Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Re: how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Idk man, my old 900ss has over 30k care free miles on it. Sounds like you just got a lemon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

I absolutely LOVE mine for everything except highway riding, anything over 70mph really really sucks because of the wind blast. Back roads, urban/suburban riding, track days, all that is awesome.

Mine's a 1100 non-S, bought the bike with a bunch of nice mods. Ohlins cartridge kit, Ohlins shock, Ohlins damper, Termi 2-1 with ECU, tail tidy, open clutch cover, etc... I've since added pod filters, stacks and a DP seat.

And fwiw, I've put about 8,000 trouble free miles on mine. Maintenance is really easy too, everything is just right there for you.

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-847 by , on Flickr

Hyper in Scituate by , on Flickr

Last edited by jeantarrou; 09-12-15 at 08:51 AM.
    Hyper

I just bought a leftover 13 hyperstrada. I had the same limphome issue once. Dealer performed a recall part replacement on my throttle and all is fine. The 821 motor is a gem and the bike itself is a hoot to ride and all day comfy.

There are Ducati owners, and then there is everyone else. If you get all pissy over little things that require a tiny bit of thought to sort out, then you best move along. For those willing, there are really no bikes that compare. The hyperstrada is in it's own market segment.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The hyperstrada is in it's own market segment.
    I'll agree with this. I test rode one and it isn't at all what I expected. I expected a sportier adventure bike. It really is closer to a bonsai, anything goes motard. The Hypermotard family line is obvious from the saddle.

Not a street bike for me. But a nifty bike nonetheless. Great engine.. if somewhat overkill for that application.

I am curious about your "all day comfy" comment. You and I must just have different reference points on that front. Do you have an up-sized windscreen? I was told Ducati has one in their accessory catalog. I can't for the life of me figure out how a screen that close to the rider can be really "all day" effective.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It really is closer to a bonsai.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I'll agree with this. I test rode one and it isn't at all what I expected. I expected a sportier adventure bike. It really is closer to a bonsai, anything goes motard. The Hypermotard family line is obvious from the saddle.

Not a street bike for me. But a nifty bike nonetheless. Great engine.. if somewhat overkill for that application.

I am curious about your "all day comfy" comment. You and I must just have different reference points on that front. Do you have an up-sized windscreen? I was told Ducati has one in their accessory catalog. I can't for the life of me figure out how a screen that close to the rider can be really "all day" effective.
    I should qualify that statement a little. I have never been spoiled by an overly large, faired street bike. This bike has by far the most wind protection of any I've owned.

The mx style tank punches a little hole in the wind for my legs and knees, although I wish it flared out just a tad more. The windscreen is stock, and pushed the air right to my shoulders creating zero buffeting. A big windscreen that buffets seems way more annoying than a small one that gives consistently smooth air. It's NOT a touring bike, but for ME, it is all day comfy, largely due to the seating position, but aided by good aero as well.

Paul_E_D

It was the perfect companion for my Cape Breton trip this summer. THe bags were plenty big for all day rides the included off bike hikes and other excursions, even for two of us as Kerry's SV had just a small tank bag. Since I did not slog the TCH miles on the bike, that was a non-issue

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I *felt* like the stock screen put the air on my crotch!
    Reach to bars was quite short. Nothing like the older ducati sport bikes I've ridden (which are torture racks). Gauges and fly-screen felt very close to the rider, had to look down quite a bit to see the instruments. Almost as if Ducati expected you to not give a damn about the speedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Idk man, my old 900ss has over 30k care free miles on it. Sounds like you just got a lemon.
    Oh definitely. I know tons of guys that love their Ducs and never had any problems. I got a lemon for sure.

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I just bought a leftover 13 hyperstrada. I had the same limphome issue once. Dealer performed a recall part replacement on my throttle and all is fine. The 821 motor is a gem and the bike itself is a hoot to ride and all day comfy.

There are Ducati owners, and then there is everyone else. If you get all pissy over little things that require a tiny bit of thought to sort out, then you best move along. For those willing, there are really no bikes that compare. The hyperstrada is in it's own market segment.
    Well Paul, you've only had the "limp home" issue right? You're lucky. If you had the fuel sensor issue like me and got stranded in Cape Breton on your trip then maybe you wouldn't make that "pissy over little things" comment! Lol. I like reliability with my bikes, cars, boats etc. Obviously ANY machine will breakdown sometime, that's not the argument. My gripe with Ducati was that I paid cash for a new bike and on MY FIRST RIDE EVER I was left stranded far from home. Then all the other issues started happening. It was a lemon. That's not what I wanted from a bike (lemon or not) and I'm basing my opinion on all my other bikes that I had. Not all were Jap either.....I also had a KTM RC8r. That was a reliable bike! I NEVER had one issue with it. EVER. And I averaged like 15k miles a year on it. I'll never buy a Ducati again.

Last edited by South of Heaven; 09-15-15 at 08:18 AM.
    [SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

I'm a little confused. Since you paid cash for the bike it shouldn't have had any defects?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

True, that would suck. I wasn't really pointing the finger at you. But there is a certain type of buyer who thinks that the dealer should always know best and they are jilted when the standard "throw parts at it" response doesn't sort things out. Often a little research before bringing a bike in goes a looooong way. Never buying a Ducati again based on a lemon is a little over the top. I've owned two now and they have been as reliable as anything else. Way more so than my Triumph. I have a pretty good dealer/mechanic though.

Paul_E_D

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

CCS/LRRS #83

That new Monster is the first Ducati to seriously interest me in years. Really hope they fixed all the niggles with the 1200S and that it's priced competitively.

CCS/LRRS #83

Bought a 2012 796 in April with about 2500 miles on. I'm close to 6000 now with no issues. Fingers crossed

Who has a Hypermotard here that they'd consider letting me test-ride? No need to wheelie the thing (honest! I don't even know how) I just want to get an idea of the ergonomics.

I'm looking at a '08 1100S but it's a few hours away in Connecticut...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Who has a Hypermotard here that they'd consider letting me test-ride? No need to wheelie the thing (honest! I don't even know how) I just want to get an idea of the ergonomics.

I'm looking at a '08 1100S but it's a few hours away in Connecticut...
    It feels like a bigger, comfier supermoto. IF you like your dirty bike ergos you'll love the 1100S.

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Although I demo'ed the 821 Hyper, I agree with that assessment entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    It feels like a bigger, comfier supermoto. IF you like your dirty bike ergos you'll love the 1100S.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going for honestly. I could put higher bars on the VFR and lower the pegs and shorten the gearing and.. yeah. I should start out with the right tool for the job.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

The hyper is upright, if a bit compact ergonomically. Mid controls and flat bars. It feels like a big, smooth, wicked powerful dirt bike on street tires. Minimalist instruments add to the naked experience even more. Pretty much exactly what it pretends to be. Oh, and the 821 sounded pretty tits too.

I got on it expecting it to be an adventure bike. It's not. Wouldn't want to tour much on it. But as an 'round town toy. Hooooboy! Fun.

The irony is I brought my DRZ400-SM to the demo event. I got back on my DRZ and the ergonomics were very similar. Just way (way, waaaaay) less power.

DS1100 FTW. Fewer issues, moar torque, better sound, last of the air-cooled (glorious) motors. Not hating on the 821, but there's no way I'd be buying one of those over a nice, clean 1100DS. Not a chance.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Just way (way, waaaaay) less power.
    More like way WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYOMFGWHYDOMYBRAKESUCKTOO less power

Lifer

Yeah, that.

I have the 821. As much as I like it, I'd save a few schillings and get a nice 1100. Same power output, more gruntier...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast