Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hyper 796 for commuting into cambridge?

Re: Hyper 796 for commuting into cambridge?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    All that said, I've been tempted to split a few times recently.
    Bubs. Think of the children....

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My children? Or the children of the smug, texting asshat who blocks me because splitting "isn't fair!"?

3 Not allowed!

My children? Or the children of the smug, texting asshat who blocks me because splitting "isn't fair!"?
    I hate when they do that! If I had to commute, I would be an outlaw and safely lanesplit.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I hate when they do that! If I had to commute, I would be an outlaw and safely lanesplit.
    Down here in Texas, when two lanes merge into one, people over enthusiastically pull over to the remaining lane about a mile ahead of the actual merge. AND many of them deliberately drive between the two lanes slowly, blocking you if you try to still stay on the open lane, since it's open for another 3 quarters of a mile.

Similar to blocking lane splitting, people in general seem to get petty really easy when driving.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-30-18 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Down here in Texas, when two lanes merge into one, people over enthusiastically pull over to the remaining lane about a mile ahead of the actual merge. AND many of them deliberately drive between the two lanes slowly, blocking you if you try to still stay on the open lane, since it's open for another 3 quarters of a mile.
    That's actually becoming fairly common here. I have no shame and will gladly use half the shoulder to go around such asshattery.

Conversely there are people that make lanes. I work near part of I93 where the break-down lane is legal for use during commute hours. The ramp I use to get onto 93 is two lanes at the top. At some point I believe it knocks down to 1 lane, but as is typical for Mass highway the markings are long gone, so who knows where. People will drive 2 wheels up over the curb to get around you making the ramp 2-lanes the whole way. At the bottom it's a full on free-for-all with traffic from 93 in the break-down lane and two columns merging in from the ramp. Total chaos. With the 'strom I was somewhat adept at plowing through, pseudo splitting. The Harley is more of a handful. Doubly so as the pavement is total shit right there.

It's mayhem. Clearly rules are bent.

Right there I wish I were on an ADV'er again. Something more nimble, more upright and with more suspension. A few miles later we're doing 80 with the cruise set, feet on the highway pegs and the Hardly-ableson shines.

Sometimes the right weapon for one instance is all wrong for the next.

0 Not allowed!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    Not to hijack into a buy my bike thread but I have a 2016 Hyper 939 and I love it in traffic (as much as you can love traffic!). For years I would take my old Buell X1 from Windham to Brighton down Storrow Dr, fun. My Hyper has three map settings Sport/Tour/Urban, Sport is lunky in stop and go while the other two flatten it out. H20 and oil cooled, no problem. I just put new Q3s on it last weekend and had oil changed. I pick up my new XDiavel S today, wow what a ride. My 53 year old damaged knees have had enough and prefer forward pegs.

2016 Ducati Hypermotard - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Rye, New Hampshire - Marketplace | Facebook

2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 / White - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, discount to any NESR's

Pretty and seemingly worth the price but out of my range right now.....

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Husqvarna 701 Enduro or SM (KTM 690 Enduro or SM) would be an option but as others have mentioned they are a big singles. Similar riding position to Hyper but Hyper has more streetable motor. Yamaha FZ07, FZ10 other options that would be similar with different type of motor so would be slightly different riding characteristics.

0 Not allowed!

Iíve been checking out hypers recently. I rode 796 for a quick spin and thought it was cool. Really like to try the current 939. Unfortunately lots of info out there on the SP but the basic model is more my price point.

0 Not allowed!

I considered a SP but I couldn't justify the price jump myself. Sits a little bit higher and has adjustable Ohlins, same 939 performance.

0 Not allowed!

I drove one of those FZ09's recently. The motor is NASTY. I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with one.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post

Hard to compare the 796 directly with the 1100 or the liquid cooled models. The 796 is not too hot in traffic, not too loud (with stock exhaust), and I get 50+ mpg.
    This is a good point, the 796 is probably less lumpy at lower rpm's too.

0 Not allowed!
    Hyper

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

So i'm in active search for one...... A hyper 796
    Any areas to worry about maintenance intervals etc , it s a 2v motor so i'm not toooooo worried.

Seeing some on FB for around 6K list ) '08- '10. Seeing its winter I think I should be able to get 5200 out of them

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12