps up more

I was looking at the triple but the fact I'd rarely get above 65mp and more than likely would be in the 25-40 range tops the Hyper caught my eye. I also like that seating position so much more....

hmmmm......

The hyper is in a class of it's own. THere truly aren't and similar styled bikes. It's singles, or ADV. This sits right in between for serious rowdy fun and practicality. I'm keeping mine long term.

Paul_E_D

Not to hijack into a buy my bike thread but I have a 2016 Hyper 939 and I love it in traffic (as much as you can love traffic!). For years I would take my old Buell X1 from Windham to Brighton down Storrow Dr, fun. My Hyper has three map settings Sport/Tour/Urban, Sport is lunky in stop and go while the other two flatten it out. H20 and oil cooled, no problem. I just put new Q3s on it last weekend and had oil changed. I pick up my new XDiavel S today, wow what a ride. My 53 year old damaged knees have had enough and prefer forward pegs.

2016 Ducati Hypermotard - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Rye, New Hampshire - Marketplace | Facebook

2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 / White - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, discount to any NESR's

Lifer

I once owned a DRZ400SM. I rode it to a Ducati demo event and demoed a Hyperstrada, 821 iteration, I think.
    Ergos felt a lot like the DRZ-SM; compact, low-ish bars, flat seat, comfortable seat-peg height. Little to no windscreen. Gauges nowhere near your line-of-sight. Very naked bike, hooligan feel. I loved it. The delta between it and my DRZ was of course it had a lot more motor.

I'd commute the hell out of a hyper.. strada or motard.

Also on my list would be any of the naked/upright modern universals; SV650n, FZ07, Monster, yadda yadda yadda. The big appeal of the hyper over these alternatives would probably be bar and seat height; you'll feel higher in traffic and have an easier time keeping your head on a swivel. I argue some bar risers would level that playing field. Or maybe just bars. I have some aftermarket aluminum bars on my SV and it's awesome.

Dual sports and ADVers make pretty good commuters too.

I'm doing I495 and I93 from the coast to Andover MA these days. Traffic has been asinine the last few days thanks to back to school. I'm doing it on a massive air-cooled Harley Road-bling. The engine heat is noticeable. I can't commute in the 'stich/ATGATT in this weather on that bike. Not sure I'd have been able to on a liquid cooled bike either. But I wouldn't mind a radiator with fans in this weather and that traffic. Your situation may be even worse.

All that said, I've been tempted to split a few times recently.

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-30-18 at 07:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast